Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives > Hair Growth Archives 2007
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Forum LockedHelp! Major post-relaxer shedding and breakage

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
MsTaurus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Major post-relaxer shedding and breakage
    Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 12:03am

I just relaxed my hair last week w/ Silk Elements lye relaxer and now I am experiencing some MAJOR breakage and shedding. This was my second time ever doing a self-relaxer and I wasn't able to apply and smooth the relaxer within the recommended maximum time (I went 8 minutes over). When I went to wash the relaxer out, my hair was burning like crazy and I DON'T normally burn easy. Now, my hair is breaking and shedding out of controlCry...more than I can ever remember. Today was the worst. I had my hair in a ponytail and when I took it out, chunks of hair came out...some looked like they came straight out the rootsCryCry. What should I do?? Will the hardcore Aphogee treatment work?? If so, is it too soon after the relaxer (1 wk) to do it, especially considering that I did one 2 wks b/f the relaxer.

Please help!! I don't want to go baldCry 
Sponsored Links

in2fitness View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 4:03am
Sorry you are going through this.  I had breakage after a relaxer but not this severe. I don't think it's too soon 1 week after the relaxer to start doing something to prevent the breakage.  Just not sure exactly what you should do.  Sorry I can be more of help..

Can more of the experience ladies help our sista out..Smile
Angie10 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 5:42am
I think you should go ahead and do the protein treatment, to see if it will help. I just relaxed a week ago with silk element, I'm not having any shedding or breakage. One thing that I do is go to a health food store or vitamin shoppe, pick up a box of nettle tea, burdock tea and saw palmetto tea. Brew them together and use that to rinse your hair. Let it sit for a few mintues, it seems to make my hair feel a little stronger. I don't shed as much, but I don't know if it will work for you.

You can also try a product called alter ego cren for hair loss, I have tried it before and it seems to help. I hope the protein treatment will help you with the shedding and breakage. Good luck.
Creole_honey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Angie10 Angie10 wrote:

I think you should go ahead and do the protein treatment, to see if it will help. I just relaxed a week ago with silk element, I'm not having any shedding or breakage. One thing that I do is go to a health food store or vitamin shoppe, pick up a box of nettle tea, burdock tea and saw palmetto tea. Brew them together and use that to rinse your hair. Let it sit for a few mintues, it seems to make my hair feel a little stronger. I don't shed as much, but I don't know if it will work for you.

You can also try a product called alter ego cren for hair loss, I have tried it before and it seems to help. I hope the protein treatment will help you with the shedding and breakage. Good luck.

Do what Angie10 says girl.....Your hair will surely stop breaking.....oh, Lekair cholesteral plus ( not the green one) is a great strenghteing conditionerBig%20smile
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Angie10 Angie10 wrote:

Co-signing with what Angie stated.  Do that Aphogee treatment today, follow the instructions to the letter.  Try and nip it, before it gets worse.  Make sure that you rinse, rinse, rinse.  Then use a moisturizing conditioner.  Handle your hair gentle, low manipulation.

Edited by Claudie - Nov 16 2006 at 10:27am
Prada3721 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 1:53pm

ITA with the rest of the ladies.

I've done Aphogee same day as a relaxer when I was having breakage.  It works.  It'll be painful on any spots that were actually burned/scabbed by the relaxer (just so you're warned). 

After you have gotten all the aphogee out -- do a deep conditioner for 1) the moisture factor  2) the smell factor.

My pre-poo with: honey, Evoo, LeKair Cholesterol Conditioner & coconut milk (with 10 to 20 secs in microwave) is really good for adding moisture which you may need if your hair got overprocessed. 

Also if you get itchies on your scalp from relaxer burns -- witch hazel may help.  Also head & shoulders conditioner (NOT SHAMPOO).  Keep your scalp and head moisturized for the time being. 

HTH.
candies View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 3:54pm
I'll do a hardcore protein treatment as well if I were in your shoes! Also, ACV rinses work well for shedding!

Good Luck!
MsTaurus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 5:45pm
Thanks for all the advice ladies. I'll do the Aphogee treatment tonight!
talkalotgirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 6:27pm
I am not trying to throw salt...this is my opinion...

if you do the APogee...please be sure to get a conditioner that returns your hair to the correct pH.  They make a conditioner that goes with the product for this.

I was once told that you shouldn't do apogee more than every 3 months, by the best hairdresser I ever had (went to her for 12 yrs, then she became ill).  She told me that it is protien and it continues to strenthen your hair but the protien can keep make it dry and brittle.  So, if you choose to do it, I would make sure you use a lot of conditioner.

I would try to get some rosemary essetial oil and do a scalp massage.  Also, I know your hiar is sheding, but the stress of a ponytail may not be the best right now.

I would try to get something that is going to soothe your scalp and moisterize as much as possible.

I like WGHO and Dr. Miracle hair oil.

good luck

Edited by talkalotgirl - Nov 16 2006 at 6:29pm
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 6:31pm
i know the purpose of relaxer is to straighten, but its always better to use a base to protect your scalp b/c you can also damage follicles in a harsh process.. i would use vaseline b4 applying on my scalp as a base.. but i agree with the others aphogee treatments are wonderful and a ACV rinse too helps with shedding..
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic