Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Henry Louis Gates New Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

I cried at the Obama part... like it was yesterday

dang!me too. I felt  silly . Colin Powell's tears got me tho.
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:16pm
I teared up too.
*group hug*
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:16pm
Yeah I think it was Colin who got me too
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I teared up too.
*group hug*

Hug
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I teared up too.
*group hug*

I missed everything because of Thanksgiving shopping.  I'll catch up later but damn Sang.  I didn't even know you were the emotional type and sh*t.  If you cried I'm about to go get a box of tissues before pressing playLOL
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2013 at 9:47pm
I wanted to know if they used Jimmy cliff's song as the intro or outtro for each episode? I guess it was just for the final episode. Love that song listen to it each time this thread is bumped.

But can smaddy please pretty please take the full episodes from the PBS website and make them available for those of us living outside the USA.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 9:47am
After watching,  what I felt was anger and disgust.   They will never let us have nice things but things have certainly changed.

I loved this series so much.  The only episode I would have wanted done differently is this last one.  I know that Gates was trying to discuss the impact of the Prison Industrial Complex but I wish he has actually spent time showing the progression of it, the current state and the dollars associated with re-enslaving black men.    That guy in the wheelchair was a great success story but he represents about .00001% of people suffering in this New Jim Crow era.  I wanted to see some graphics and statistics to drive the point home.   Discussion about the Black women, children and the fathers and would be husbands that are forever removed from the black community because of it.   How America's economy continues to use black bodies to prop up revenue streams in areas where they would otherwise die.   

And then Sean, Oscar and Trayvon are merely the tip of the iceberg and I wanted that to be said!  I think he was trying to end on a positive note though.  The whole thing was well done overall. 

I'm glad we watched togetherHeartHug

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Nov 27 2013 at 9:48am
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 8:08pm
I got the chills but I didnt cry.  Im at Obama's election.  When did yall cry?
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 8:27pm
Watched most of it except the one up to the 1960s. It made me so angry and so depressed to think that there are a lot of black people who know nothing of what they rose up from and don't care. I feel like mailing the series to kanye west and other people who have forgotten who they are.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

I got the chills but I didnt cry.  Im at Obama's election.  When did yall cry?

Colin Powell. Cry
I think it was a culmination of the series though but Colin tearing up made me tear up. He has always reminded me of my dad too.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
  Share Topic