Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHave any of you dyed your synthetic lacefront?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Lwhite1960 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 7:01pm
Confused And she is the "newbie" who wants ...no demands pics and help. Jesus take the wheel!
Sponsored Links

NeedTresses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by SweetPrincesss SweetPrincesss wrote:

What kind of Censoredquestion is this?How in the HELL can you dye plastic hair?it just AINT happenin.

Ok SweetPissCess, no need to get your drawls in a twist, unlike you the lady asked a question. 

Edited by NeedTresses - Feb 16 2011 at 7:16pm
solo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 7:09pm
Don't think it will work out to well...maybe there are plastic dyes?
Fashion+Diva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:48pm
DAMN Princess...you went hard on ole girl
hennared View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:57pm
I had the same question in my mind a while ago.  It is not impossible.  The problem is, we don't have access to the dyes they use on the plastic hair.  The Rit dye can color the synthetic darker, but the problem is, you would get a flat, one dimensional result... ie, it would look like a doll wig; not the look you are likely to want! 

I guess if one was really really skillful in applying something like Rit dye in a precise controlled way, maybe you could slightly change the color with a mild two tone sort of result if the wig is just too bright.  But I would not try it on something wearable, myself!

AND there is NO SUCH THING as a stupid question.  Only stupid answers LOL

Edited by hennared - Feb 16 2011 at 10:58pm
1timer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 11:32pm
Favored1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 1:32am

Synthetic fibers can not be dyed the same as human hair because it doesn't have a cuticle which is what absorbs the dye. You can however change the color using professional fabic dye that is not available to the public.  What I recommend is staining the hair/fiber using one of two methods, cold method fabric dye or Roux faniful hair rinse.  I have used both methods and have been successful.  DISCLAIMER: I have used these methods many times(I am a master stylist/colorist), but I take no responsibility if this does not work for you.

To dramitically change the color of synthetic hair, purchase Dylon Permanent Fabric Dye in your desired color.  Permanent dyes work better because they hold their colors well; colors are vibrant, colors will not fade or wash away over time. Dylon Permanent dyes are fiber reactive and suitable for all natural fabrics, synthetics and polyester cotton blends.   Lightly shampoo the hair.  DO NOT Condition.  Rinse well and proceed to apply the fabric dye according to package directions.  Submerge your wig in the dye and allow it to soak for 20 - 30 minutes.  Check results...if it is not your desired shade, continue the process until you get what you want. Once the color is achieved,  Rinse well...prepare a vinegar bath using 1/2 gal of water and 1 cup of white vinegar....submerge the wig for 5 minutes.  This will lock in the color and remove the unnatural shine from the hair.....rinse out the vinegar and proceed to condition the hair using fabric softener.  Allow the wig to soak in the softener for 5 - 10 minutes.  Rinse well in cold water and allow to airdry. 

For a softer color change, purchase a bottle of Roux Fanciful Hair Rinse.  This is sold at sally's.  Pour the rinse in a spray bottle.  Shampoo and lightly condition your wig.  Rinse well with cool water.  Towel dry.  Put on rubber gloves...section the hair and spray...saturate the color with your fingers first and then use a comb to evenly distribure.  Continue until all sections are completed.  DO NOT RINSE OUT...Blowdry the hair on warm setting and style as usual. 

Take your time with either method you choose.  Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 1:36am

What kind of Censoredquestion is this?How in the HELL can you dye plastic hair?it just AINT happenin.
I tjought this but was going to say it in a nicer fashion.LOL 

You cant even really "dye" it with spray on haircolor, messes up the texture, making it hard and stuck together. I tried to make a red one blk and it tuirned out smokey gray Confused
lacehairwigs uk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 3:37am

why!
hairtime View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Favored1 Favored1 wrote:

Synthetic fibers can not be dyed the same as human hair because it doesn't have a cuticle which is what absorbs the dye. You can however change the color using professional fabic dye that is not available to the public.  What I recommend is staining the hair/fiber using one of two methods, cold method fabric dye or Roux faniful hair rinse.  I have used both methods and have been successful.  DISCLAIMER: I have used these methods many times(I am a master stylist/colorist), but I take no responsibility if this does not work for you.

To dramitically change the color of synthetic hair, purchase Dylon Permanent Fabric Dye in your desired color.  Permanent dyes work better because they hold their colors well; colors are vibrant, colors will not fade or wash away over time. Dylon Permanent dyes are fiber reactive and suitable for all natural fabrics, synthetics and polyester cotton blends.   Lightly shampoo the hair.  DO NOT Condition.  Rinse well and proceed to apply the fabric dye according to package directions.  Submerge your wig in the dye and allow it to soak for 20 - 30 minutes.  Check results...if it is not your desired shade, continue the process until you get what you want. Once the color is achieved,  Rinse well...prepare a vinegar bath using 1/2 gal of water and 1 cup of white vinegar....submerge the wig for 5 minutes.  This will lock in the color and remove the unnatural shine from the hair.....rinse out the vinegar and proceed to condition the hair using fabric softener.  Allow the wig to soak in the softener for 5 - 10 minutes.  Rinse well in cold water and allow to airdry. 

For a softer color change, purchase a bottle of Roux Fanciful Hair Rinse.  This is sold at sally's.  Pour the rinse in a spray bottle.  Shampoo and lightly condition your wig.  Rinse well with cool water.  Towel dry.  Put on rubber gloves...section the hair and spray...saturate the color with your fingers first and then use a comb to evenly distribure.  Continue until all sections are completed.  DO NOT RINSE OUT...Blowdry the hair on warm setting and style as usual. 

Take your time with either method you choose.  Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you going to try this this weekend. Thank You
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic