Topic ClosedHELP PLEASE!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 6:05pm
i think the biggest thing about Afro hair is learning how to detangle it and then how to style it so that it can grow in peace free of manipulation. to me those are the two biggest things. so if she's like under the age of 13 i recommend styling her hair in braids/cornrows/small twists so that you can leave the hair alone for 2-3 wks at a time, moisturizing it where needed. Detangling is usually where people go horribly wrong when it comes to caring for afro hair, in my experience. The biggest tips i have for that are:
patience- it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to detangle all of my son's 4-5 inches of 4c hair. his hair is very tightly coiled, and tends to resemble a cloud. if you're taking your time to make sure you don't break their hair, and that you're not being rough on their scalp, it'll pay off in the long run with thick and long hair to show for it. 
gentleness- there's no such thing as being too tender-headed. that's a stupid phrase that's thrown around a lot in our community by the ignorant. if the child's hair hurts when you're doing their hair, it's because your technique is wrong and you're probly tugging on knots where you should take the time to carefully undo them using your fingers or an appropriate utensil. 
understanding- understanding that if your curls or looser, or if you have silky naturally straight or wavy hair, that their hair needs are going to differ from yours. and most likely the technique(s) you use for your hair won't be the same one's you'll need for doing theirs. don't expect their hair to conform to the straight hair standard
technique and sectioning- learn how to carefully remove knots from their hair so that you're not breaking the hair off, implicating otherwise healthy hair strands, and that you're not creating a haven for split ends. it's best to work with the hair in very small sections. they don't have to be neat. but all you do is get enough hair to fit into about the circumference of say, a silver dollar, and with that section you wanna spray the hair lightly with water. maybe 2 or 3 squirts on the section  you're working with. then you wanna take a moisturizer or detangling product or just plain old conditioner or just plain ol' oil (the options are limitless but the point is you want something that'll smooth the hair and make it easy for knots/tangles to slide on out without too much friction!) and put enough of it on the hair to lubricate it. then  you finger detangle your way through their hair gently, merely by separating the strands one from another, feeling out where the clumps or tangles are and focusing on those areas until the tangles are localized to where you want or they're gone altogether. some people can get by on finger detanling alone without having to use a comb/brush but others prefer to follow up with a comb. on my son's hair i do follow up with a bristle brush or a midsized comb, starting from the ends and gently combing in downward motions on up the section until i'm able to comb seamlessly from roots to ends- which should be easy and quick to do if you're properly made use of your fingers to work out the problem spots. 

i recommend looking up many videos on youtube and posts on blogs to see how to properly finger detangle hair. i've been thinking about making a video of how i do my son's hair, because a lot of poeple don't know how to correctly do it so that the hair remains preserved and healthy and unbroken. :) 

as to the hair wrapping, you didn't say whether or not she has a relaxer, but generally with natural hair you don't need to wrap the hair in a literal sense. if you're asking whether she needs to sleep with a cap on her head, i personally don't think it's necessary (i sleep on my hair loose, in fact) but a lot of naturals will cover their hair at night. if she's relaxed, i recommend either wrapping it traditionally around her head OR plaiting her hair into several braids and then undoing them in the morning for a braidout. wrapping it will help keep it bone, silky straight :) 
i don't think it's necessary to oil it every day as it may make her hair greasy. or if you do oil daily please use only a little bit. too much product makes my hair cling together and coarse, which makes it break, which is why i wash my hair fairly often. so i think the less product the better, or light products are best. but it will depend on her hair, as some poeple's hair does depend on heavier or more frequent products or application. generally washing black hair every day isn't a good idea, but it depends on the hair, because if she has hair that easily forms clumps or curl units, you might be able to wash it daily (but even then, it's optional. not necessary) black hair tends to thrive when it is washed less frequently. if you apply product to her hair, you don't need to wash it out right away. you should be able to go about a week before actually needing to wash the hair, perhaps longer, even. 
good luck! it'll take trial and error and time, but it'll come through for you with enough practice and dedication and love Wink
Sponsored Links

NaturallyLovinZena View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 7:12pm
1) embrace her hair is not kinky just undefined curls that is more fragile
2) wash her hair once every 2 weeks with sulgate free shampoo for moisture
3) invest in a good moisture conditioner an deep conditioner
4) detangle starting from bottom to top
5) get a leave in conditioner an moisturizer layer it in her hair wile damp an use olive oil n organic coconut oil to seal it in
6) plait or twist your lil darlings hair gentle not to rough because our hair breaks n snaps easily
7) invest in a satin bonnet or pillow case
NaturallyLovinZena View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 7:16pm
For your darling lil hair walmart has both bonnet is 2.92 cent n pilloecase 7.97 once u put it on her let her sleep her hair should be dryor a lil damp its ok but dont touch het hair again unless it is to ligjtly mist it with it water and put oil on it througj out the week
African hair needs to be in Rest
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic