Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHave you ever been written up at work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
NailtechDC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you ever been written up at work?
    Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 9:27am
This past week I got written up for the first time in my entire work history. 
It was totally unexpected.  My supervisor laughed and joked around with me all day and then at the end of the day she says come on lets have our weekly meeting.  Each of my co-workers has a private meeting with her each week.  Only this time she says to me, "Oh we'll be having our meeting in HR"  My heart immediately dropped because I know people just don't meet in HR unless there is a problem. 

So she reads her write up to me and has me sign it in the presence of the HR manager.  She asks me do I wish to respond... But I was so angry and caught off guard, because all of the issues except one were never brought up to me before.   The one issue that I was familiar with she would often remind me not to forget to do it...but I had no idea that I would be terminated if I ever forgot again.  My job has many deadlines and I try my best to meet them.   I never even knew she had a problem with these things.   I get teary when I'm angry, so I tried to respond but I was seriously on the verge of crying..thats how upset I was.  I just stated..At this point I don't wish to respond. I couldn't cause I would have just burst out in tears like a baby.   They tell me if I wish to respond that I could always come to her.  I was going to let it slide and just try my best to address the issues, since now I know they were issues.  BUt I think she is just trying to get me out the door, so she can hire a friend of hers.  Can really go into detail, it's a long story.  BUt she does not like me personally.  I don't like her either, but I felt wecould get a long for the sake of the job.

BUt now I'm walking around scared, because next time she dislikes the way I'm doing something I will be terminated......and most likely without a verbal warning, just like this time.  HOw am I suppose to know that I'm doing something wrong without her feedback. As far as I knew I was doing a good job.  I've spent the last few days crying.  I called my old boss at a retail store I used to  work at  when I was a full time student a few years ago and told him what was going on.  He told me If I needed to come back, I could.  SO that makes me feel a little better.  But that job only pays minimum wage.  I don't want to let this lady run me off my job. 
SHe hasn't even been there but 8 months.  SHe started after me. 

I wrote up a 7 page letter responding to her claims.  I was not nasty, I just simply stated my opinion and questioned why she never brought any of this stuff to my attention, when it was clearly very important .  Important enough for me to get written up.   I plan on turning it in on Monday, but I'm terrified.  I think it will only make matters worse because after she reads it she will know I'm not as dumb as she thinks I am and I'm not a pushover.    I'm just trying to defend myself.  I think most of her accusations are wrong.  Honestly I think I will be terminated whether I turn it in or not.

I know she doesn't like me.....i don't think it has much to do with my job performance.  SHe just doesn't like me. 

I have no idea what to do.  But I am going job searching tomorrow.  I don't think I have long there.  The first time I do anything wrong...even if I come in 5 minutes late, that's it for me. 

Has this every happened to you? Did you stand up for yourself. 

Sponsored Links

onechase View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 9:33am
Does your job have a employee relations dept? If so, direct your complaint to them, if not, speak to the HR manager without her present....also keep documentation of all of your work, save any emails that your send or receive from your manager.....basically cover your azz
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 9:37am
well you said that she has reminded you about stuff and you've forgotten it. so that is a verbal warning
Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 9:41am
Originally posted by onechase onechase wrote:

Does your job have a employee relations dept? If so, direct your complaint to them, if not, speak to the HR manager without her present....also keep documentation of all of your work, save any emails that your send or receive from your manager.....basically cover your azz

All of this
companies do this b/s.  IF IT WAS SO IMPORTANT SHE SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT IT TO YOUR ATTN...RIGHT THEN AND THERE.  Dont wait weeks and months later to address said issues.

I would also talk to HR and if she doesnt help escalate it to corp HR (if applicable) and employee relations.
meika79 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Chyna_Li Chyna_Li wrote:

Originally posted by onechase onechase wrote:

All of this
companies do this b/s.  IF IT WAS SO IMPORTANT SHE SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT IT TO YOUR ATTN...RIGHT THEN AND THERE.  Dont wait weeks and months later to address said issues.

I would also talk to HR and if she doesnt help escalate it to corp HR (if applicable) and employee relations.
What these ladies said and especially the bolded.  ALWAYS cover your azz.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 10:21am
YUP!  I've been written up before. 

The manager didn't like me at all.  He would write BS reports that, of course, I was not allowed to see because they were "confidential."  He could only let me know that he was documenting my behavior.  I was called into meetings in his office on an almost weekly basis about my work performance.  Even telling me that there were reports from other employees that I was essentially a trouble maker.  (My co-workers laughed about that!)

There was a sort of company arbitration system, but I already knew they would side with my manager. 

Basically, my manager wanted to get rid of me because I stood up for myself and although things ran smoothly, they weren't run the way HE wanted them run, so he had a problem with that.

I ended up getting fired, but sued and won a settlement to the tune of 2 years salary, for wrongful dismissal.  (And the awesome thing about this was that the company went bankrupt 1 year later.)

I cannot stress enough to document, document, document like crazy.  Your paper trail is your lifeline, whatever happens.
tropical-punch View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 10:23am
Yeah when I forgot my name tag. It was the second time.
Do you think I ever forgot it again? no.

Sorry, I didn't read the OP. I'll read it later.
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 10:28am
I hope you knew u didnt have to sign it if you didnt agree you signing means u understand ur part in whatever the issue was and agreed.

Also i know how u may feel but what did u exactly get written up for bc you wrote alot and i still dont understand fully

Edited by ScorpioLuv - Mar 20 2010 at 10:29am
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 11:41am
what Scorpio said.   I hope you didn't sign it.  You don't have to sign it if you don't agree.....they don't like to tell you that.  If you sign it they take it as an acknowledgement that you was the one who f*cked up and you agree with errything written on that paper.

It was wrong and i get the feeling that your boss knew it was wrong.  In my office...if you're getting a verbal warning and it's serious...you get taken to an empty office or private space and have a sit down....they say "consider this a verbal warning" so there are no misunderstandings down the line.  You should've had a heads up that you had a meeting in HR and what for.  For your boss to laugh and joke with you then drop that on you is f*ckedupness at it's finest.

I agree about documentation.  Document errything from here on out....and i mean errything. 
latosha View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 11:54am
yeah once and i was so pissed. we were supposed to wear black shoes everyday, but nobody always wore all black shoes, most of the time people would wear sneakers with stuff on them. one day i wore these shoes that had some blue on the side and i got written up because they weren't "mostly black" when they only had one blue spot. i never heard anybody else get wrote up for that and continued to see people wearing dif shoes on the daily but whatever... i got tired of all their sh*t and got another job and quit before they fired me. they got robbed this week anyways so i'm like in your face lol

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic