Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Help! Thin, fine, lifeless, breaking hair

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
smoothebony80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothebony80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Thin, fine, lifeless, breaking hair
    Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 11:02am
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me figure out what to do with this hair on my head or can relate. My hair is very, very thin and really fine. It used to grow long very quickly but it was so thin that I would just have to cut it to shoulder length. I started wearing weaves several years ago which better suit my face because I have chubby cheeks so I need something with volume to balance it out. 

I just can't get my hair to grow and thicken out. I lost my edges due to improper weave installation and then I was trying all these remedies to make them grow back - including groganics, castor oil, peppermint oil, every product in the bss that promises to grow back edges...nothing worked and actually made the problem worse because it would cause the hair to get hard and kinky and then snap off. I realized that it was the wrapping that was breaking off the edges so I stopped wrapping and started just making a part in the leave out and using a silk scarf to tie the leave out down at night. The edges grew back when I stopped using ANY product on it, just a little bit of coconut oil.

Here are my issues/questions
-My hair is adverse to every product that other people's hair seems to love - protein conditioner, castor oil, etc. all make my hair fragile and BREAK. Any recommendations for products? I think I need a good moisturizer
-I was using a textlax - just for me texure softener which I think contributed to the dryness and breaking. Anyone experienced this? I switched back to mild relaxer which seems to be much better for my hair. I think the texlax was terrible for my hair
 -I moisturize the leave out regularly it is still always breaking. Any tips for keeping the leave out healthy? Baring in mind my hair's sensitivity to most protein treatments
-I would love to have a style that allows the luxury of flowing hair like a weave but doesn't damage my hair - I don't like closures. I think u-part wigs may be the answer to my prayers. Any feedback on those?
-I would also consider a braided style, I do like micros but with my weak edges I don't think I can take the risk. I have a corporate job so I need an elegant, long lasting braided style that is protective...any recommendations? Goddess braids maybe?

Thanks...any tips for this hair appreciated!

Sponsored Links

krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 2:51pm
Smootheboney I can relate.  I have very thin hair, so baby fine in fact that I remember my mother buying products specifically for fine hair as a child.  When I wear it straight, the ponytail just slides right off because it's so thin.  But despite this, I've been able to grow my hair long to BSL, APL, wear it short, curly, straight, relaxed and natural and enjoy it all along the way.

Here are my suggestions for you.

#1 treat your hair as though you know it's fine and delicate every day.  Don't use hard brushes on your edges because you KNOW they're naturally thin. Putting stress on them is only going to make it worse. 

Don't use products that are too thick and too heavy. When you have fine, thin hair, putting a too-heavy product on it is just as bad as being heavy-handed.  Castor oil was too heavy for my hair.  And I can relate--it did make my hair break as well.  Try jojoba for your edges.

#2 Have realistic expectations.  If you were born with baby fine hair, you will never have that thick, luxurious mane in commercials and on TV.  I've come to terms with this myself.  And as soon as I stopped wishing for a ponytail that looked like a thick rope or horses mane, I came to appreciate what grows out of my head and treat it as such.

I don't know what to suggest as far as what styles to wear to work.  But you will have to work harder for healthy hair if you chose to use a relaxer or texturizer.  And although weaves can protect your hair from the elements and harsh styling, they might break your hair off from tension and tight braids.  The style that allows me to wear my hair elegantly and "flowing" is a braid out.  It takes practice to get the style right, but for me at any length it has been a good option.

Edited by krisviola1 - Sep 22 2013 at 2:53pm
tinyrail25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinyrail25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 8:06am
help! can anyone refer me to a hair product to help thicken my hair it's too thin I love the length but would like to add some thickness to it
Butterfly Gurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly Gurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 3:21pm
I met a lady at a hair shop wear I buy my indian hair for weaving she sales natural oils for your hair which stimulates growth. It has 5 different oils in it including biotin oil. I started using it about 3 months ago and i noticed growth and my breakage stopped. I usually use it in between weaves but when I wear my big curly weave i'm able to using it during my weave wear. It comes in a bottle with a nozzle which make it easy to apply to my scalp. I have her contact information if you are interested I believe I paid 8 bucks for it.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by tinyrail25 tinyrail25 wrote:

help! can anyone refer me to a hair product to help thicken my hair it's too thin I love the length but would like to add some thickness to it

If you were born with thin hair, then there is nothing you can do to permanently increase the thickness of your hair. Thickness (strand width) and density (the number of strands on your head) are genetic and are a part of your natural hair texture.

However if your hair is thin from damage and breakage, I would suggest lightly trimming your edges and massaging your scalp with stimulating oils to promote growth.  Cut back on any damaging things you may be doing to your hair like excessive heat styling and practice general good hair care techniques.  Overtime you will see an increase in the thickness of your hair.

Leezylocs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leezylocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 3:36am
I have very fine, thin hair myself. My only advise.....moisturize, moisturize and MOISTURIZE. My hair love protein and cons. So it seem like u have a moisture issue and need new produce.

Get sulfate free shampoo, a light moisturizing conditioner and a good oil to seal with. ALWAYS seal! My hair so thin and fine that if i change my regimen wit the wrong product it takes months to get my hair back to health. And I'm a slow grower too. Another thing I found out wit baby fine hair....all african american hair care products are not your friend. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothebony80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 9:09am
Thanks for the tips! How did you find the jojoba oil, what properties does it have that makes it better than the castor oil? Is it possible to "overuse" it? I think the problem with the castor oil may have been improper use, I know there is something about needed to combine use of caster oil with a moisturizer or it will dry out the hair in dry weather conditions?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoothebony80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2013 at 9:11am
Thanks! Yes I can tell all AA products are not my friend. It is a shame most of these products are not even produced by US and contain all kinds of sulphates and alcohols which is clearly not good for the hair. It's a jungle out there with hair care supplies, I have so much stuff that I've bought that isn't really compatible with my hair type.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply