BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hidden racism in the workplace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

in my past experience, IT people can pretty much ask for what they want in salary. Especially if you're valued, and they don't want to lose you or your designs/code.

this is why i love IT. most of the time...the developers are making more than the managers anyways. I would never want to manage a team of ppl.

the guy in the OP should change jobs if he wants to make more money... i like to call it "self promotion"LOL
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:49pm

once again....I should have tried my hand at IT
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:52pm
is it too late? do you have an interest? aptitude?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 5:01pm

my only interest is the money and the work environment that comes with IT lol

I have never actually tried to program anything, so i don't even know if I would be good at it

and I don't know about too late, I mean my brother changed the industry he worked in his late 30s but I don't know if I have that in me
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

you have a hard time finding black mentors in DMV area?

mostly because I haven't happened across them

not because I have sought them out and found none

and thank you BB!

I think you should not be too focused on only having a black female mentor.  Might be missing out on opportunities
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 5:18pm

I have never actually tried to program anything, so i don't even know if I would be good at it

and I don't know about too late, I mean my brother changed the industry he worked in his late 30s but I don't know if I have that in me

i'm an IT project manager...i have absolutely no programming experience or background. If I remember you studied psychology right? ....if you understand ppl, then you'll have no problems. LOL
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 5:26pm
The director of our school said some racist shyt at our MTG recently and I wanted to quit on the spot. There is a lot of workplace racism within admin and how some of the POC kids are treated by teachers.

Some days it is so frustrating that I long for a 9-5 cubicle job where I do nothing but TPS reports or some shyt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I think you should not be too focused on only having a black female mentor.  Might be missing out on opportunities

possibly but the white people I currently work with are pretty clueless, minus say 2

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

i'm an IT project manager...i have absolutely no programming experience or background. If I remember you studied psychology right? ....if you understand ppl, then you'll have no problems. LOL

lol
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 6:45pm
Speaking of IT.....I need to find an internship.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 7:09pm
We really need a 'how to negotiate a salary/raise' thread. We ladies are notorious for not doing so. I have no clue how to do it myself and I need to know how in another year.Ouch

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

I think she's (OP's friend) very frustrated but it still stands.  She has to leave now, no question about it.  It is a fact that new employers value what others have passed up.  If I had a simple career track AND the pay I wanted at my first company I probably would have settled in and stayed.   Even when I reached the manager/director level my pay represented where I started, not where I was or what I had achieved.   Leaving gave me $20 thousand more per year.   And the next job another $20K.  That should happen as you progress in your current company but it doesn't.   This in-between phase is the only time you get to set your pay requirements for the exact same work!

Existing employers are rarely willing to raise an employees salary that much regardless of progressive promotion and longevity.   It speaks volumes to how undervalued long term employees can become.  A good rule of thumb is to change jobs at least every 5-10 years.  It sounds crazy but honestly you become less appreciated when you stay and it shouldn't be that way.  The days of retiring from the company you started with have been gone forever.  Our parents were able to do this and make it to the middle class.  Now you only get a pension if you're lucky enough to be in a sector that uses it to compete.  Nobody cares about employees that way anymore and its easier/better for them to suppress wages.   Sad environment.    If she sucks this up and stays she is basically going to see this repeated many times and if/when they do promote her the salary increase will be a joke.  Better to move on. 

I could have used less words here but the general idea is that once they demonstrate something less than appreciation and recognition to you go elsewhere. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic