Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Have you ever been VERBALLY ABUSED at WORK?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Immie89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Immie89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you ever been VERBALLY ABUSED at WORK?
    Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 5:59pm
Mistreated Walmart employee gets $1.46M
http://www.moneyville.ca/blog/post/1...yee-gets-1-46m

Good for her! have YOU ever been VERBALLY ABUSED at work?
Have you done something about it?
I find that Servers/Bartenders. the whole hospitality industry is very abusing.
From name-calling, sexually harassment, wages not being paid......

Full story here:

A former Windsor Walmart employee was awarded $1.46 million by a jury after she suffered months of abuse by her boss.

This generous award, which was more than Meredith Boucher sought, shows that juries are prepared to punish companies that do not provide a harassment-free working environment for their employees. However, Boucher has yet to receive a penny, because Walmart has appealed the decision.

In November, 2009, after 10 years with Walmart, Boucher resigned from the company's Windsor store because of her manager Jason Pinnock's belittling and demeaning behaviour. Her testimony at trial revealed that the harassment included swearing at her in front of other workers, belittling her when she called in sick and forcing her to count skids of products in front of other workers to prove she could count.

Boucher’s employment contract said she was entitled to two weeks of pay per year of service or 20 weeks. The company actually paid her for 32 weeks, but even so, Boucher sued both Walmart and Pinnock for $1 million for constructive dismissal and $250,000 more for punitive damages.

In early October, a jury of three men and three women found that she had been constructively dismissed and awarded her $1.46 million in damages.

Boucher testified that Pinnock's harassment began after the 2009 Victoria Day weekend when she had refused to falsify logs recording cleaning frequency in the bakery and temperatures maintained at various times in the food areas of the Tecumseh Rd. East store.

Boucher’s lawyer Myron Shulgan said in an interview Pinnock's actions included swearing at Boucher and calling her and ‘idiot’ and ‘stupid’ in front of her peers and subordinates. On one occasion when she brought in a doctor’s note saying she couldn’t work, Pinnock ordered her to ‘get your ... ***** in here.”

She also told the court that in June 2009 she was punched twice in the arm by another employee. She reported these incidents to Pinnock and senior management, but the employee was not charged with assault or disciplined by the company. That July, Boucher was taken off days and put on the overnight shift.

In spite of repeated complaints to Walmart’s District People Manager, the company took no steps to intervene or curtail Pinnock’s behaviour, the court heard. In fact, after meeting with a committee of three senior Walmart managers, Boucher was advised that her complaints did not warrant further consideration.

Shulgan says it is noteworthy that Boucher was courageous enough to champion her cause since she could have been out of pocket by $70,000 or $80,000 in costs if she was unsuccessful. “She was not motivated by financial gain. After the jury said she was constructively dismissed, she felt vindicated. She had no idea how much the jury awarded her until I told her.”

Awards of punitive damages are not common in Canadian employment law cases. However, a British Columbia jury recently awarded Larry Higginson $809,000 in wrongful dismissal damages and punitive damages against Babine Forest Products Ltd . The company later appealed and the parties settled out of court.

Walmart lawyer Stephen Jovanovic told the Windsor Star that he considered the jury’s award wildly out of whack and that he believes it will be overturned on appeal . However, Shulgan says courts show great deference to jury verdicts because the punitive damages award is an amount the jury believes is required to punish the wrongdoer and deter it from continuing the wrongful conduct in the future.

Edited by Immie89 - Nov 05 2012 at 6:00pm
Sponsored Links

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:04pm
No.

Quote Her testimony at trial revealed that the harassment included swearing at her in front of other workers, belittling her when she called in sick and forcing her to count skids of products in front of other workers to prove she could count.

She also told the court that in June 2009 she was punched twice in the arm by another employee. She reported these incidents to Pinnock and senior management, but the employee was not charged with assault or disciplined by the company.

Confused

Ain't no job in the world worth that kind of treatment.

Edited by FarraFace - Nov 05 2012 at 6:06pm
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:07pm
No but I have no problem walking out as I have no responsibilities
missdeeluxe View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missdeeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:11pm
Clap
Good for her.

Luckily I've never had someone in a supervisor/management position verbally abuse me, but I encountered so much of it from customers.
I worked for Speedway for 2 years and encountered some of the most ignorant, rude, scum of the earth people on a daily basis.

People screaming at you, throwing things over the counter at you, threatening you, and all over the price of gas/cigarettes/alcohol, or because a special had ended.
I had to call the cops on numerous occasions because of sexual harassment, or violent and intoxicated people.
I lost some faith in humanity working at that place.
Disapprove

Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:31pm
yes i have. this year so far has been especially bad. the parents are so out of pocket and admin does not back me up at all. going to work fills me with anxiety. after the week i have had last wee, i made the decision to leave, but i'm not sure what my next step is.
Jr1127 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jr1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

yes i have. this year so far has been especially bad. the parents are so out of pocket and admin does not back me up at all. going to work fills me with anxiety. after the week i have had last wee, i made the decision to leave, but i'm not sure what my next step is.
Girl you not gone to teach an more!!! But I understand I been in your shoes!! Teaching is getting to be so bad!!! And these principals are scared of lossing their jobs. I was so happy to quit and focus on school!
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:12pm
Clap  Yessss! Get that money 
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:47pm
I wish doctors would get fined for disrespecting nurses. 
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

I agree . I file a report and nothing happens. Bad enough while placing a IV in a PT and they call you the N word. I plan to retire soon .
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

I agree . I file a report and nothing happens. Bad enough while placing a IV in a PT and they call you the N word. I plan to retire soon .

A doctor called you the N word?!!! I swear those reports don't do sh*t. I don't know what I'd do if a doc called me the N word......I'd make a big deal of it.....maybe not to him, but so a superior.
I worked as an ER nurse for a short while and most of the docs were young and sweethearts.
My new floor has older docs and there's a real cool yt nurse that tells me which ones to look out for. I can even see how the nurses get anxious about the doctors yelling or abusing them. I've always prayed this won't happen to me cause I might not know how to act. B/c however it goes down, I feel that doc will never forget me. It's worse since I'm a young nurse, so it might make them easily try to disrespect me.

Edited by MizzAmirah - Nov 05 2012 at 8:12pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>