Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Homeless man is given winning lottery ticket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homeless man is given winning lottery ticket
    Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:35am
A popular youtube prankster (the magician that pranks fast food restaurants) set up a scenario with a store clerk to make a homeless man believe he has won on a $1000 lotto ticket. In reality, he had simply been given $1000 by the youtuber. The homeless man is grateful when he "wins" and tries to share the "winnings" with the youtuber.

..there is a debate as to whether this is exploitative or an actual nice gesture. What say you?

Sponsored Links

missunfoolish View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:38am
i just literally watched this

its sad to see people debating whether its for views or not
the fact is he gave that man some money and helped

foh with the views sh*t

i just think the best of people, and im sure the video makes people want to do something nice too, well for me it did at least

Edited by missunfoolish - Mar 05 2014 at 9:39am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:43am
Comment from one of the people thinking it was self serving.

First of all, you can't deny the fact that the video is self-serving. The intention and plan was clearly to make this into a youtube video for the purpose of entertainment. While the end results was ultimately good, some will no doubt find a distaste to it due to the fact that the homeless is used to prop up a message without their knowledge/consent. It is important in this case to consider the benefactor's intentions (ex: companies using homeless as wi-fi hotspots) or whether they're exploiting a homeless trope (Fitch for Homeless campaign.)

Second, the video is success because the result turned out to be good. However, one has to wonder what if the result didn't turn out to be good? What if the homeless was to take the money and run? freak out and make it into a funny youtube video? Will the youtuber still give away his money? Self-serving activism is usually not encouraged by large charities because you don't want to create an expectation for people when they're doing charity. Otherwise, like others said - you're treating the other individuals like a monkey, here's a banana only if you turn out to be a grateful homeless that plays to our feel-good needs (ex: local televisions during holiday times.)

Finally, despite of what many people think, some homeless do value their dignity before money. They don't always enjoy being treated "extra nicely" because someone perceive them as an outcast/differently or of special needs. The video would have perhaps better ended if the homeless was told that he was deceived, see if he still accepts the money and then interview him to ask how he feels about the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents from personal experience with volunteering & working with charity groups.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Mar 05 2014 at 10:19am
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

i just literally watched this

its sad to see people debating whether its for views or not
the fact is he gave that man some money and helped

foh with the views sh*t

i just think the best of people, and im sure the video makes people want to do something nice too, well for me it did at least

it is for views, and it is exploitative. the guy is in the business of getting views.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:50am
Fwiw, and it might not be worth much, the youtuber has also done at least 5 pranks in "the hood" videos.

missunfoolish View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote missunfoolish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:51am
that is so but if hes already popular on youtube, what does the views matter? 
he probably has a fanbase that he gets regular views from
i looked at the side, and alot of his videos were already in the millions for views.
not much of a difference...

bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:52am
vitaly would have a better argument

pt 2

GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:56am
Exploitative.

I hate when good gestures are made public by the person doing the good gesture. Like, it was a nice thing to do...but the very same act could've been done sans camera. I like when good deeds are done on the hush, the blessings will eventually come and not in the form of a youtube view.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

that is so but if hes already popular on youtube, what does the views matter? 
he probably has a fanbase that he gets regular views from
i looked at the side, and alot of his videos were already in the millions for views.
not much of a difference...

This is one of his most viral videos. Nearly 2 million in less than 24 hours. He's already made back the $1000.  Plus the "warm and fuzzy feel good" nature of this video will attract new subscribers that likely have never heard of his other pranks.

Original content creators are always looking for new ways to keep people interested in their channel, especially if they are only known for one thing; in his instance the fastfood prank videos.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Mar 05 2014 at 9:59am
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:59am
So the homeless man keeps the G??
If that's so, the video may be self serving but in my opinion it's earned the right to a little attention.

He's public with it but the choice is who is he trying to impress?? God or man.
If he's a non believer, he appreciates the attention given by his viewers.

Edited by Katrenia - Mar 05 2014 at 10:12am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic