Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 81>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 1:45am
thanks, khivey! will probably try them this weekend.

i'm out of mini twists.  sitting with two big plaits.  going swimming tomorrow so i applied my coconut/olive oil mix to my hair to prep.  when i get back, i will dc with banana/avocado/coconut milk/jbco/eo's.  can't wait! either that or i will do the sheamoisture anti breakage dt.

did i mention that i will NOT be purchasing any products anytime soon?  i have a bss in my house!

i swim again tomorrow!! :-D

Sponsored Links

Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 9:37am
^^^ That DC sounds yummy, LOL
I want to start swimming, lol... are you doing just for exercise or competition? I need to go join a ymca.
runrunrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runrunrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 3:43pm

condition cleansed & dc'ed my mini twists.

now im baggying in moisturizer/oil. 

will wrap & pin to stretch twists back out overnight. 

tomorrow will mark a full 3 weeks (21 days) in these mini twists....after tomorrow, only 2 weeks to go before they come out for a thorough detangling/deshedding, wash & dc.  i think i might pick up some bentonite clay for when i remove them. 

ill have a fresh set of mini twists for when the challenge official starts :) 

taking them out on december 30th and redoing them on december 31st.  cant go into the new year with an old hair style lol. 

Edited by runrunrunner - Dec 15 2012 at 3:50pm
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 5:52pm
[QUOTE=Heavy Rotation]hi, ladies!!!

i went swimming today. :-) prepped my hair with oils and then used a cap.  my hair wasn't soaked when i got out, i did a rinse with water, then came home and shampooed with suave naturals shampoo and dc'ed with sheamoisture dt masque.  just used my homemade leave-in, and applied my homemade gel to make my twists curl...and they are! :-D  can't way to see how it dries.

a huge, big, fat WELCOME to all of the new ladies - assiyra, littlebabybug, shalafbabii!!

@bajan, HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU!!!  can't wait to see your all natural hair!!! such a long transition!  you go, girl!

@assiyra, heeeey, girl!!  welcome back!  how have you been?

@littlebabybug, do your coils cause breakage at all? i always want to do these, but it seems like it would break my hair winding it around the comb like that or are those different? and then i imagine the detangling...

Hi Heavy Rotation! It feels great to have inspired someone to try finger coils. i feel like an alien being the only one i've like ever seen wear them lol They're an AMAZING style. the best way i can answer the question is probably with pictures of my hair's health. i don't know if you're familiar with my flat iron press post in the pressing forum from last month but here's a picture of it: 

these pictures show how healthy my hair and ends were after five straight months of alternating between primarily finger coils and occassionally twists which i would redo after about 3-4 days. I kept heat off it for 5 months, but i LOVED finger coils. they look like this on me: 
to answer the breakage question directly, i would average no more than 5 broken strands (that i could see over the sink) with strict finger detangling (i don't do combs anymore. and i attribute this to the outstanding health of my ends. my hair's never been this healthy before in my life) and that only on wash day. it would take about one and a half hours to detangle and coil my hair. I think most people use combs to finger coil, but i do the MahoganyCurls (YT) method and use only my finger by wrapping my hair around it and pulling through, using lots of conditioner to give the needed slip. 
The style lasts for a long time on its own, but since i keep my hands in my hair Embarrassed it only lasts me about 3-4 days before it starts getting dry and dull. If you don't touch it at all, then it'll hold for at least a week, but MahoganyCurls keeps hers in for a month, if i recall correctly. By the time i flat ironed my hair from the earlier pics you see here, i had almost NO split ends. i'm surprised that more people don't try finger coiling, but i'm sold! Big smile
When i first started my finger coil reggie, my hair was about CBL. 5 months later it was 10 inches at pretty much APL. 
So very minimal breakage.

about the detangling, it's the same detangling as it is for any other style, except if you consistently do finger coils and you don't tangle your hair by playing in it or roughing up your crown area (which for me is the most tangle, dry and knot-prone area on my head) then it actually should even improve your detangle time and make it much easier since it unifies your curls to make them clump. it made detangling less of a chore for me the more routinely i did it. I would define as i detangled, which also made it go faster. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 5:59pm
curly fro 4 days old. starting length: Neck have decided upon finger coils as my protective style. coils keep my hair fairly moisturized and the shrinking effect keeps my ends compacted and protected! :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

hi, ladies!

i was motivated by littlebabybug to try coiling my hair.  so, i took down one of my twists and coiled it with my finger...i basically twisted it (one strand) and then coiled the rest of it. i used an all natural gel - herbal soothing curl defining gel by koils by nature.  the coil is still there and it looks super shiny and is super soft. :-)  i am thinking of doing my whole head in bigger coils when i wash my hair tomorrow...just take down the twists and change them into coils (like 3/4 twists would make one coil).  i am swimming tomorrow and will need to wash my hair after....i have to take down my twists because they are on their last leg and we have a party to attend on friday. decisions, decisions!  stay tuned!

@mskraizy, i'm with you girl!  my twists STAY in a bun.  

@cherry, i'm glad it worked!

@iskalay - WELCOME! can't wait to see your hair accessories! i love accessories (clips, combs, cute head bands).
i forgot to mention that i think it's so cool that you're going swimming in DECEMBER!!! wicked awesome! when i was younger and involved in swimming my grandma would slather my hair in cheapy condish and rinse it out after i'd finished swimming. i was one of those kids that didn't like to wear swim caps, so this was her way of compromise. maybe if she'd bought me a cuter swim cap it wouldn't have been an issue LOL
anyway, my hair flourished with her combatting the chlorine in this manner. so cool that your'e not letting the pool scare you- lots of women still refuse to dip in the pool because of their hair, so that's quite cool! 
and yeah, finger coiling is safer than comb coiling. the bigger they are the cuter they look to me, but i gotta say that the smaller they are, the longer lasting hold they have in my experience. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by runrunrunner runrunrunner wrote:

tomorrow will mark a full 3 weeks (21 days) in these mini twists....after tomorrow, only 2 weeks to go before they come out for a thorough detangling/deshedding, wash & dc.  i think i might pick up some bentonite clay for when i remove them. 

taking them out on december 30th and redoing them on december 31st.  cant go into the new year with an old hair style lol. 

i could only DREAM of keeping twists in for this long. every time i try i fail with a quickness. how do you and others do it? tell me your secrets. my scalp be killin me alive!!! i actually posted a topic on this in the twists section but no one answered me :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runrunrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

i could only DREAM of keeping twists in for this long. every time i try i fail with a quickness. how do you and others do it? tell me your secrets. my scalp be killin me alive!!! i actually posted a topic on this in the twists section but no one answered me :(

i only recently learned some tricks that helped.

i cant keep larger twists in for a long time...those only last a week at best, but mini twists usually last much longer for me. 

i reduce my washes to once a week when in the mini twists (whereas otherwise i wash [conditioner only] 3 to 5 times a week)

on wash days, i do the whole process with my twists in braided sections.

i dry my hair under the hooded dryer about 80ish% and then i wrap and pin my twists (same kind of wrapping relaxed women do). 

it's been working pretty well for me so far.  my hair is starting to look a bit old, but not horrible enough for me to want to take them out early...which is a good thing. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:30pm

Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

i only recently learned some tricks that helped.

i cant keep larger twists in for a long time...those only last a week at best, but mini twists usually last much longer for me. 

i reduce my washes to once a week when in the mini twists (whereas otherwise i wash [conditioner only] 3 to 5 times a week)

on wash days, i do the whole process with my twists in braided sections.

i dry my hair under the hooded dryer about 80ish% and then i wrap and pin my twists (same kind of wrapping relaxed women do). 

it's been working pretty well for me so far.  my hair is starting to look a bit old, but not horrible enough for me to want to take them out early...which is a good thing. 

you dont experience higher incidence of tangling with washing in twists, as well as mild unraveling? this is my issue with washing in twists, which is why i don't wash them and consequently don't leave them in as long. i can go a week without washing but oftentimes my roots will get matted in the interim, necessitating an early takedown. :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runrunrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 10:19pm

i definitely havent been getting AS MUCH unraveling with my twists as i did when i washed them loose.  the braids help keep them together a bit more. 

ive had a few unravels, but not as many as ive had in the past. 

i try to braid the sections pretty tightly

i might even consider starting to put a band or something at the roots & ends to further help reduce unraveling...dunno if it'll work...but maybe.  the only thing i worry about with that is my hair getting stuck in it! 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 81>