Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hispanic is the New...White?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:40am
yes of course (as in yes the hispanics who possess more european ancestry and can therefore have an easier time assimilating) and I think the article is more about the future of hispanic identity in relation to whiteness too...it's definitely a complex issue

More than 15 percent of new marriages are between partners of different races, and the large majority of them are Hispanic and Asian “out marriage” to whites. Will these children retain a racial identity, or will they join the vast tapestry of American whiteness?

Edited by CherryBlossom - Apr 17 2014 at 8:49am
Sponsored Links

Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:36am
I think so, they already called them WHITE as in race.
Any who they be thinking they're like white people too, just rude.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:28pm
a lot of the hispanics/Latinos I know hate white people but there's division within their community just like any other...and there's a huge number of them so I'm sure the white Hispanics or claim white Hispanics are the majority.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Apr 17 2014 at 12:28pm
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:31pm
Ask a white white person if they think light the pale mexican is white Embarrassed
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:37pm
Latinos want to be Latinos... Yes some want to assimilate and be considered white but I find that most don't want to be defined by a check mark on a box.

If you are Mexico you are Mexican, Cuba=Cuban, El Salvador=Salvadorian and the list goes on.

Edited by Rumbera - Apr 17 2014 at 12:38pm
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:00pm
they'd prefer to be identified by country of origin rather than race?^ Make sense to me
Traylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:10pm
I think we’ve been talking past each other and missing the point-who cares what box Latinos check off when they identify themselves on government forms? What matters to me is how they act, vote, treat other minorities, and what they may do with that newfound “whiteness”. Does that whiteness come with the same white privilege and dominance, or will they see it as merely a description? I think the latter is true. The number of new interracial marriages from Pew poll is only 275,000, of which 43% or 118,00 were Latino-White, and of all Latino new marriages 25% were interracial. So, about 75% married other Latinos. That means the vast majority of Latinos are going to continue to be brown and those that identify as white are going to continue to have black and brown relatives whom they love. Unlike Irish immigrants, they can’t simply learn to speak with a different accent in order to shed their “otherness”. Unlike past immigrants there’s really no need to.

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:26pm

I don't think we are assuming new found whiteness will come with the same privilege...at least not right now

I agree fair skinned and light eyes hispanics will have an easier time assimilating and therefore they may attempt to and succeed at using white privilege to their advantage

still not sure why it is thought they will suddenly band with other minorities

they have their own issues that are particular to their group

they will focus on those, just like every other group does
Traylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:47pm
"still not sure why it is thought they will suddenly band with other minorities" 

Because every bit of political and issue polling evidence says they already have. They're increasingly voting Democratic with 71% of their vote share going to President Obama in 2012. They're increasingly becoming more activist on issues of healthcare, income inequality, strengthening the social safety net, racial minority civil rights, police brutality, the drug war, voting rights, gun control, etc. These are issues on which we are aligned. They are apart of the Obama Coalition. It's not my opinion they will band with other minorities, it's a fact that they most definitely have politically. And politically is really all that matters. Yes, they have issues that may not be as big a deal to black folks and we have issues that may not necessarily be as significant to Latinos. But, even the modern civil rights movement has taken up immigration reform as a civil rights issue. There is definitely a belief within the activist community that all of our issues as minorities are common cause. 
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:55pm

well that's where we differ

I don't think voting the same ticket = solidarity

my co worker and I can both vote Dem and not be a united front

but I see you see it as a win if the bottom line for you is we both voted Dem

Edited by SamoneLenior - Apr 17 2014 at 2:21pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair