Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

HELP!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 9 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!!!
    Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 9:41am
Well I'm trying to figure out my major in college. I enjoy reading a lot and I'm mostly interested in social work, sociology, and law but, I'm scared I won't find a job with sociology degree. Should I pick another major???
Sponsored Links

Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 9:46am
Pick what you love to do--and if its sociology then be aware that you will have to dig deeper in getting a good job.  From what I understand you really have to have a MS in social work any way to get a decent job in that field.  Are you factoring in grad school in your decisions?

Don't strictly base your major on what's going to get you a job because you will be sorely disappointed in working in a field you really aren't truly very interested in to begin with.

eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 9:48am
well, you could be undeclared and start exploring your options from there. Did you speak with your HS counselor about your interests? Maybe they can give you some helpful advice? Speak with a few sociology teachers in your school if you have them, they should be able to give some helpful advice about the field/job outlook.
Your first 2 years will be filled with gen ed classes so u dont really have to worry too much about falling behind.
Good luck!
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 9:50am
Omg thank you Tbaby for responding and yes I wanna get my masters and everything!!! but, I don't wanna be broke!!! I do think it's my passion
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 9:51am
If you are really worried then do a double degree
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 10:15am
There are ways to make a sociology degree lucrative. Your best bet is to do a double major with math (stats) or a hard science.

Either way, start at the end (your future) and work back to the present. Find people who have the jobs you want and interview them. Find professors on campus who are doing research that is interesting to you and interview them. Really try to find out what it might look like to be a sociologist (or whatever you choose). Get involved in the community.

Try to make an informed decision, not just one based on what you think you like learning about.
Marmonette View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Marmonette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:13am
I am a social work major and I plan on getting my masters in social work as well.

From what I have been told, there will always be jobs in social services, as long as people need help. At least, thats what my teachers tell me...

I don't know if the school you plan on going to has a social work program, but if they do, they will have praticum classes. Praticum classes allow you to network and get a feel for what you will be doing later in life.

Keep in mind that you can double major, switch you major or go on to do something that complements your major in grad school. Nothing is set it stone. When you start taking your pre-major classes and find out that it isnt for you, there is no harm in switching you major your first year.

Also, go to the college advisors. They will be more than happy to help you through your decision. An even better option is to talk to some of the teachers that are in the majors you want to pursue. Not only do you get to meet them and have them remember you, but they tend to explain the major more in depth.

Good luck  girl!

Edited by Marmonette - Jan 23 2013 at 11:19am
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Marmonette Marmonette wrote:

I am a social work major and I plan on getting my masters in social work as well.

From what I have been told, there will always be jobs in social services, as long as people need help. At least, thats what my teachers tell me...

I don't know if the school you plan on going to has a social work program, but if they do, they will have praticum classes. Praticum classes allow you to network and get a feel for what you will be doing later in life.

Keep in mind that you can double major, switch you major or go on to do something that complements your major in grad school. Nothing is set it stone. When you start taking your pre-major classes and find out that it isnt for you, there is no harm in switching you major your first year.

Also, go to the college advisors. They will be more than happy to help you through your decision. An even better option is to talk to some of the teachers that are in the majors you want to pursue. Not only do you get to meet them and have them remember you, but they tend to explain the major more in depth.

Good luck  girl!

Thank you!!!! how do you like being a social worker??? I have heard so many different things
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:26am
The only science I like is biology and enviromental sciences so I think I rather go with business.
Afrocentchic View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afrocentchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:36am

Hey sis, you can also utlize sites such as BLS.gov and http://www.onetonline.org/ to do more research about social worker  skillsets as well as how much they make per state etc.

I'm not sure how far you have gotten in looking into colleges in general, but please make sure they are regionally accredited. Inquire about the entire cost of attendence. Some admissions councelors may just offer you the cost per credit.

If you feel pressured at any point to complete any kind of paper work be it an application to attend or to complete the FAFSA etc. end the conversation and take some time to think about it.

If the school you are interested in has a website that only allows you to see some information about the school, but not all (ex: Various bullet points with facts, then a prompt to fill out some sort survey for a call back from an admissions person, keep looking. There may be a more informative version of the site out there.

Also, google the school in general, find out if you can who owns it and if they have had any issues (legal, lawsuits, goverment intervention, etc.)

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic