Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! DRY, DRY HAIR!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Stephiebear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! DRY, DRY HAIR!
    Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 1:01pm
Okay, so I deep condition EVERY week and i co-wash. When i get out of the shower my hair is unbelievable nice and soft and bouncy and it's beautiful. But once my hair starts to dry (i air dry) it all goes away. the bounciness goes away and the extreme softness goes away. Cry What can I do to stop this? 

Sponsored Links

Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 8:38pm
You're probably not using the right products on your hair. Depending on your strands' porosity you may have to start using lighter/heavier products and a new technique in applying it. The first thing you should do is to start from scratch - try clarifying your hair as to get rid of any buildup from conditioners and other styling products that contain silicone. Silicone is great for shine but it also builds up on your hair strands and can actually end up blocking out moisture. After that, before putting anything in your hair try and collect a few shed strands to do a porosity test. The porosity test is fairly easy to do; just get a bowl of room temperature water and place a few strands of you hair in and see how long it takes to sink to the bottom. If the hair completely sinks within the first 2 mins of being put in, then your hair may be high porosity. If it doesn't completely sink very quickly, then your porosity is normal. If it doesn't sink at all within 5-10 mins, then your hair is low porosity and that is the hardest type of hair to moisturize because the cuticles along the shaft of the strand are very compact and dang near completely watertight. Another way to go about trying to figure out your porosity is to watch your hair's behavior in the shower. Does it take very long to get wet? (If it gets wet within a reasonable amount of time (according to you) then you may have normal porosity hair.) Does it get soaked in seconds? (If it does, then that means that your hair might have high porosity because the cuticles are open and absorb everything fairly quickly.) Does you have to squeeze water through your hair in order for it to actually feel wet?(If water beads up in your hair and you have to section it out to even get water to penetrate your hair then you have low porosity.)

I'm guessing that you have either low or high porosity hair since by your description your hair feels dry rather quickly. In the case of high porosity hair, the cuticles are lifted, so the water that was originally taken in tends to evaporate in no time. If that's the case, try going ahead and using a creamy leave-in followed by a touch of hair butter to trap the water in the shaft. If your hair is low porosity (like mine), you may have to go through a few products and different techniques. The thing with having low porosity hair is that your cuticles are gonna be closed and lay really, really flat (like the tiles on the roof of a house). That being said, you'll have to get into the habit of manually lifting these "tiles" to get anything into the shaft. One way of doing that is to shower with a bit of warm water (not hot, that'll dmg your hair). When you get out, you can then either leave a bit of diluted conditioner or some creamy leave-in in your hair and then add some light oil/butter to seal in the moisture. This method is called Liquid (water mostly), Oil, Cream or LOC for short. It doesn't have to go like that all of the time as sometimes the LCO (liquid-cream-oil) method works better for some ppl.

In my experience (as a low porosity girl), I've noticed that I need to avoid products with too much protein or risk getting brittle hair. High porosity ladies may benefit more from protein treatments. Keep on deep conditioning because it really does wonders. Also, since I try to avoid using conditioners with silicone in them as I don't need my hair to get any buildup. Using products with humectants is also a good idea but I wouldn't get into that right now because I really still don't know how to use them correctly.

HTHs.
cosmochica010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cosmochica010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 9:25pm
Green house method every night! It worked for me. If you need to add a little bit of oil to your ENDS only but first try not to. Just add a little mist of water to your hair but not to where its soaking wet and then put a bag or a shower cap over your hair and tie your scarf or jus out your bonnet over it. After a week you should notice a major difference. You'll notice a difference the next day, but the longer you do it the better.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 5:09pm
apply a nice oil to the hair while it is still  wet. OR put olive oil in your conditioners and don't rinse it all out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 8:34pm
Thank you for your reply!
I have done the strand test; my hair has low porosity. I don't use much product on my hair, the products i do use are light weight. I do protein treatments once every two weeks because my hair is relaxed. I tried the LOC method and it didnt work for me so i will try the LCO method and see how that works. I do use products that have silicone in them so i'm going to try to find other products that don't have any (which wont be easyCry) Thanks, again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephiebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 8:36pm
I've tried the green house method before..tbh it just turned my hair into mush. My hair didn't like it at ALL.
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Stephiebear Stephiebear wrote:

Thank you for your reply!
I have done the strand test; my hair has low porosity. I don't use much product on my hair, the products i do use are light weight. I do protein treatments once every two weeks because my hair is relaxed. I tried the LOC method and it didnt work for me so i will try the LCO method and see how that works. I do use products that have silicone in them so i'm going to try to find other products that don't have any (which wont be easyCry) Thanks, again!

Np. I'm a natural so I'm not sure what would work on relaxed hair but here's some products I use in my (mostly non silicone) regimen;

Non-silicone:
Giovanni Direct Leave-in - it has some proteins in it but it's not the type that makes my hair hard.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk - has silk proteins which is more like a conditioner than a hard protein.
Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner - this is my non-silicone rinse out that I also use as a leave-in sometimes. It does contain aloe vera (acts like a protein) and avocado oil (which is a protein), so it may make your hair hard.
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie - I like to use this when I'm doing styles that need a little hold. I found it to be fairly moisturizing when I wear twists.
V05 Moisture Milks - definitely a protein condish but it leaves my hair so soft.

Silicone:
Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner - only as a backup.
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration - this is my general go-to rinse out conditioner but at the moment, I'm sorta taking a vacay from it since it doesn't seem to be as moisturizing as it used to be.
Aussie Moist - gawd, this is my holy grail. I just wish it was available on this side of the world(oh, the irony!).

Shampoo:
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine - non sulfate. In my case, sulfates can lead to my hair being dry and brittle.

Oils:
Grapeseed, Argan, Coconut and Jojoba.
Anything heavier than those and my hair will be a sticky mess. It sucks because back in the day, ppl were raving about olive oil and my hair completely despises it. Cry
Daniel.bryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel.bryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 1:53am
You should use coconut oil 30 minutes before you wash your hairs..........

Ravenlocks~93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravenlocks~93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 5:48pm
I used to have a similar problem especially on my ends but I fixed that by doing hot oil treatments with a combination of olive oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil hours before my wash. I also don't use shampoo at all anymore because I found SLS and SLS free shampoos both cause my scalp to dry and get irritated so I just wash my scalp with a paste of ayurvedic herbs (shikakai, aritha, amla, and brahmi). These have cleansing properties but are much more gentle. Brahmi and amla are very good for bringing in moisture back into the hair, while shikakai and aritha are great for clarifying the scalp. If you do decide to use these herbs, make sure you always oil your hair beforehand. I also noticed they are much more effective as cleansing agents when the product build up in the hair is a result from natural oils rather than styling products with silicones and other ingredients that require SLS shampoos to be completely removed from the scalp. I condition my ends with 'Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner' and after I rinse it out with cool water, I apply a mixture of jojoba, camellia oil and peppermint essential oil on my hair and rinse out again with cool water after waiting 10 minutes. After that, I let my hair air dry a little and apply 'Nu-gro Leave-In Spray with Moisturizer' as my leave-in and detangle with a wide tooth seamless comb. So far, this routine has worked the best for me especially during winter, when my hair gets dry and brittle. As far as protein treatments go, I use Aphogee two step about every 6-8 weeks and that seems to help my hair keep its strength and retain moisture better. I hope this helps Smile
Keezyanduknoit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezyanduknoit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 7:18pm
Whnever i cond my hair i usually add olive oil to it... But after a style gets old i use EVOO and apply to my scalp and this keeps my scalp moisturized abd i also apply iy to my ends...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic