Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 82>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:40am
[QUOTE=Heavy Rotation]
Hi, ladies!  Welcome!!!

@cherry89 - i love jbco!  it's like the GOAT oil for me.  which Vo5 conditioners do you love?  I am trying to use them to detangle because they are so cheap, but want to see which might have the most slip.  the ones i used sort of felt like water and were not enough to detangle w/.

[/QUOTE

I have the regular castor oil, I haven't used the jbco. This is actually my first time really using castor oil and it has been the bomb! ( been using on my eyelashes and brows and it has done wonders..lol) I heard jbco was really good too, but more expensive.  I also love the milkshake Vo5, those are the best to me I love using the strawberry milkshake kind, but they are always out everywhere I go, lol. So I usually get the one of the other flavors.. I like the fact that they are cheap, and with my co-washing habit, it fits right into my budget. As far as the detangle conditioner, Ors Replenishing pack is REALLY GOOD, I think its like a $1 for 1 application (pack) in the beauty stores. I usually use it when I relax, because it comes in the Ors relaxer box. But when I do use it, my hair detangles soooo easily, and is so soft and moist afterwards!
Sponsored Links

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

welcome, khivey!  i am always so impressed with the ladies who rock box braids on their own hair.  how long does it take to put them in and how long to take down? they are so cute, but i barely have the time needed to put in mini twists!

And ladies, remember that we each need a starting pic to mark where we are in the challenge.  i doubt my length will change much from the pic between now and jan so i am going to use the pic above as mine.   

Thanks!
In the beginning, I was making them small and it took me about 2 hours or so. To take them down around the same time depending. After about 5 months, I decided to make them bigger..so they are medium sized and they take me just under an hour to do and the take down is quicker as well.
I am able to throw some bobby pins in them for a cute updo if I want to make them fancy..otherwise I rock them in a ponytail or bun.

I will post a pic of where I am before January:)
CiaNichole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CiaNichole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 12:45pm

Hi, ladies!  Welcome!!!

I tried to edit my post to put your names in as participants, but, alas, the new BHM be acKin' funny!  So, I will keep tally in a separate post and then when Jan 1 rolls around, I will put names on a list and we will use that as our participant list.  

@cherry89 - i love jbco!  it's like the GOAT oil for me.  which Vo5 conditioners do you love?  I am trying to use them to detangle because they are so cheap, but want to see which might have the most slip.  the ones i used sort of felt like water and were not enough to detangle w/.

@bajanbklyngirl - 29 months!?  congrats!  that is a looong transition.  transitioners ruuuule! :-)  do you wear your hair in ps's a lot?  i have found that wearing my hair in twists cut down dramatically on my ssk's.  keep us posted on your bc!

@cianichole - you and i have the same goal, are both natural, and have the same starting length so i am going to enjoy catching up on your protective styles too!  when did you go natural?  and which argan oil do you use? i want to try the pure oil, but do not know where to get it!

@kunoichinindroid - i am protein sensitive too.  i use a light protein spray after each weekly wash (the apogee green tea spray).  i think it works well.  what are the proportions in your moisturizing spritz?  i am in the process of creating a new one.

Let's get it, ladies!! 

I was natural all my life (in the sense tht i nvr  had a relaxer) but i had my hair consistently done by a professional. I stopped going to the salon on May 29 2012. So i can say thats when i started my healthy hair journey. It's been FULL of set backs but 6 months later and i finally think i got it right :) I use the one n only argan oil to seal my leave ins and i tell u it has worked miracles on my hair, i even tested to see if it was the argan oil keeping my hair so soft and moisturized by trying different oils and no oils and i tell you, it defiantly was the agan oil, i dnt know to much about pure argan but i would love to get my hands on some  

I will be posting my starting pic mid december
BaddieMiyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaddieMiyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 6:53pm
Hair Goal for June, 2013: APL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): I went natural Oct 2009 then cut my hair again because I liked the low caesar look, so I've been Natural and growing since  Jan 2010, current length is A Lil below Collar Bone.
PS of Choice: Full Head Weaves
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Change weave 4 to 6 weeks, apply JBCO & Coconut oil for moisture, No Heat. No Trim. Wash and deep condition when I change weaves. I will also let my hair rest for a week in between styles. 
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Dryness and Retaining length
Favorite Product: Shea moisture everything lol, JBCO & Coconut oil.

I'm joining because I have slow growing hair so I'm hoping this will help me not stress over growth (Out of sight out of mind) And also I just didn't know what to do with my hair at this length, style wise so why not protective style. Good Luck Ladies!

Edited by BaddieMiyn - Nov 23 2012 at 7:05pm
bajanbklyngirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajanbklyngirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:14pm

@bajanbklyngirl - 1. 29 months!?  congrats!  that is a looong transition.  transitioners ruuuule! :-)  2. do you wear your hair in ps's a lot?  3. i have found that wearing my hair in twists cut down dramatically on my ssk's.  4. keep us posted on your bc!

1. Yeah, sometimes I can't believe that I have been transitioning this long, lol.

2. I almost always wear my hair in buns and I bantu my hair every night.

3. Thanks, I'll def. try that

4. Will do
CiaNichole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CiaNichole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by BaddieMiyn BaddieMiyn wrote:

Hair Goal for June, 2013: APL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): I went natural Oct 2009 then cut my hair again because I liked the low caesar look, so I've been Natural and growing since  Jan 2010, current length is A Lil below Collar Bone.
PS of Choice: Full Head Weaves
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Change weave 4 to 6 weeks, apply JBCO & Coconut oil for moisture, No Heat. No Trim. Wash and deep condition when I change weaves. I will also let my hair rest for a week in between styles. 
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Dryness and Retaining length
Favorite Product: Shea moisture everything lol, JBCO & Coconut oil.

I'm joining because I have slow growing hair so I'm hoping this will help me not stress over growth (Out of sight out of mind) And also I just didn't know what to do with my hair at this length, style wise so why not protective style. Good Luck Ladies!

YES, out of sight out of mind is true. when i wear my protective styles i don't focus so much on length but health, and by the time i take my hair down it has grown so much i can barely believe it.  But when i wear my hair out or straight, i think i check it's length everyday lol

Btw, great progress, i love to see people who grew there hair out from twa's. it inspires me :)
BaddieMiyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaddieMiyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by CiaNichole CiaNichole wrote:

Originally posted by BaddieMiyn BaddieMiyn wrote:

YES, out of sight out of mind is true. when i wear my protective styles i don't focus so much on length but health, and by the time i take my hair down it has grown so much i can barely believe it.  But when i wear my hair out or straight, i think i check it's length everyday lol

Btw, great progress, i love to see people who grew there hair out from twa's. it inspires me :)

Thanx I was feeling down about my progress because I see so many ppl with so much growth. I hope this protective style challenge works for me.

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:13am
hi, ladies!  happy sunday!  :-)  thanks for answering all of my questions!

i am still here in my small twists - i plan on keeping them in for about a month.  i seriously don't know what i would do without these things.  i am going to wash today...i am going to try my normal wash day routine on these twists and see what happens....hopefully i don't end up in FrizzVille!  wish me luck!

@cherry - i use it on my eyebrows too!  i def see a diff.

@cia - ah, you are def selling me on the argan oil!

@baddie - welcome!  i see a LOT of growth in those pics!  i think pictures say so much.  keeping a hair journey in pics is such a good idea.
runrunrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runrunrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 4:22pm

im in again!  i was in the last challenge, but since i got sick...i ended up falling off, but this time...i.will.KICK.butt! haha 

im actually putting mini twists in my hair right now.  i'll post pictures in a couple of weeks when these come out! 

Hair Goal for June, 2013:    i have decided that i dont want to set any goals other than being consistent in my regimen and being more careful with my hair. 
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed):  back = a little past apl.  natural haired.
PS of Choice: twists and the every once in a while braid set
Detailed Regimen while in PS: condition wash twice a week, 1 regular condition wash and 1 with a dc, protein once or twice a week (hydrolyzed keratin spray before moisturizing after wash), wear hair with ends up and away most of the time, moisturize & seal using LOC method w/ whatever conditioner/leave-in/moisturizer i choose to use & oils/shea moisture head-to-toe baby ointment.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment:  hmmm, probably ssks and my own impatience
Favorite Product:  i dunno...
mskraizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskraizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:42pm
Heavy, I'm so in this challenge! I'm trying to get my hair good and healthy and long by my fifth nappyversary in April! =)

Hair Goal for June, 2013:
Pushing for MBL with thicker, healthier ends
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Natural
PS of Choice: I'm gonna be doing a lot of alternating, but I'm gonna try to keep it between marley twists, yarn braids, and bunned twist sets.
Detailed Regimen while in PS: mist with water and oil//massage scalp daily, wash and deep condition weekly (diluted)....I think that's it.

When wearing loose hair (or like my hair in twists), same regimen but I deep condition first, detangle, then shampoo in twists, moisturize and seal and set my hair in twists. Basically. Then every night (or every other night), I mist with water, coat in garnier fructis sleek & shine leave in, then seal and massage my scalp with oil.

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: My freakin ENDS! But they're getting better, slowly but surely.
Favorite Product: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave In. I use this stuff for EVERYTHING!

Be back with a pic later. ♥

Edited by mskraizy - Nov 25 2012 at 9:44pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon