Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Henry Louis Gates New Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 10:39pm
I'm 40 mins into the docu and so far it's excellent. Beautiful even.

I learned 2 things that I didn't know before which is more than I usually learn from these type of documentaries

Sponsored Links

Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 10:49pm
Watching
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 10:56pm
I'm so impressed with all the artistic and digital presentation for this whole series...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/on-african-american-migrations/
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 1:03am
I watched some of this tonight and it was VERY good. I am very impressed with the quality of the research as well as the way its communicated visually and aurally. I really hope this becomes a standard in high school education. The few raggedy VHS we watched in high school did a TERRIBLE job of explaining the history of African Americans and their contributions to American culture. Luckily I was a part of a community based program that taught black history to young people.

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 8:18am
Excellent as always.   I learned a few things as well Avi.  This is what I love about his documentaries.   So far he has been the most thorough in telling the stories.

That African slave trade was very depressing to hear in such detail.   It made me think of our we are so divided today and also how much a part of the world's history and rises to power involved slavery.  Of course America was the first nation to make slavery = skin color.  Of course.

Take aways:

- The "social media" hotline that instilled the success of the Haitian revolution and made the slaves always hopeful of freedom.

- The FACT that we built this country.  Period.  Put that sh*t in the history books already!!!

- The experience of women in this genocideCry

- The Indians and "run and tell that!"LOL

- The food!  We added the soul, duh!

- The first generation of slaves was basically the failed warriors of African wars between Kingdoms and their families.   Beautiful that even after crossing the ocean they fought to their last breath for freedomCry

- The babies!   Imagine what "Priscilla" went through and how her family endured.  10yrs old and alone not knowing what happened to your family but realizing that you and the other children are in the hands of these "others" and you have to survive in it.

I don't know how he does it but he tells these stories like nothing we've seen before and I am thankful for the honest history.  I can't wait to buy this and share it with my childrenClap

Next Tuesday is "The Age of Slavery (1800-1860)"  This was the period I was able to trace my own family to.   My mother's great grandfather was born into slavery in this era.   

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 8:25am
Fort Mose Site
Florida

Aerial view of Fort Mose Site

Aerial view of Fort Mose Site
Courtesy of Florida Division of Recreation and Parks

Competition between Spain and Britain made Florida a haven for colonial South Carolina’s fugitive slaves in the 18th century. To destabilize British colonization in the north, Spain encouraged British slaves to escape to Florida, where they could convert to Catholicism and become Spanish citizens. In the 1730s, a black Spanish community formed in St. Augustine, the capital of Spanish Florida, and founded a town called Fort Mose. In the 18th century, two Fort Mose sites existed, one that the Spanish occupied between 1737 and 1740, and another occupied between 1752 and 1763. Fort Mose is the only known free black town in the present-day southern United States that a European colonial government sponsored. The Fort Mose Site, today a National Historic Landmark, is the location of the second Fort Mose.

Slavery in Spain predated its colonization of the Americas. Spain established its slave laws in the 13th century. Catholic doctrine, Roman law, and Spanish policy influenced these laws. According to Spanish law, slavery was not a natural state for any race. It was a product of war by which the victors enslaved rather than killed their enemy. Slavery existed in Spain, but slaves had legal rights within the Spanish slave system, including the right to own property, sue in courts, keep their families together, and purchase their freedom. Black African slaves arrived in the Spanish colonies in the early 16th century, where they replaced the forced labor of the indigenous population. Enslaved Africans first set foot in St. Augustine at its founding in 1565 as members of Pedro Menéndez de Avilés’s colonizing expedition. Despite slave rebellions in the Spanish American colonies, by the 18th century, Spanish Florida had a growing population of both free and enslaved black colonists.

Spain’s flexible attitude toward slaves and black freedmen encouraged British slaves in South Carolina to escape to Florida. In 1693, King Charles II of Spain ordered his Florida colonists to give runaway slaves from British colonies freedom and protection if they converted to Catholicism and agreed to serve Spain. The fugitive slaves from South Carolina who made it to Spanish Florida could expect to gain more control over their own lives, even as Spanish slaves. Between the late 17th and the mid-18th centuries, an unknown number of slaves from South Carolina successfully escaped to Florida. Spanish records note at least six separate groups of slaves who escaped from South Carolina to St. Augustine between 1688 and 1725. This policy of refuge encouraged fugitive slaves to flee to Spanish Florida with the hope of a better life if they made it to a Spanish outpost, and it gave the Spanish a weapon to use against the British. Spain’s policy toward runaways took laborers from the British colony and boosted its own colonial population to oppose the British.

From this boardwalk, visitors can look across the marshy landscape where the ruins of Fort Mose Site lay.

From this boardwalk, visitors can look across the marshy landscape where the ruins of Fort Mose Site lay.
Courtesy of Ebyabe on Wikimedia Commons

In 1726, Florida governor Antonio de Benavides created a black slave militia to help the white Spanish regiments defend St. Augustine from British attacks. He appointed Francisco Menéndez to lead the militia. Captain Menéndez was a black slave and a veteran of the Yamasee War of 1715. He escaped to St. Augustine from South Carolina with nine other slaves in 1724. Despite Spain’s promise of freedom, Governor Benavides ignored the broad view of King Charles II’s 1693 order to free fugitive slaves. He believed it only applied to slaves who arrived in Florida during wartime. Benavides, perhaps afraid of British retribution, sold several runaway slaves in 1729 to reimburse their British owners and did not free the militiamen, including Menéndez, despite their loyalty. In 1733, the government in Spain outlawed the sale of runaway slaves to private citizens and offered the soldiers freedom after four additional years of service. Menéndez and several others petitioned the government for freedom that year and in 1737 they received unconditional freedom from the new Florida governor, Manuel de Montiano.

After Montiano granted freedom to Menéndez, he established the village of Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mosé for black citizens of St. Augustine. The appellation “Gracia Real” indicated that the king established the town. Saint Teresa de Avilés was the town’s patron saint, and Mose was the name of the site prior to settlement. Fort Mose was its unofficial name. There were nearly 40 free men and women at Fort Mose, including Menéndez and his wife María, who pledged to serve Spain and convert to Catholicism. According to British accounts, the first fort built was of stone and the community lived in dwellings outside of it. Although a white Catholic priest and a white Spanish officer were at the village, the governor considered Menéndez the head of the Fort Mose community and respected his military leadership.

The Spanish government emphasized its religious and humanitarian reasons for founding Fort Mose, but the village was also strategically placed to defend St. Augustine against British attacks. In 1739, African slaves in South Carolina killed over 20 British colonists and then tried but failed to escape to St. Augustine in a revolt called the Stono Rebellion. After the rebellion, an international war in Europe intensified competition between the colonies and their uneasy peace broke down.

In 1740, colonial governor James Oglethorpe of Georgia invaded Florida and burned Spanish outposts along the St. Johns River, as he led his force of British colonists and American Indian allies south to St. Augustine. They attacked the Florida capital and quickly captured Fort Mose. Because they lacked the fortifications to hold off Oglethorpe’s army, the Fort Mose community evacuated the town before the British arrived and escaped to St. Augustine. Soon afterward, the Fort Mose militia returned to take back their village from the British and won a conflict called the Battle of Bloody Mose. Beaten and unable to take the city, Oglethorpe retreated. The governor praised the bravery of Menéndez and his militia in a report of the battle to the king. After Oglethorpe’s attack, the Spanish abandoned the first Fort Mose and the black community returned to St. Augustine, where they integrated into mainstream Spanish colonial life.

Reenactors at Fort Mose Site State Historic Park portray black regimentals in the Battle of Bloody Mose.

Reenactors at Fort Mose Site State Historic Park portray black regimentals in the Battle of Bloody Mose.
Courtesy of the Fort Mose Historical Society

Despite their successes in the capital, in 1752 Governor Fulgencio García de Solís ordered the black St. Augustine citizens to rebuild Fort Mose at a new site north of the city. The second Fort Mose, which Captain Menéndez again led, lasted until Spain gave Florida to Britain in 1763. In 1759, 67 people lived at Fort Mose. Most households were married couples and children. After the North American Seven Years War, known by the British as the French and Indian War, Spain abandoned Florida. The Spanish, including the Fort Mose community, left the continent and resettled in Matanzas, Cuba, on the Spanish frontier. Although the Spanish government outfitted them and gave them land, the Fort Mose refuges found life in Matanzas was rough. Refugees, including Francisco Menéndez, eventually moved to Havana, Cuba. The black Spanish community never returned to Fort Mose, but there is evidence of Spanish activity at Fort Mose after the American Revolution when Spain resettled Florida.

Beginning in the 1970s, ongoing archeological excavations at the site of the second Fort Mose uncovered a moat, log stockade, and earthwork fort walls. Evidence within the earthwork walls dates structures back to the first Spanish occupation. In 1759, according to a Spanish census, Fort Mose had 22 dwellings. Archeologists believe they were located in and around the main fort. The second Fort Mose also had a large wooden parish church with a thatched roof. At the site, archeologists discovered beads, nails, glass, buttons, American Indian ceramics, Mexican majolica, English wares, and food remains. During the Spanish colonial period, the Fort Mose site was dry farmland. It evolved into a marsh during the late 19th century. The site today is Florida’s Fort Mose Historic State Park, where reenactors and rangers interpret the lives of Spanish Florida’s freed men and women. The visitor center provides information about the history of the site and its museum exhibit highlights artifacts from the Spanish colonial period. Beyond the museum, visitors can walk across a wooden boardwalk that extends from the public parking lot into the open marshland to see the site of the second Fort Mose.

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Oct 23 2013 at 11:30am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 12:49pm
Girl Yes! I laughed b/c Africans had that "social media" on lock from the get-go LOL

I LOVE the fact that they emphasize how much WE built this country
And that food part.... Lawd, I love that food historian. This episode gave me EVERYTHANG and more

And thanks to the Indians and the newly arrived Africans, we always knew what was going down

I can't wait for epi #2 Thumbs Up

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Excellent as always.   I learned a few things as well Avi.  This is what I love about his documentaries.   So far he has been the most thorough in telling the stories.

That African slave trade was very depressing to hear in such detail.   It made me think of our we are so divided today and also how much a part of the world's history and rises to power involved slavery.  Of course America was the first nation to make slavery = skin color.  Of course.

Take aways:

- The "social media" hotline that instilled the success of the Haitian revolution and made the slaves always hopeful of freedom.

- The FACT that we built this country.  Period.  Put that sh*t in the history books already!!!

- The experience of women in this genocideCry

- The Indians and "run and tell that!"LOL

- The food!  We added the soul, duh!

- The first generation of slaves was basically the failed warriors of African wars between Kingdoms and their families.   Beautiful that even after crossing the ocean they fought to their last breath for freedomCry

- The babies!   Imagine what "Priscilla" went through and how her family endured.  10yrs old and alone not knowing what happened to your family but realizing that you and the other children are in the hands of these "others" and you have to survive in it.

I don't know how he does it but he tells these stories like nothing we've seen before and I am thankful for the honest history.  I can't wait to buy this and share it with my childrenClap

Next Tuesday is "The Age of Slavery (1800-1860)"  This was the period I was able to trace my own family to.   My mother's great grandfather was born into slavery in this era.   

Edited by Alias_Avi - Oct 23 2013 at 12:49pm
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 12:57pm
I only caught the last twenty minutes about to grab something to eat and watch the full episode..

I watched the last 20 minutes with my oldest son and he has so many questions , So I am definitely buying the dvd set
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 1:31pm
Rumy you are the best!!!!  My older son was so pissed he forgot to watch it.  I just sent him the link.  Thank you!!!

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365103337/
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 1:39pm

my husband and I will buy the dvd set too

we plan on watching this (and other documentaries) with our children one day
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists