Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedHelp With Moisture Retention!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
sanja View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help With Moisture Retention!
    Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 12:51pm

i've been dealing with this issue for ages now.  my hair does NOT hold moisture at all.  the only time it feels soft is when it is damp.  DC'ing does absolutely nothing, but maybe i need to do it more often?  my hair is very coarse, too.  please help! 

btw, please only recommend cheap productsLOL i'm running short on cash.

Sponsored Links

Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:15pm
What products are you using? What's your hair type and what, if any, chemical processes are you doing to it? You might need to clarify your hair because and if after that you DC and do an ACV rinse to lock in the moisture. More seasoned members can chime in to help.
MizzBrit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:22pm
what do you DC with..what products do you use?
JaneLane View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:22pm

What's your regimen?

Clarifying sounds like a win. You may have some porosity issues. Have you done a strand test?
sanja View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:24pm
i just clarified it.  then i DC'd with one of those ORS packs.  i will read up on the ACV rinses.
the only products i use consistently are nexxus, suave, and baking soda (every two weeks).  sometimes i use CON poo and a few other conditioners.  i've tried different things but nothing works.
i am 4a/3c and currently transitioning so no chemicals.

@Meow, what's the strand test?

thanks for helping, ladies.

Edited by sanja - Jul 05 2009 at 1:25pm
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:49pm
Moisture needs something to cling to, which is protein.  If you are using baking soda to clarify your hair.  Sometimes, that will not get it due to possibly having too much build up on the hair.  CON Shampoo is a good product, but it provides a lot of build up on hair.  Please, use a clarifying shampoo, VO5 has a Kiwi & Lime Squeeze Clarifying shampoo it is about $1.00.  Suave, reformulated their clarifying shampoo with better ingredients, that is okay to try.  Then, do a protein treatment, follow up with a moisturizing treatment.  That should get your hair back on track. 

Nichole23 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:53pm
Sanja ..

Porosity refers to your hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture. Hair can have a low level of porosity, a normal balance or be highly porous.

Highly porus hair has difficulty absorbing moisture. It tends to absorb chemicals and heat faster than normal and is more suceptable to breakage.   Highly porous hair also quickly loses moisture.  The reason is because the cuticle is open and stressed.

Here's an action plan for you:

1) Protein is necessary to fill the holes in porous hair.  This is often the forgot step. 

2) Porosity Correcting, by means of leveling the ph of your hair.  You can start with Porosity Control Conditioner or an ACV rinse.

sanja View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 4:48pm

Claudie, yes i hate CON because of the build-up it leaves... i should clarify that i rarely use it - maybe four times over the last 3 months. 

i've done protein treatments in the past and don't remember them doing anything.

thank you all for your suggestions!!

i think i may need to learn the difference between 'coarse' and 'low porosity.'  i also wonder if me neglecting my hair (not dc'ing or moisturizing regularly) is causing my probs w/dryness.
stayinblown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 7:59pm
are u relax or natural????  cus i find with my hair it used to be dry until i started co washing and finding my hair's protein and moist needs ,  i'm strecthing,  10 wks post going 4 16,  but i started to i apply hollywood olive oil creame no petro/mineral oil on my NG and scalp aslo contains no protein , cus natural hair thrives off moisture,   then the carrot creame the one with protein i apply it to only to mostly my ends because their chemically have been treated relax and color  ,   i do a lighter moist in the morn and seal , so thats moist twice a day is that Ok????

as a result its nice and soft now i cant wait to see more results from moist and sealing with something thats works , but in the morn i use a dime size or a lil more of carols daughter hair milk all over and back in my bun and im fallin in love wit my hair,  the only thing i don't like is clafying shampoo its very drying but i guess we need from time to time , i 'll be using it every other month cus i dont use any cons

Edited by stayinblown - Jul 05 2009 at 8:07pm
GoodKarma4me View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 11:16pm
my hair was dry as hell today no idea why since I had jus moisturized last night. Anyways so I pre-poo'd with some baby banana food, honey and olive oil. then i washed my hair with dr bronners mild castille soap mixed with distilled water, aloe vera juice, and avocado oil. Followed by my ORS replinishing pak mixed with coconut oil and peppermint EO. Anyways long story short my hair is sooo soft now.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic