Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

HBCU Alum, It's Time to Step Up (long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HBCU Alum, It's Time to Step Up (long)
    Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:37am
Blog Post pasted below.
SUMMARY: Give back to the HBCU that you graduated from.

HBCU Alum, It's Time to Step Up:

http://www.phillbranch.com/2014/04/17/its-time-to-step-up-hbcugiveback/
#HBCUGIVEBACK

They stole Harlem.
It’s not the real Brooklyn anymore.
“Chocolate City” is history.
You know they about to take Newark.
Macklemore is not hip-hop.
They twerkin’ now?
That is NOT the real Harlem Shake.
They stole jazz.
and repeat.

Add a couple game requests, misquoted bible verses, Buzzfeed, Lupita slaying the red carpet and Scandal Thursdays and that about sums up much of my social media timelines as of late.  Of all of the digital noise, the chatter about Brooklyn has really given me pause.

I’m not from Brooklyn, but I understand the strong emotions that are being stirred up in folks who feel marginalized and pushed out. The debates about so-called gentrification have me thinking about erasure. It not just that folks are being bumped out and that old haunts are disappearing, it’s also that they are being forgotten. At first there are still memories, but then by the time the third cupcake shop opens and after they knock down the row houses to make room for the stadium, people start to forget.

It would be great if we could identify the roots of change that are more tangible than the mysterious “they” who takes everything away. There’s a pretty vocal outcry about what is being taken from people, but barely a whisper about what people are giving away.

The distinction between being taken, or being given away is striking a chord with me as I plan for my class reunion at Hampton University. Over the last few months, I’ve read at least a dozen articles about the fate of HBCUs. The articles usually lean towards shaming alumni, blaming racism and chastising HBCUs for not keeping up with the times. Having recently served as a professor at Hampton, I am aware of some of the struggles that institutions face. Schools are closing, faculty are often stretched to their limits in terms of class loads, facility issues etc.

When I was in my 20s, I remember having a conversation with Hampton’s president, Dr. Harvey. He was asking me opinion about why younger people were not giving. I sat there and put all of the onus on Hampton. It was Hampton’s job to sell the school all over again to people who had already matriculated. I explained that some of them had issues with waiting in long lines, paperwork mixups, cafeteria food etc. Perplexed, he simply responded, “Hampton is your home. It’s part of your responsibility now to help take care of it.” He’s right.

I’m not going to gloss over the very real problems that exist at many HBCUs. There is work that needs to be done internally. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I have a love/hate (mostly love) with my own alma mater…but I still give back. I don’t want to give HBCUs away. I don’t want to lose them because of passive neglect.

This message isn’t really meant for people who don’t believe in the mission of HBCUs. It’s also not meant for people who had a truly terrible experience and now make a conscious choice not to give. I’m talking to the majority in the middle – we wear paraphernalia, go to homecomings, plan alumni mixers at local restaurants, but don’t take the time to go online and donate to the schools we love.

The conversations that public intellectuals are having about how race, unemployment and generational wealth impact HBCU alumni giving have nothing to do with why many of us have spent more money on homecoming outfits, than on giving. The bottom line is that we have to hold ourselves personally accountable for taking care of our own “homes.” Give back. It’s that simple.

I recognize that there are people who may not be able to give hundreds of dollars, but I am going to take a leap and say that I don’t know anyone who couldn’t put $5 on it.

Instead of endless theoretical debates, let’s take tangible steps towards being part of the solution. Join me in the #HBCUGIVEBACK movement over the next week. It’s this simple:

(1) Below is a list of HBCU links. Make a donation of any size to the school of your choice.

(2) Take a picture like the ones you see here. It should read:

I Give Back
because…
(tell us why you think giving is important)
#HBCUGIVEBACK
and then rep your school on the sign, or wear some ‘nalia. Be creative.

(3) Use the #HBCUGIVEBACK photo as your profile pic on your social media accounts.

(4) Share this post and encourage your friends to take part.

(5) Give a polite, virtual side-eye to your friends who don’t participate.

A few months back, 98% of my Facebook timeline had changed their profile pictures to a photo of a giraffe, because they couldn’t figure out a riddle. Hopefully we can get that same enthusiasm about something that can help change lives.

As I keep hearing about how much has been lost, or stolen, I can’t help but to think of how things might be a little different we put up stronger fights. I don’t ever want to ever hear:

They stole Hampton.
It’s not the real Spelman anymore.
“The Mecca” is history.
You know they about to take Tuskegee.

~ Phill Branch
Hampton University
Class of ‘94
OgreVIII (It’s a Hampton thing)
Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:59am
Harlem has lost some of its flavor I am not even gonna lie! its sad! I will give to the HBCU's because I think they are important! The concept is so Abstract to some youth?
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:04am
I read some articles about Howard University and other HBCUs struggling..... the sad part is that most students on those schools are in need of student loans. I wonder if those students give back after they graduate and get jobs.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:18am
I really loved this part of the blog post:

"When I was in my 20s, I remember having a conversation with Hampton’s president, Dr. Harvey. He was asking me opinion about why younger people were not giving. I sat there and put all of the onus on Hampton. It was Hampton’s job to sell the school all over again to people who had already matriculated. I explained that some of them had issues with waiting in long lines, paperwork mixups, cafeteria food etc. Perplexed, he simply responded, “Hampton is your home. It’s part of your responsibility now to help take care of it.” He’s right.

I’m not going to gloss over the very real problems that exist at many HBCUs. There is work that needs to be done internally. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I have a love/hate (mostly love) with my own alma mater…but I still give back. I don’t want to give HBCUs away. I don’t want to lose them because of passive neglect.

This message isn’t really meant for people who don’t believe in the mission of HBCUs. It’s also not meant for people who had a truly terrible experience and now make a conscious choice not to give. I’m talking to the majority in the middle – we wear paraphernalia, go to homecomings, plan alumni mixers at local restaurants, but don’t take the time to go online and donate to the schools we love."

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:13am

oh so by the last paragraph, it seems like they aren't talking to me

I will pass this along to others

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:19am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

oh so by the last paragraph, it seems like they aren't talking to me

I will pass this along to others

I know boo.I know.LOL
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:40pm
Spelmans endowment isn't looking so hot in comparison to PWIs but as far as hbcus go spelman is doing well even though they have some shady investment dealings...what's curious to me is why they keep pouring money into the same schools while the other all women's hbcu is in a pathetic struggle.  The success of Spelman hasn't really translated to the uplift of bennett college which sucks...maybe close it and absorb it bc blk ppl w money just want to give to name brand institutions so both of their profiles are boosted.  Spelman only has 2k students so they need to boost the prestige of other hbcus.  North Carolina isn't as appealing of other states though.  Wel

I didn't go to an hbcu but I do want to help.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Apr 17 2014 at 12:41pm
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:45pm
Thanks OP!

I will donate to the dept after I graduate and get a yob. The camaraderie at a HBCU compared to a non-hbcu is second to none.Smile
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:05pm
YAAAAAASSSS!!!

The last time I went to UNCF board of trustees meeting, they said that the majority of HBCUs were staying afloat by implementing their affirmative action policies and funding more non-black students' educations. With all of the gripes that whites and Asians have regarding affirmative action, I can see many HBCUs tipping towards nonblacks being >50% in the not-too-distant future.

I think at least half of Howard U students don't know how they're going to pay for their next semester, yet so many non-black students educations are fully or at least 85% funded.

A lot has to change.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:12pm
^Wait wut @ that last paragraph. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style