Perfect Hair Collection

Help with your career search...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
PurplePumps View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with your career search...
    Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 7:49pm
Hey ladies!

I was reading through the "No job" thread and I wanted to share with you all something I learned a few days ago.  I was gonna post it in that thread but since it's 20 pages already I figured it would be better to just  start a new thread.

A little about my background: I graduated from college in 2010 with a degree in Psychology and currently I'm pursuing a job in my field.

I went to career services at my alma matter (which is a good idea if you ladies haven't already done that!), and the advisor told me that WE CAN NO LONGER HAVE GENERAL RESUMES when applying to jobs online.  Meaning, having one resume that you send to every company is NOT going to land you a job.

Why?

She told me that usually what happens when you apply for a job online and submit your resume is that your resume gets sent to a large database.  Nowadays, companies are spending thousands of dollars for resume-scanning software due to the high amounts of applicants searching for jobs in this economy.  

Basically what this scanning software does is compare your resume to the job description in the online job post and determines how much of your resume matches the job description.  If there's not much of a match, your resume gets tossed out and you never get a call from the company.  If there's a good amount of matching, then your resume gets sent off to an actual human being for review.

She let me know that now because of this new software that a lot of these companies have, if I'm wanting to have someone from the company call me back, I basically have to have a DIFFERENT resume for each job I apply for.  She told me that I need to take whatever they have listed as the job requirements and SAY THAT somewhere on my resume.  

In essence, you don't have to do your -entire- resume over each time, but for instance, my resume has a "summary of qualifications" section at the very beginning that just kinda gives a general overview of my skills.  I change that EVERY TIME I submit a resume now, making sure that what's listed there is exactly what's listed in the job description (changing it around a little, of course, so that it doesn't look like you copy/pasted the job description).

Because of that, I've been getting A LOT more calls for interviews, follow-ups, what have you.  The first day I applied what she said, I got 3 interview offers, whereas before I'd been waiting and waiting and waiting, just to have a generated email sent to me a month later that said "at this time, we will not be furthering the interview process..."  She advised me that doing your resume this way cuts down on the amount of time that it takes for someone to call you.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that tidbit, sorry it's so long, but I know a lot of us are posting our resumes everywhere and just twiddling our thumbs waiting for a call that's not gonna come.  Let's go out there and get these jobs ladies.  These are things they don't want you to know, but knowledge is power.  I hope this helps someone!
Sponsored Links

brittsbee View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brittsbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 7:57pm
When submitting resumes online you must include keywords and phrases that are used in the job description.

I learned this in my business communication course.  If you don't the scanning software will toss your resume out....and there goes the job you wanted!

hope this helps!
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by brittsbee brittsbee wrote:

When submitting resumes online you must include keywords and phrases that are used in the job description.

I learned this in my business communication course.  If you don't the scanning software will toss your resume out....and there goes the job you wanted!

hope this helps!

Thanks... Ermm

Edited by PurplePumps - Jun 03 2011 at 10:53pm
Tee_Gee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee_Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 8:53pm
Thanks for the tip! 
soarlikecruz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soarlikecruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 9:14pm
That's some good information, thanks so much for sharing with everyone! I know it's gonna help some people, I never would have thought that system existed
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 10:21pm
Yeah at first it was overwhelming cuz I'm like, I gotta redo my whole resume?!  But it's worth it
Nelliglam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelliglam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2011 at 3:05am
Thanks for the tip, I recently graduated and am having to start the daunting task of 'job hunting.'
Mzcnic87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mzcnic87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2011 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by PurplePumps PurplePumps wrote:

Originally posted by brittsbee brittsbee wrote:

hope this helps!

Thanks... Ermm

Yes, I do this with my cover letters too!
Chey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 11:50pm
I learned this from an HR person who hired me..
I also learned this from applying to a banking job.. i sent in the same resume over and over.. no response..
One day i was like ... let me switch it up... the next two days i got a call.
And now i have the job :D
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 2:36pm
Another website to try looking for a job:
http://www.brazencareerist.com/

A networking/job search site.  Not sure if it is career/industry specific.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic