Have you ever tried...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2013 at 11:39am
My water is hard here and my scalp is dry its a no go for me.  Plus I use perm. color so I condition/condition/condition every time.
Sponsored Links

krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2013 at 12:06pm
I definitely have hard water in my house as well.  If you are connected to a municipal water system and don't have a filter on your faucet, you have hard water.

But I drink straight from the tap and wash with it so maybe my perception of what comes out of the faucet is different from what others perceive.

Here is my hair today in a half up, half down bun style.  The natural shine is great (these pictures are all taken with the camera flash on).  It's still stretched from buns and twists so this is not my regular texture.

Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2013 at 7:11pm
Hard water won't be much of a problem if the hairs natural oils travel down the strands at (more) ease, but if your hair is (more)prone to dryness hard water will make it visibly worse.

I also drink straight from the tap, but I have noticed a difference with my hair using the carbon filtered water(just a jug, unfortunately don't have a filter system hooked up as yet, hopefully somewhere in the future) or bottled water opposed to water from the tap to spritz.

So right now I'd just be setting my hair up for dehydration with this method.

Great hair pictures by the way and yea I remember your hair pictures.

Edited by Ritle - Sep 03 2013 at 7:13pm
thelurkingKind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelurkingKind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2013 at 11:32pm
krisviola1  Cry Your hair is gorgeous. 

To answer, yes I tried last month and LOVE it for my 4b/c hair. I love it so much that I water only every other month now.  I can't grab a good screencap so here's a video if anyone wants to check out how this technique works on ahem nappy hair. LOL. 

My hair was sooooooo soft Shocked and ridiculously shiny and I by no means have an oily scalp. I had to change my regimen to make it work and darnit did it work :-) 

Edited by thelurkingKind - Sep 03 2013 at 11:36pm
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 7:08pm
Looks shiny, Kris! In my relaxed days, this technique worked well. I do notice that my hair is blinging when I do my water only rinse after conditioning.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2013 at 6:08pm
I have an update.

About 2 days ago I stopped using water and oil exclusively and used shampoo and deep conditioner.  Here is why.  My hair was becoming too difficult to detangle and I believe it's because of the lack of slip.

Using a water only regimen, my roots were very silky all of my hair had great shine.  My scalp was never dry or had the itchies, and the length of my hair stayed moisturized without any products.

But I had the most ridiculous time detangling.  Water and oil don't reduce the friction on my strands the same way commercial, slippery conditioners do.  I like to quickly finger comb my hair (we're talking 45 seconds-2 minutes of finger detangling and done).  But with water-only, I had to carefully peel apart each tangle and knot.

IMO, all those fears about water only drying out your hair are unwarranted.  I have VERY naturally dry hair.  It requires constant attention.  With water only, it never felt like I had to add any products or moisturizers.

But curly hair needs lubrication to comb.  So, I gave up.
thelurkingKind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelurkingKind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2013 at 11:27am
Hey Kris, thanks for the update, that info was quite useful and confirms my thoughts that water only works better on type 4 hair that is in a protective style.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by thelurkingKind thelurkingKind wrote:

Hey Kris, thanks for the update, that info was quite useful and confirms my thoughts that water only works better on type 4 hair that is in a protective style.  

Just like in your video with your hair in twists/braids.  I bet that could work for my hair as well.  But the twists don't hold up well under water and I shed a lot.

The lesson I learned from this experiment is that I can absolutely shampoo less often.  I will no longer shampoo every week and strive for once or twice a month.  I'm also going to try to use products that don't build up as much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 9:32pm
Okay It's been about a month later after this experiment.  And I sort of slipped back into it.

I got over my detangling woes, and figured why not do more water rinsing.  The reggie is so easy and it obviously gave my hair some huge benefits.

Rather than co-washing, I water rinse now.  Instead of leaving in conditioner, I leave in the oil.

Over time with some small modifications, I think this will be a regimen that will benefit my hair and scalp.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic