Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hispanic is the New...White?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Traylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Traylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:50pm

"I don't think voting the same ticket = solidarity

my co worker and I can but vote Dem and not be a united front"

I guess that’s where I respectfully disagree. To me, how you vote is everything. Be it quality education affordability and access, healthcare, financial security (women lose out on over $400,000 in wages in our lifetime because of wage inequality), taxes, civil rights, reproductive freedom, etc. these things determine our quality of life and access to opportunity.  

Many of the struggles the black community faces are in large part a direct result of public policy. Trayvon Martin might be at a college dorm right now laughing with his friends were it not for this country’s gun policy or lack thereof. The inner cities would be teeming with industry were it not for policies in the 80’s that busted up unions and rewarded companies for sending jobs overseas. Were it not for our idiotic drug policy, black men wouldn’t be more likely to be dead or in prison. Our communities wouldn’t be in such disrepair if we had fair taxation policies that didn’t allow the rich to pay lower tax rates than the middle class. Detroit didn’t become Detroit because of corrupt Democratic mayors, it got that way under Republican governors who siphoned the city dry. That two day pile-up in Atlanta during a mild snow storm wasn’t because Kaseem Reid didn’t do enough to prepare. It was because of the white suburbs and their slash and burn tax policies that left them unable to clear the roads.

I don’t really need someone of any racial persuasion to be my friend or ally on a personal level or to feel my pain. I need them to vote in a way that helps improve my economy and protects real freedom, like the freedom to not die of a preventable disease or get mowed down by some piece of isht with a gun. As far as I’m concerned, Latinos or any group are welcome to hate the hell out of us as long as they don’t stand in the way of our progress. And elections decide how and whether we progress or regress. 

Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:01pm

fair enough

you should post more Traylee

Traylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Traylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:19pm
Thanks, Samone. I've really enjoyed our discussion. It's so wonderful to be able to have respectful, intelligent discussion with other black women. Too many of us can tell you everything that ever happened on Basketball Wives, which I love too, but don't really know what's going on in the world around them. 
Traylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Traylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:21pm
Deleted. This comment system hates me. 

Edited by Traylee - Apr 17 2014 at 3:21pm
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:22pm

lol I enjoyed it too

I like to think bhm is more sophistiratchet than ratchet
whosbotheringme View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote whosbotheringme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Traylee Traylee wrote:

"
Because every bit of political and issue polling evidence says they already have. They're increasingly voting Democratic with 71% of their vote share going to President Obama in 2012. They're increasingly becoming more activist on issues of healthcare, income inequality, strengthening the social safety net, racial minority civil rights, police brutality, the drug war, voting rights, gun control, etc. These are issues on which we are aligned. They are apart of the Obama Coalition. It's not my opinion they will band with other minorities, it's a fact that they most definitely have politically. And politically is really all that matters. Yes, they have issues that may not be as big a deal to black folks and we have issues that may not necessarily be as significant to Latinos. But, even the modern civil rights movement has taken up immigration reform as a civil rights issue. There is definitely a belief within the activist community that all of our issues as minorities are common cause. 

I think a lot of why they voted Democrat this time around as a whole has to do with the illegal immigration situation, and how unfavorably the Republicans talked about it as a whole.  And despite that, both parties actively try to court the "hispanic vote".  It is assumed the majority of blacks in America will vote Democrat so neither side really courts us.

Let the Rebublicans start to dangle some carats their way, that vote will shift quickly.
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Originally posted by Traylee Traylee wrote:

"
Because every bit of political and issue polling evidence says they already have. They're increasingly voting Democratic with 71% of their vote share going to President Obama in 2012. They're increasingly becoming more activist on issues of healthcare, income inequality, strengthening the social safety net, racial minority civil rights, police brutality, the drug war, voting rights, gun control, etc. These are issues on which we are aligned. They are apart of the Obama Coalition. It's not my opinion they will band with other minorities, it's a fact that they most definitely have politically. And politically is really all that matters. Yes, they have issues that may not be as big a deal to black folks and we have issues that may not necessarily be as significant to Latinos. But, even the modern civil rights movement has taken up immigration reform as a civil rights issue. There is definitely a belief within the activist community that all of our issues as minorities are common cause. 

I think a lot of why they voted Democrat this time around as a whole has to do with the illegal immigration situation, and how unfavorably the Republicans talked about it as a whole.  And despite that, both parties actively try to court the "hispanic vote".  It is assumed the majority of blacks in America will vote Democrat so neither side really courts us.

[COLOR=#9900cc][/COLOR] 

Let the Rebublicans start to dangle some carats their way, that vote will shift quickly.

indeed...whosbotheringme
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:11pm

I follow several local news stations on my Facebook page. When a Black person is accused/charged/convicted of a crime, the Mexicans are right there w/ the racist Whites making racist comments. Even when it's posts about "Obummer", or when the Zimmerman/Martin trial was on. I even commented that if Trayvon had been "Jose Rodriguez", the same racist Whites that they were siding with would have been making derogatory racist comments.

All I know is San Antonio Mexicans seem "different" than California Mexicans. Even Mexicans I have discussed this with from other states, say they don't understand why Mexicans here are so racist, when you would think they would unite more with their "browner cousins"/Blacks. Hell, THEY don't even understand it.
Traylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Traylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 4:27pm
"I think a lot of why they voted Democrat this time around as a whole has to do with the illegal immigration situation, and how unfavorably the Republicans talked about it as a whole. "

Hispanics have been voting Democratic since they began tracking racial voting trends. FDR, Clinton, and LBJ each won over 90% of the Latino vote. Other than Reagan, George W. Bush did the best of any Republican candidate by winning a mere 44% of the Hispanic vote and that was because he had a pretty liberal immigration plan and Mexican family members. 
Also, look at how Cubans in Florida voted in 2012. For the first time since Castro came to power they split their vote between the two parties. Understand that in 2000, Al Gore only won 19% of their vote. Because of wet foot/dry foot (our immigration policy for Cuban exiles is basically that you can stay as long as you have one foot on dry land), Cubans aren't all that concerned about immigration policy. A 28+% swing in only 8 years is about something much bigger than immigration. 
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 7:20pm
Mexicans are racist as f*ck. But one thing I can say about them they look out for each other.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>