Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
I Love Greece View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Love Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP PLEASE!!!!
    Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 12:02pm
Hi

I have a young African foster daughter with afro hair.  I've no experience of afro hair so any advice would really be appreciated.

Someone has mentioned to me that I should put oil on it every night (Argan Oil and Olive Oil has been mentioned).  Is this right?  As we have been told not to wash her hair every night, do we just massage it into dry hair.  Should she then sleep with her hair wrapped?  Do I then need to wash it off in the morning or do you leave it in?

Any other tips would really help.

Sorry, I'm so ignorant, but I want to get it right.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 3:10pm
Leave it in.  You'll get a rhythm for what works and what doesn't in her hair.  Old school used to grease the scalp, comb through and then style using braids, plaits, leaving it in a 'fro', bushballs, or other.  New school realizes that anything with mineral oil or petrolatum does not allow the scalp to breath, so new school uses all natural hair 'grease' or oils to lubricate the scalp and hair.  This is done because afro hair texture does not allow moisture and the natural oils from the scalp to coat the hair as easily as straighter hairs do, so we enlist the aid of natural oils.  This is why we don't rinse them out.  They help lock in the moisture and coat the stands.  Brushes are BIG no no's.  They tear our hair.  Use the tangle teaser as a brush and a big fro comb that won't tear the hair.

Go lighly when you oil, you don't want a grease ball on your hands.  I'd say washing every 1 or 2 weeks is enough.  In my household, we co-wash each week, which is washing hair with conditioner.  It doesn't have to be WEN, it can be ANY conditioner you like.  You can use shampoo maybe once or twice a month to keep from stripping the hair.

To keep the hair ends from drying out, I recommend acidifying the hair once or twice per month using Roux 233 Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner.

When you cover the hair at night it should be with a silk or satin scarf.  Or you can do it the easy way by only using satin pillow cases.  The keep the oil and moisture from being sucked out of the hair and help cut damage WAY DOWN!

I visit the forum only once in a blue moon so I hope what I posted helps you in some way, just in case I don't log back in for a while.  The other sista's who frequent will probably chime in with more indepth advice.
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2014 at 3:17pm

oh, and I forgot to mention shea butter.  It's great on our hair.  I prefer to mix it with natural oils to a nice whipped consistency.  I NEVER heat, microwave or melt my oils or shea butter.  It only takes 5 minutes with a metal fork to mash and whip shea butter by hand.  Once whipped, I add in natural oils and continue whipping until I reach the desired consistency.  Here are a few to consider:

http://www.natural-remedies-for-skin-care.com/carrier-oils.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Love Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2014 at 6:24am
Thanks SO much.  That's a really great help!

x
trinastresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trinastresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 4:59am
http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/?m=1

This is a really good site. A great place to start for a young black girl xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Love Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 7:35am
Hi

That's a really good site.  Thank you!

trinastresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinastresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:22am
I love that site, I came across it by chance :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Love Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:24am
I've posted a link to it on my foster carer's facebook page, as there have been other foster carers who haven't had experience of Afro hair.  Thanks again!
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:43am

1)Hello Hydration Conditioner 
Learn how to use it INSTEAD of a shampoo (This is called CONDITIONER ONLY Washing or CO Washing. This is like DIY Wen cleansing product)

Learning to do this is VITAL for AA hair as regular shampoos strip all the few natural oils we have, dry it out and make it break off like your daughter's is doing
2) ApHogee two minute conditioner
This is a mild protein conditioner and will help with breakage.
3) Some conditioner caps (look like shower caps) you may sleep w/ these on when your hair is suffering from dryness.

4) Satin bonnets or satin scarves. Cover the hair with these at night to protect the hair from harsh drying cotton fibers which wick out moisture and cause dryness and breakage
5) Sulphur oil to apply to scalp at night to promote growth.
6) A moisture leave in  to moisturize the hairs at night

A good daily moisture spray mist could include: water, Vegetable glycerine, and a natural oil (possibly aloe vera juice). Maybe rosemary and/or peppermint essential oils which are good for hair growth.
7)Natural oils like Extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil to apply to hair daily before bed. Use this to seal in the moisture each night.
8) Maxi Hair Vitamins
There are a lot of helpful hairlistas with youtube channels like the ones above. have your daughter to subscribe to some of these ladies who have hair like hers and LEARN. 

Edited by LadyAradia - Feb 21 2014 at 3:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I Love Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 11:56am
Brilliant.  Thank you!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style