Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Texturizers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHome text, and cutting yourself?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
awfullysaussy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home text, and cutting yourself?
    Posted: Jun 12 2006 at 3:50pm
I have never put a texturizer, perm or relaxer in my hair before but I've had them professionally done before.  I've been following up on what many of you have written.  So far some have liked Silk Elements, others Botanical, but what about Motions or Cream of Nature?  Have any of you tried their text if they have them?  I'm trying to create "the wet look", with cute ringlet curls.  My hair is roughly 3c/4a, medium shoulder length and VERY thick. 

Since my hair is shoulder length, and this would be the first time I've done a text myself, I was thinking about cutting.  What are your recommendations for cutting it off by myself? Have any of you cut your hair yourself, or have you gone to the shop.  Am I doin' too much?

Sponsored Links

babenurse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2006 at 1:56pm
Are you cutting dead ends or cutting it all off?  I use to cut my own hair but it never turned out right.  Some one told me when you braid it just cut the tips of the plats.  I have 4b/c hair about 7-8inches long just text with silk elements and I havent had my hair cut in almost 2 years.   Been natural for almost 3.  It never seems like it needs cut unlike when I had a perm and I had split ends.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2006 at 2:57pm
I was thinking of cutting it all off if it was going to be too much to texturize.  I like your idea of braiding and cutting the ends like that.  I've not heard of that b4, but that seems like a good way to trim the ends. 
babenurse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2006 at 6:08pm
it doesnt have to be short to get texturized you can do it while its long, The only reason to cut it if you have a perm in it or its damaged.  I went in walmart to get some products to hopefully bring out the curls and there was a lady working in the beauty shop with beautiful spiral curls she told me of some more products to use and she cut my hair.  She reccommends with natural hair to get it cut with each season 4x a year.  Like I said I got it cut almost two years ago, but she did a good job,
HairKrazee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2006 at 8:37am
Originally posted by awfullysaussy awfullysaussy wrote:

I have never put a texturizer, perm or relaxer in my hair before but I've had them professionally done before.  I've been following up on what many of you have written.  So far some have liked Silk Elements, others Botanical, but what about Motions or Cream of Nature?  Have any of you tried their text if they have them?  I'm trying to create "the wet look", with cute ringlet curls.  My hair is roughly 3c/4a, medium shoulder length and VERY thick. 

Since my hair is shoulder length, and this would be the first time I've done a text myself, I was thinking about cutting.  What are your recommendations for cutting it off by myself? Have any of you cut your hair yourself, or have you gone to the shop.  Am I doin' too much?

I've never used Cream of Nature Text; I use Luster's Shortlooks which I have no complaints.  My hairdresser initially put Motions text in but I don't think she left it in long enough.  I was trying to grow my hair out before I got the text; so I wore braids for most of the winter/spring.  Once I took the braids out, I had about 75% new growth.  So I decided for the summer that I would wear my hair short with as little maintenance as possible; I did the BIG CHOPClap.  And I LOVE IT!  IMO, whether or not you decide to cut your own hair or keep it long depends on how good you are at cutting and how much time you want to spend doing your hair...MORE HAIR MEANS MORE TIME....You only get the wet look by the products used daily, which sometimes can be as many as 4-5 different things. 

I hope this helps you in your decision..Embarrassed
ramaddox View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2006 at 5:52pm
Hello,
When I first did my texturizer, I cut my hair off myself.  I initially had a perm.  I just cut all the perm off to the new growth (which at the time I only had about 3/4" of new growth.)  Then I put the text in myself.  I just read alot of the replies on this site to decide which products to use.  I am still currently looking for the perfect regimen.

Back to the subject, I did the whole process myself.  I will see if I can post pics so you can see. 
sunbird View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2006 at 7:16pm
Hi babenurse,

I am shopping around and would like to know which products and technique you suggest for shoulder length, natural hair that needs texturizing?  I want to be more wash and go now that the summer is here.

Thanks.

Edited by sunbird - Jun 20 2006 at 7:18pm
DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2006 at 12:39am
Although a text is much less risky then a perm I would suggest you go to a hair dresser. This seems like a recipe for diseaster. Might as well have a professional handling your hair instead of sitting there worrying about whether or not you are doing something wrong. Especially considering that you have very thick hair, want a cut not a trim, and that you are applying chemicals to your head. That being said there are plenty of ladies that have had wonderful results and that will offer plenty of good advice. Good luck with your process, and cut.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2006 at 6:09pm
I actually like texturizers when they are short, but I don't know if I'll like it too short on my head Smile  I just went out to get the Silk Elements text, since that seems to be the most prefered, and I'll probably try calling a distributor for the WbD products.  In the meantime, I'll probably work w/ my home remedies to see how that will work.  I'll probably cut it myself, but only God knows if I'll get it all even.  After looking at past pictures of ppl w/ 3c/4a hair, I definately think mine falls more on the 4a...  I just don't ever get the coils.  Well I'll tell you all how it turned out.
babenurse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2006 at 4:30pm
Sunbird
 I agree with the idea that a professional should put your text in especially since your hair is so long and thick.  I have 4b hair and about 6 inches of hair.  I was going to the beauty shop but the appt time was too far away, so I put my own in.  I put the silk elements in the first time and left it on for 5 minutes got scared because it looked too straight and washed it out.  Well it softened my hair but didnt loosen the curls up much.  So a week later I put another one in, put conditioner with the text, combed it out and left it on for 12 minutes.  It was bone straight while i was combing and bone straight when I rinsed it out.  I just knew I messed up my hair, but as soon as I put my products in and let it air dry it curled right on up and it still isnt as loose as I want it but I dont think I will try a third time.  It has been trial and error with the products but I think the best combo so far has been, wet my hair or use this olive oil leave in moisterizer from the walmart beauty shop ($10/a bottle).  then in your hand mix the optimum oil and 3in1 moisterizer in your hand and put in hair.  As my hair drys the curls draw up and it's shiny.  It looks like a wet curly afro.  I haven't mastered the dry curly look yet.  Sorry so late to get back to you.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic