BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Hidden racism in the workplace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I need a mentor

YES!

This should be someone who has influence within your industry, preferably in your organization, and will be willing to act as a link between key people whom you should know. They should also know your work and your character so that they can go to bat for you when you're looking for new projects, more responsibilities, or a different role.
Sponsored Links

zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:17pm
Beatrice, I think what she was trying to say is that even if she left, it's the same everywhere. I would say she's probably early 40s.

Simone is right. It's easier nowadays to see everyone's salary as it's graded. You get a rough idea if not precise. Gosh mix that with sexcism and it's utterly depressing.

But also, this is not a slight to my collg. Racism brings so much uncertainty because what if she didn't get it due to not her race but something else? That's the danger with racism. A situation is constantly muddled. You never can be sure...you have to work with feelings. I prefer logics and hard facts. It's a crazy guessing game although most often than not race does play a huge factor. But it's a guess game nonetheless.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

I totally agree!

However, just because you own the business doesn't mean that you won't encounter racism, hidden or otherwise. Clients, lead contracts, connections with valuable information, all people who are necessary to building a thriving business, can be racist. Not to deter anyone at all, but it's important that you manage expectations. Just as you shouldn't let potential racism deter you when you're working for a company, don't let it deter you when you're self-employed or a business owner.

add bankers to the list (for loans)
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:19pm
Sexism!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Beatrice, I think what she was trying to say is that even if she left, it's the same everywhere. I would say she's probably early 40s.

Simone is right. It's easier nowadays to see everyone's salary as it's graded. You get a rough idea if not precise. Gosh mix that with sexcism and it's utterly depressing.

But also, this is not a slight to my collg. Racism brings so much uncertainty because what if she didn't get it due to not her race but something else? That's the danger with racism. A situation is constantly muddled. You never can be sure...you have to work with feelings. I prefer logics and hard facts. It's a crazy guessing game although most often than not race does play a huge factor. But it's a guess game nonetheless.

Where else has she been? I totally get what she's saying and I understand the reason for feeling defeated, but has she been in other organizations/companies to gauge that? Another thing about racism is that it paralyzes people to stay in a miserable situation because they assume that it's the same everywhere. And worse, assume that there's nothing to be done so nothing changes.

I'm not necessarily saying this for her because I don't know anything about her. I'm speaking to what I have seen and what I have experienced. I know that the world is racist. But there are also ways to navigate and circumvent racism so that you get to where you want to be, and most of us either don't know what they are or don't use them.

Good luck to her.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

I totally agree!

However, just because you own the business doesn't mean that you won't encounter racism, hidden or otherwise. Clients, lead contracts, connections with valuable information, all people who are necessary to building a thriving business, can be racist. Not to deter anyone at all, but it's important that you manage expectations. Just as you shouldn't let potential racism deter you when you're working for a company, don't let it deter you when you're self-employed or a business owner.

add bankers to the list (for loans)

Mmmm-hmm.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:43pm
I think she's (OP's friend) very frustrated but it still stands.  She has to leave now, no question about it.  It is a fact that new employers value what others have passed up.  If I had a simple career track AND the pay I wanted at my first company I probably would have settled in and stayed.   Even when I reached the manager/director level my pay represented where I started, not where I was or what I had achieved.   Leaving gave me $20 thousand more per year.   And the next job another $20K.  That should happen as you progress in your current company but it doesn't.   This in-between phase is the only time you get to set your pay requirements for the exact same work!

Existing employers are rarely willing to raise an employees salary that much regardless of progressive promotion and longevity.   It speaks volumes to how undervalued long term employees can become.  A good rule of thumb is to change jobs at least every 5-10 years.  It sounds crazy but honestly you become less appreciated when you stay and it shouldn't be that way.  The days of retiring from the company you started with have been gone forever.  Our parents were able to do this and make it to the middle class.  Now you only get a pension if you're lucky enough to be in a sector that uses it to compete.  Nobody cares about employees that way anymore and its easier/better for them to suppress wages.   Sad environment.    If she sucks this up and stays she is basically going to see this repeated many times and if/when they do promote her the salary increase will be a joke.  Better to move on. 

I could have used less words here but the general idea is that once they demonstrate something less than appreciation and recognition to you go elsewhere. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Racism brings so much uncertainty because what if she didn't get it due to not her race but something else? That's the danger with racism. A situation is constantly muddled. You never can be sure...you have to work with feelings. I prefer logics and hard facts. It's a crazy guessing game although most often than not race does play a huge factor. But it's a guess game nonetheless.

I didn't want to say this but its true.  It is very hard to gauge.  If she is an exceptional employee, has the time in and has some leadership ability it should be a no brainer that its racism.    I have literally heard yt ppl who clearly did NOT deserve to have any job much less get promoted complain about favoritism and and being "passed over" for promotions.  Its difficult to say w/o all the facts. 
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 6:44pm
my DH has always told me the best time to negotiate salary is when you get there.
He is crazy w/that lol
He has changed jobs 3 times in 6 years I think. It's worked out.

our 1L writing project was about racism in the legal field
these court cases will have u like Ouch
all in your feelings

Edited by EPITOME - Mar 06 2014 at 6:47pm
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 1:58pm
you have a hard time finding black mentors in DMV area?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic