Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Henry Louis Gates New Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 20>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 8:15am
I can't wait to see how he does the Jim Crow era.  I am completely convinced that it was even more damaging than the whole of slavery.  

Here is the episode (Diane you can't get to the PBS site?)

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365111350/
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:13am
Tonight's episode is going to be soooo good.   I'm a huge fan of the Jim Crow Museum site he's going to discuss.

Episode Four: Making a Way Out of No Way (1897 – 1940)
Tuesday, November 12, 8-9 p.m.

Making a Way Out of No Way portrays the Jim Crow era, when African Americans struggled to build their own worlds within the harsh, narrow confines of segregation. At the turn of the 20th century, a steady stream of African Americans left the South, fleeing the threat of racial violence, and searching for better opportunities in the North and the West. Leaders like Ida B. Wells, W.E.B. Du Bois, Booker T. Washington and Marcus Garvey organized, offering vastly different strategies to further black empowerment and equality. Yet successful black institutions and individuals were always at risk. At the same time, the ascendance of black arts and culture showed that a community with a strong identity and sense of pride was taking hold in spite of Jim Crow. “The Harlem Renaissance” would not only redefine how America saw African Americans, but how African Americans saw themselves.

Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:22am
KFoxx... I told my mom about this series and she tvod it. Well she finally got around to watching the first three episodes on Saturday. Then on Sunday she came over and was pissed off, I mean thouroughly pissed. We talked about the series on the way to lunch and it was like a black power meeting in the car.

My kids were in the back seat like..Stern Smile.. wtf is going on with my nana and mom, we was going in on "yt people" then we had to remember children was in the car..
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:33am
Mama was heated!LOL

I'm really excited about tonights episode.  I've been saying this for a while but I'm going to repeat it, we could have survived slavery and come out equal but we are currently living under the direct results of Jim Crow.    The overall representation of blacks is shaped by the stereotyping.  It was extremely effective.    The museum even has current examples of how its still used:

Michele Obama as Sapphire

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/sapphire/

New Yorker

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:12pm

my parents have been talking about ain't sh*t white folk since I was a baby lol

I don't know if my husband will want us to do that since he didn't grow up like that
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 5:24pm
^ You mean talking about them in front of the kids?  My son is so sweet he always tries to explain their behavior rationally.   He thinks they were just confused.
OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OoDles O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 5:29pm
yeah. I'm looking forward to tonights episode as well.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 5:38pm
I'll be tuning in. Although I'm not really expecting to learn anything new at this point (hopefully I'm wrong). The first episode was unchartered territory for a lot of people but everything else has been well documented. I'm more interested in how he's going to present it. He has a knack for making history so accessible.
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:13pm
here
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:17pm
we were just having this convo few weeks ago
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 20>