FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

HELP! My daughters hair started to lock up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
natosha99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natosha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! My daughters hair started to lock up
    Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 12:46am
And its not on purpose. My daughter has tight coily hair, but usually, its pretty easy to toss her in the tub and detangle it. For the first time ever, her hair has started to form matted dred locks. I did a BHM search, followed many of the solutions offered, and nothing is working. I have been cutting them out, because I can't finger detangle, nor can the tangle teezer or denman get the matted hair untangled. I have tried ACV, Aloe Vera, steaming with an entire bottle of conditioner, allowing the conditioner to sit for 6 hours, allowing conditioner to sit overnight, coconut oil, EVOO, you name it, I've tried it.

This all started this summer. She took swim lessons, but wore a swim cap and her hair didn't get wet at all. I checked after every lesson. I can't think of what is causing this and I don't want her starting 1st grade at a new school with no hair. She has really long hair and has been crying every time I snip out another locked up chunk of hair. Right now her head looks horrible, but because her hair is so thick, she could probably get away with letting the missing chunks of hair slowly grow back out.

See fotki picture below (she was 4 in this picture so her hair is not as long as it is now)
http://public.fotki.com/natosha99/natural-hair/arrissa4-years-057.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/natosha99/natural-hair/imag0153-1.html

Somebody please let me know if this has happened to you and what I should do. It seems like every time I go to inspect the progress of the conditioner, more dred locks have formed. And I am using suave naturals, herbal essence, giovanni, and Jessi Curls Deep Conditioners all mixed together on her head. I used the coconut oil and EVOO prior to adding conditioner.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 1:03am
I don't really know what to say except to be patient. I personally wouldn't cut anything because if people can comb out actual dreadlocks I know hers can be combed out with time and patience. Your daughter is beautiful by the way.
rubynaturalprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rubynaturalprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 1:52am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I don't really know what to say except to be patient. I personally wouldn't cut anything because if people can comb out actual dreadlocks I know hers can be combed out with time and patience. Your daughter is beautiful by the way.

This. Her hair is only behaving naturally, however I think the solution is in the styling. Idk know how you style it around her activities but perhaps single parted braids will work. My little cousins and I had full hair when we were little and our mom's just kept them in single braids or non stressful braided styles and take it down once a week for a wash. We wore our hair out once every other week. 

If she wears her hair out like in the photos often then of course her hair will loc. Protective styling will hopefully save this from happening the future. Don't cut that baby's hair please.  

As for taking it down, here's what I think might work. Now, I took down my 3 year old locs ( from tip to root) with water, conditioner and a very thick sewing needle, simply because my hair  was to thick and coarse for a rat tail comb. There was no damage, I had a full head of hair afterwards. The shed hair was alot ( 3 years worth of shedding)  but I had about 11-13 inches of healthy hair left after I got a trim. I doubt baby girl will though since these baby locs/knots are new. 

Patience is key. Hope I helped. 
She is too damn cute in those photos!
natosha99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natosha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 11:07am
Thanks! I stopped cutting out the locks, and used a sewing needle and my fingers. She still lost quite a bit of hair, but I was able to put her hair into several small braids all over her head to keep manipulation down. My concern is that her hair started dreading up whenever it was in a ponytail. She usually only wears her hair down for wash days. Otherwise, its always in a protective style. I'm going to call a lady here that does braids to see if she can do something for her before school starts. Thanks again for your help!
kriticalkare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriticalkare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 3:38pm
Maybe an actual detangler.  Aunt Jackie's has a good detangler (smell is VERY sweet) it's approx. $5.00 at my local Family Dollar.
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 5:06pm
HER HAIR IS GORG! 
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 11:28am
Can you keep it braided? Yea...id stop cutting and get some cowboy magic
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 2:39am
Originally posted by natosha99 natosha99 wrote:

And its not on purpose. My daughter has tight coily hair, but usually, its pretty easy to toss her in the tub and detangle it. For the first time ever, her hair has started to form matted dred locks. I did a BHM search, followed many of the solutions offered, and nothing is working. I have been cutting them out, because I can't finger detangle, nor can the tangle teezer or denman get the matted hair untangled. I have tried ACV, Aloe Vera, steaming with an entire bottle of conditioner, allowing the conditioner to sit for 6 hours, allowing conditioner to sit overnight, coconut oil, EVOO, you name it, I've tried it.

This all started this summer. She took swim lessons, but wore a swim cap and her hair didn't get wet at all. I checked after every lesson. I can't think of what is causing this and I don't want her starting 1st grade at a new school with no hair. She has really long hair and has been crying every time I snip out another locked up chunk of hair. Right now her head looks horrible, but because her hair is so thick, she could probably get away with letting the missing chunks of hair slowly grow back out.

See fotki picture below (she was 4 in this picture so her hair is not as long as it is now)
http://public.fotki.com/natosha99/natural-hair/arrissa4-years-057.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/natosha99/natural-hair/imag0153-1.html

Somebody please let me know if this has happened to you and what I should do. It seems like every time I go to inspect the progress of the conditioner, more dred locks have formed. And I am using suave naturals, herbal essence, giovanni, and Jessi Curls Deep Conditioners all mixed together on her head. I used the coconut oil and EVOO prior to adding conditioner.

Thanks in advance

Saw no mention of combs.
Do you have a rat tail comb?
Wet the matted tangle and add plenty of conditioner to it, then use the pointy end of the rat tail comb to gently pick the matted tangle out.
Only snip away if it's hanging from one strand so to speak, try avoiding scissors.

Also, next time be careful with mixing conditioners, they can end up acting like a glue on hair once it starts to dry, especially if they aren't specifically intended as a leave in.
So try to stick with one conditioner if possible.

While detangling, keep a spraybottle with water near to spritz the hair and a bottle of conditioner to add more conditioner where needed. Since you will be detangling in sections, it's best to do this per section.Section off any hair that isn't being detangled.

Once you have detangled a section braid it up temporarily to keep it from forming new tangles with another section. Keep doing this till you're done.

Good luck!

Edited to add:
I have a black rat tail comb with metal that looks like these:

Plus I scrolled through too fast and didn't see you already managed to detangle it with a thick needle.

As for her hair matting when wearing it in a ponytail, was that at the end of the same day or the next day? You mentioned her only wearing her hair down on wash days.

One reason that the hair could mat with a ponytail is when it's not taken down on the same day. Doesn't have to be the case, but it's a possibility, especially with the way some hair products(including conditioners used as a leave in) can act once they are dry.

Some products just do not like each other at all, mixing products can also cause problems(This could also mean using one product after applying another).

And last but not least did you use the same product(s) every time her hair matted in a ponytail? Maybe her hair doesn't like it/them. Or maybe her hair doesn't like it/them while in a ponytail but does like it/them in different styles, it's all trial and error I guess.

Edited by Ritle - Jun 23 2013 at 3:18am
pRiNCesSChANeL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pRiNCesSChANeL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2013 at 11:59am
All of this advice is great!

I would like to add.. on wash days are you washing her hair is seperated sections? Her hair is very thick, and for my own thick hair this method works best!
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 4:48pm
I see you said she wears a ponytail...seeing how thick her hair is I would make multiple smaller braids/twisted styles preferably stretched.  My sister and I were both young and had super thick hair and didn't have that problem because of styling.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic