Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Twists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Havanna Twists (Open to anyone) & Salons that do
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Havanna Twists (Open to anyone) & Salons that do

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
discreet. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discreet. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Havanna Twists (Open to anyone) & Salons that do
    Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 11:45am
For those of you who have had them done, do you have to straighten you hair or put heat to it before applying twists? I'm interested in getting mine done, but I haven't used heat in my hair for a year now and don't plan to..................................... almost ever. LOL Kidding. But I seriously do not like the salon and I do not like people telling me I "NEED" to put heat or "NEED" this/that/the other billie jean's cousin advice. ~

Thus, I am just very concerned to know if that is a requirement? 

I also just cut my hair into a funky short/long little afro because it was dangerously matted thanks to me being reckless and absolutely lazy. I cut off at least 8 inches in some parts but alas, I know it will grow back again. 

So I am eager to start protective styling and I would like something new :). Havanna twists are lovely and to me look so natural (as do all twists) to a point where I feel like it can fit anyone. It's just very much of a beautiful style of twists. 

Now, for afrigenix and to those of you that have gone: how was your experience? Are they rough with your hair, and do they pull it/comb it roughly? (Because, again, I am not into that and I am sure my sharp mouth will get me into trouble!) Embarrassed

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEWHERE IN NJ/NYC that does them OUTSIDE OF AFRIGENIX SALON? PLEASE HELP! xxx
Sponsored Links

cocoslim83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cocoslim83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 1:38pm
Hey hey!

I did these on myself but I didn't straighten my hair beforehand.  I'm sure any able stylist can do it but you have to be sure that they know how to start twists without braiding first.  Also, Afrigenix uses the hair from fingercomber.com I believe.  My friend went to them and it was Ok, I don't believe she was told to straighten her hair first because she doesn't straighten her hair ever.  She wasn't pleased at first because she thought it looked sparse.  I think the partings were probably a tad too big.  She ended up doing them over herself.
tmrockville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tmrockville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 2:06pm
I think these look really nice but can they be done like a micro size?  I'm looking for something like this but smaller and long.  The Damn Salon has their microtwist but it's way too expensive.  I'm not interested in the regular kinky twist with Marley hair.
JennJenn224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennJenn224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:01pm
Hello,
I just came from Afrogenix and got the Havanna Twists done so here are my thoughts.

Heat is not a requirement. Your hair does not have to be bone straight but I would recommend a light blow out with the blow dryer. You can come to Afrogenix with your hair already washed or they can do it for you and charge you extraWink
I went with my hair already washed .

I will warn you thou the twists are big and heavy, I had some breakage the first time I got them done. Today when I went I told them I wanted them somewhat thinner especially around my hairline. Another person was getting Havanna Twists done and I heard her say the same thing she had some breakage. What I didn't understand is that she got the same big twists anyway. Why get them as a protective style and then have breakageOuch
My experience was good. It took 1 1/2 hours to get them done. I did not have to wait. She was not rough on my hair. When she say me flinch she said I am sorry, I am just tendered head in certain parts of my hair.

FYI  if you want the twists much smaller they do charge you an additional $50.

I hope I was able to help. 

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 7:37pm
Right heat is not required and if you are on a healthy hair journey you should try an avoid using heat. Your hair is already being twisted into a fake fiber, so no sense in adding the extra stress of heat to your hair strands....I have done these and just about every type of twist I never blow dry the hair. The style will still look good and last.....
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by tmrockville tmrockville wrote:

I think these look really nice but can they be done like a micro size?  I'm looking for something like this but smaller and long.  The Damn Salon has their microtwist but it's way too expensive.  I'm not interested in the regular kinky twist with Marley hair.
the way twist look depend on the hair you use... the technique is the same I have gotten all sorts of diffrent looks from
www.eonhair.com the fluffly twist are my fav or if you want something thinner try the spring twist hth
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic