Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 82>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
    Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:46pm
Hi, Ladies!

This challenge is the second part of the HARDCore protective style challenge that ended in May.  Those of us who participated in that challenge retained a lot of length, met our goals, had fun getting to know each other and participating in the challenge, and we want to do it again.

Okay, let me warn you again: this challenge is not for the faint of heart.  Wink  

This is a challenge for those who will wear Protective Styles from 
January 1 to June 30, 2013.  For this Challenge, "Protective Styles" mean twists, braids, wigs, or weaves....basically, your hair must be twisted or braided (underneath).  You can also do buns, but you cannot wear gelled buns or buns with "tight" bands (that pull on your edges) the entire time you are bunning during the challenge.

This is a challenge for those with tons of discipline (or who want to develop it) when it comes to their hair in order to grow it to longer lengths!

I'm trying to hit MBL by August, 2013 so I need to go hardcore on this one. Ouch

Here are the Rules for this Challenge:

1. You must check in to this Challenge at least once per week. 
2. You must post pics of your progress, Protective Style, or just to do show and tell, at least once per month.
3. When changing Protective Styles on your own hair, you are allowed 3-4 days of wearing your hair "out," but your hair must be in an updo/high pony/bun style at least 2 of those days.  Those wearing extensions can have a longer time between installs, but must wear their hair in an updo/high pony/bun style at least 3/4 of the time that their own hair is out.
4. You cannot comb your own hair more than twice per week.
5. You must develop/have a moisturizing regimen for your hair while in the PS.
6. You cannot trim your hair, unless you have a reason (e.g., split or weathered ends).
7. You cannot use direct heat more than 4 times during the Challenge.
**8. You must encourage the other participants in the challenge.  We're all in it to win it.** Smile

If you do not comply with the above...you will get the boot. Embarrassed

Told you this was hardcore! LOL

To join, please give the following information and upload your starting pic (BEFORE JANUARY 1):

Hair Goal for June, 2013:
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed):
PS of Choice:
Detailed Regimen while in PS:
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment:
Favorite Product:

To make this Challenge really meaningful, I think that we should limit the participants to ~15.  Max of~20.

Okay, so, who is with me for this Challenge? Big smile
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:48pm
I am so excited to do this challenge again, ladies!  

Post that info!  I am going to post mine later today/tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:57am
AM IM!! Yay, Ive been waiting for someone to start another Protective challenge. Thats actually what Ive been wanting to do.. I was going to do it for a year, but 6 months sounds more realistic!!

Hair Goal for June, 2013: WSL
Current Length and State of Hair: Relaxed
PS of Choice: Buns, buns, and more buns!! (99.99% Wet Buns)
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Lots of cowashing every 2-3 days, deep condition once a week, moisturize and seal daily.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: dryness
Favorite Product: Castor Oil/Sulfur/Vo5 Cheapies
bajanbklyngirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajanbklyngirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:52am
I really needed this challenge

Hair Goal for June, 2013:
Natural hair full SL fully stretched
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Currently transitioning but will be natural by the start of the challenge
PS of Choice: Buns, Bantu Knots
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Deep condition once a week, moisturize daily; clarify & protein treatment once a month
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: SSK's but I think I'm learning to live with them
Favorite Product: Don't really have one, I guess I will have a better answer to when my natural hair tells me
CiaNichole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CiaNichole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 5:45pm
Im excited for this challenge

Hair Goal for June, 2013: midback
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): grazing bra strap and natural
PS of Choice: twist, flat twist, and buns
Detailed Regimen while in PS: mosturize with a leave in every morning and night. cowash once a week shampoo once a month
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: breakage
Favorite Product: anything with shea butter or argan oil
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 3:00am
YES YES YES!!! I'm so ready for a challenge like this. I'm getting a touch up this weekend and braiding my hair in December. SIGN ME UP!!! Been waiting for something like this!

Hair Goal for June 2013: BSL
Current length and state of hair: Relaxed SL or CBL (I have lots of new growth)
PS of choice: Box braids with synthetic hair, buns
Detailed regimen: Moisturize daily with water, glycerin, castor oil and ACV spritz, wash hair once a week, deep condition every 2 weeks, apply castor oil to scalp twice a week, apply castor oil to edges daily or every 2 days.
Biggest hair issue ATM: Protein sensitivity
Favorite product: None :(
*Growth aids: Castor oil, Valupak HSN vitamins, B-complex

*I don't use growth aids but I want to try and get as much growth as I can these next months. Putting them up there will remind me to be on top of my game. I hope nobody minds \(^w^)/
I'll add my pic after I retouch my hair

Edited by KunoichiNindroid - Nov 23 2012 at 3:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 7:24am
Hi, ladies!  Welcome!!!

I tried to edit my post to put your names in as participants, but, alas, the new BHM be acKin' funny!  So, I will keep tally in a separate post and then when Jan 1 rolls around, I will put names on a list and we will use that as our participant list.  

@cherry89 - i love jbco!  it's like the GOAT oil for me.  which Vo5 conditioners do you love?  I am trying to use them to detangle because they are so cheap, but want to see which might have the most slip.  the ones i used sort of felt like water and were not enough to detangle w/.

@bajanbklyngirl - 29 months!?  congrats!  that is a looong transition.  transitioners ruuuule! :-)  do you wear your hair in ps's a lot?  i have found that wearing my hair in twists cut down dramatically on my ssk's.  keep us posted on your bc!

@cianichole - you and i have the same goal, are both natural, and have the same starting length so i am going to enjoy catching up on your protective styles too!  when did you go natural?  and which argan oil do you use? i want to try the pure oil, but do not know where to get it!

@kunoichinindroid - i am protein sensitive too.  i use a light protein spray after each weekly wash (the apogee green tea spray).  i think it works well.  what are the proportions in your moisturizing spritz?  i am in the process of creating a new one.

Let's get it, ladies!! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 8:17am
Hair Goal for June, 2013: Grazing MBL 
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Natural; ~BSL 
PS of Choice: small, mini, and medium size twists
Detailed Regimen while in PS: 
1. Cleanse (Weekly)
steam with pre-poo of coconut/olive oil blend
shampoo with my homemade poo (castile soap, water, jbco, glycerin, avg, EOs) or sheamoisture shampoos
"clarify" with bent clay mix every 1-2 months
2. Condition (After each Cleanse)
DC weekly w/ one of the following: sheamoisture dt masque, as i am hydration elation dc, aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, or homemade dc.
3. Moisturize
spritz with aphogee protein restructurizing green tea spray after each Cleanse
use darcy botanicals, my homemade spritz (water, glycerin, EOs, JBCO, avg, lime juice), or sheamoisture dt masque as a leave in after each Cleanse
Twist with mix of my homemade butter (shea and mango butters, JBCO, jojoba EOs, vit. e) or jc's nourish and shine and jbco.

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: minimizing frizz when doing all of the above since i keep these twists in for about 1 month at a time.
Favorite Product: JBCO...and the as i am dc is slowly creeping up!

Here is my starting pic: 

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 8:36am
Count me in. I've been doing this on my own since March 2012 by wearing my own hair in box braids. I re-braid it every 3 weeks. It would be nice to be a part of a challenge as I near one year in a consistent protective style (will be the longest for me).

Ok, so
Hair Goal for June, 2013: Full BSL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): SBL and natural
PS of Choice: box braids (no extensions)
Detailed Regimen while in PS: while in braids: co-wash 1c a week, oil scalp with olive oil, refresh my scalp with a cucumber facial toner after gym workouts, shampoo the second week having my braids in and oil scalp with olive oil.
After 3rd week: Take braids down, wash, deep condition while sitting under hood dryer, oil scalp
Rebraid same day
Repeat every 3 weeks.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: my hair grows slow
Favorite Product: cucumber facial toner for my scalp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:23am
welcome, khivey!  i am always so impressed with the ladies who rock box braids on their own hair.  how long does it take to put them in and how long to take down? they are so cute, but i barely have the time needed to put in mini twists!

And ladies, remember that we each need a starting pic to mark where we are in the challenge.  i doubt my length will change much from the pic between now and jan so i am going to use the pic above as mine.   
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 82>