BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Training...is it really that bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Babydoll9163 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babydoll9163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Training...is it really that bad?
    Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:16pm
Soooo I'm currently in the process of transitioning and considering heat training my natural hair.

I prefer straight styles but I'm cutting relaxers because I love how much more healthier and voluminous my natty hair is. The middle ground seems to be heat training.

Over my research it seems a lot of people view "heat trained" as a nice way of saying "heat damaged." Since you are technically damaging the keratin and changing your texture. The question I have is, if I'm going to damage my hair anyways....should I just keep relaxing? Confused Would heat training really be that bad?

If anyone has input on the debate, please contribute (I know Domin and Napp are heat trained...so their input would be most welcome Embarrassed)

Vid on heat training for those who don't know what it is:

Sponsored Links

AllyOrNotAlly View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyOrNotAlly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:23pm
I think if you do it very carefully and gradually it could possibly be alright.

With relaxed hair, are you going to also use heat to straighten your hair? If you are... then you'll be using chemicals AND heat.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:23pm
Her hair line... poor girl
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:34pm
i was natural.. it was cool... but I love straight hair.. and the only way my hair was getting that way was through direct heat.. and tons of it.

decided to go back to relaxers.. but I do it "smart".
I only relax 3 times a year.. every 4 mnths...an I rarely use direct heat.
I make sure I stay on top of my protein treatments..
and my hair is healthy..

so healthy relaxed hair.. isn't an urban legend. 
it works better for me.
Babydoll9163 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babydoll9163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by AllyOrNotAlly AllyOrNotAlly wrote:

I think if you do it very carefully and gradually it could possibly be alright.

With relaxed hair, are you going to also use heat to straighten your hair? If you are... then you'll be using chemicals AND heat.

Honestly idk. I used to use heat with my relaxers but that was before I knew wtf healthy hair was LOL I may press my hair bone straight every now and then but not on a regular basis...and I could air dry with a relaxer too...

I've been using weaves to grow my hair out for a while now and will stay in extensions until I can figure out how I want to work all this out. I'm just trying to understand if heat trained is truly damaged and what all that means in the grand scheme of things.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:39pm
I was contemplating a relaxer today.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:42pm
i plan on heat training when my hair is the length i want.  or a little past it.  so maybe in a year :)

i dont need to get my hair bone straight bc honestly my hair would likely always be in a bun.  i just want my hair to be "straight" enough so that it always looks like this without excessive/no heat

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-iSdpPm8-k/TD0HzI1gVEI/AAAAAAAAAfI/vLbgvsmoDdA/s1600/017.JPG
NadiaPost View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NadiaPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:43pm
whats the difference between wait is done in the video and using a hotcomb. I want to do something chemical free to my babies hair. I flatiron it once in awhile. I'm training her hair to be softer. I use olive oil and coconut oil in her hair and cowash every 2 weeks. Her hair has gotten softer but when her hair isdone in the morning she always gets off the bus looking a hot mess. Hair all over, clip missing. I don't get it. Her hair never comes home the way I did it in the morning
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:43pm
my natural 4b hair is damaged. it likes to split. and this is be being as delicate and taking care of my hair. so fckk those "you're damaging your hair."

go choke on a denman brush and leave me alone.
amira88 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amira88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 10:49pm
Does this loosen the curl pattern? Will some with 3c be able to go to a 3b
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>