Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Henry Louis Gates New Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henry Louis Gates New Series
    Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 8:25am
begins tonight with the first Chapter:  The Black Atlantic (1500s-1800s).   I think its very fortunate  that Dr. Gates created a teaching companion book with this series.  I hope school teachers all over America pick this up and get rid of the historical nonsense they have been asked to teach for years.   It will include 6hrs of DVDsClap

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry Louis Gates Jr. debuts his new documentary for PBS, 'The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross'

The noted scholar and author says the six-part series covers 'the full complexity of the black experience,' looking beyond slavery and into the lives and contributions of free blacks

By David Hinckley / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Writer and scholar Henry Louis Gates is behind the PBS show “The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross.”

Writer and scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. is behind the PBS show “The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross.”

BLACK HISTORY documentaries and dramatizations surface regularly on television, but scholar and author Henry Louis Gates Jr. says his new one for PBS takes a different tack.

“The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross” premieres Tuesday at 8 p.m. and runs for six weeks. It’s set up chronologically, with each hour focusing on a defined era.

Tuesday’s opener, titled “The Black Atlantic,” covers 1500 to 1800. The final episode, covering 1968 to the present, is titled, with just a splash of irony, “A More Perfect Union.”

What sets “Many Rivers” apart, says Gates, is that it covers “the full complexity of the black experience. This isn’t just about slavery. It’s also about the lives and contributions of free blacks.

“African Americans have always been two peoples with two stories — one slave, one free. I found it startling, as we’ve put this series together, how little most people know about that other story.”

The first episode, Gates notes, also expands the story of slavery and free blacks outside the borders of what would become the U.S.A.

The overwhelming majority of African slaves, millions in all, were sent elsewhere in the “New World.” At the same time, one of the most successful Spanish “conquistadors” was a black man, African-born Juan Garrido.

“If you want to understand the full scope of the black experience, you have to know stories like this,” says Gates, and “Many Rivers” follows that principle, telling its larger stories through individual biographical narratives.

Norman Rockwell depicted the history-changing walk by the 6-year old Ruby Bridges in his iconic painting entitled “The Problem We All Live With.

Norman Rockwell depicted the history-changing walk by the 6-year old Ruby Bridges in his iconic painting entitled “The Problem We All Live With." It appears inthe PBS show “The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross.”

It follows teenagers and preteenagers from their enslavement to the often unexpected destiny of their own lives and those of their descendants.

This part of “Many Rivers” dovetails neatly with another of Gates’ projects: his PBS genealogy series that tracks the ancestry of blacks and whites with surprising results.

For the black experience specifically, Gates says one dirty little secret is crucial.

“Not one person in any of our genetic tests has ever been 100% African American,” he says. “No matter how dark their complexion, there’s always some white blood.

“That collective and public information is part of the story we’re telling.”

“Many Rivers” does have at least one thing in common with every other black history documentary, Gates allows.

“We don’t have time to tell as much of the story as we’d like to,” he says. “We’re covering 500 years in six hours and there’s always so much you have to leave out.”

But this is the digital age, so the “Many Rivers” project can include additional material on its website, which is also interactive for viewers to add their own stories.

There will also be educational DVDs and a companion book of the same title, written by Gates and Donald Yacavone.

Sponsored Links

HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 8:29am
African Americans have always been two peoples with two stories — one slave, one free. I found it startling, as we’ve put this series together, how little most people know about that other story.”

Love this and it still applies
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:18am
Gates' documentaries are always on point.  I will be sure to order this series once it goes on sale (need to check PBS site to see if its there yet).  Marking Tues as GATES nite on the calender.  Thanks for posting!

Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:19am
I five starred your thread, lol
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:21am
thanks tbaby.  I'm so excited.  I'm def going to order this and view it with my 9yr old.  
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:28am
Damn IT! I was hoping it was Black in the English Speaking Caribbean.CryCryCryCry Still excited and will watch. When it premieres can someone post the videos here, I can't access episodes from PBS website (I'm outside the US)

Loved Black in Latin America and the discussions on BHMHeart

Confession: Up until last year I thought he died, I swore up and down that i read at the end of the Black in L.Amer. episodes that they were dedicated to him. *hangs head in shame*

ETA I think it took a few days or weeks to go up on the website, darn. I wonder if I have PBS at home? Y'all just give a running commentary like you do for those awards shows and I'll be gravy.

Edited by Diane (35) - Oct 22 2013 at 9:33am
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:40am
Diane that Black in Latin America series was excellent!  I expect this will be just as good.   I'll "blog" it if I'm online but also once its aired they usually have the episodes on the PBS website and the Black in LA series was also on Netflix and YouTube eventually.  
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 11:38am
I was gonna make this thread 2 days ago

They had an onlinen live social preview but I missed it Ouch

But I can't wait to see this even though HLG is a coon and often does his documentaries from a coon perspective
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 11:52am
Ermmman this better not be another excuse for him to mention that he's more white than black cuz i swear im starting to believe everything he does is just an excuse to drop that one tidbit. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 12:47pm
Yeah tatee its like finding out some new information and getting overly excited over it when you should be like WTF?  Where are my African family trees? Ouch   For me I just like the part where it shines a light on the raping ass rapist forefathers on this country.   He needs to be excited about doing THAT!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>