Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 81>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nubiennze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubiennze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 2:50pm
Appreciate the shout outs, but those were 902sexxi's pics I posted upthread, not mine. My hair wishes there were that much of it. LOL

I've actually been losing volume lately, partially because I skipped my March trim, so raggedy ends have been causing a lot of tangling and breakage, especially at the nape. (Never mind that if I'd gone ahead and installed some sort of braids by now to keep it stretched, this could've been at least partially avoided. Unhappy)

More than that, though, something is off in the way of my protein-moisture balance. Knowing my hair (not to mention my bad hair habits in this trying finals season) I'm inclined to blame moisture, but I'm not entirely sure. My hair has never felt this completely brittle and fragile, snapping as soon as I touch it. 

I've essentially been doing the same thing I've always done--mini-buns, baggying, and wigging--only with longer intervals between washes recently due to multiple exams. Part of me wishes I'd just paid someone to do a trim and some box braids two months ago, but since I'll be done after this Wednesday, I'm going to give my hair a nice, long spa weekend. Henna, rollerset, trim, and (finally!) box braids.

Thankfully I'll also be able to focus on de-stressing, establishing a regular sleep schedule, and eating much, much better than I have been, which I think may be the real root of the problem since my skin, weight, and energy level have suffered as well. (Funny you ladies mentioned iron deficiencies; I just started taking my prenatal vitamin again, so hopefully this will help my hair turn around as well.) This school thing is determined to be the death of me. LOL

At any rate, as much as I wanted to do some elaborate birthday hair (it's tomorrow Party), the very thought of spending time braiding that could be spent studying has been giving me ulcers this weekend, lol. The current plan is to just cornrow the front and wear it up in a Marley braid bun this week. I'll post pics when (if?) I finish.
Sponsored Links

mskraizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskraizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 9:02pm
@NayNay you're making me wanna get some in, but I actually wanna try doing yarn twists. And yeah, I'm iron deficient too. I've actually laid off of them, I need to get back on mine as well.

@Heavy, yes! I'm not the only one! Everyone seems to be talking about finger detangling and how much better it is and how much healthier, but I just don't have the patience...or time...for that. At least not to do it ALL the time. But I love how it leaves my hair feeling alot thicker which is why I've settled down to using my comb once a week and that's IT. I really don't manipulate my hair too much after that but when I do, I must finger detangle it.

@Nubiennze, well I'm sure your hair is still gorgeous anyway and happy early b-day! lol I feel you on the school thing, it's throwing my everything off. lol Nelly seems to be the only person surviving since I don't really do much to her but moisturize and for the most part try and keep her protected.

I put in some medium twists using Camille Rose's Almond Jai Twisting BUtter which I really like so far. I was gonna wear a twistout (gasp!) for a few days and then jump into some yarn twists for the month of May. Me and Yarn have been best friends lately! It's got me wanting to get back to crocheting for some reason.
nubiennze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubiennze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 10:41pm
^^ Thanks mskraizy! Big smile Lol @ crocheting...I can't do that or yarn braids unfortunately. My hair is soo fragile and dryness-prone that it starts snapping as soon as the yarn touches it. It did really well with the kanekalon back in the day, though, so between that and keeping it moisturized as you mentioned, all should be well. Thumbs Up

I'm definitely a little more optimistic now that I've washed and DC'ed...I also snipped off some of the grungier ends and SSKs in the nape and around my edges. After that I pre-poo'ed under the heat cap with my mango butter mix + SM Purification Masque w/ avocado, honey, and egg. Then I washed and steamed for 20 minutes or so w/ my cassia oil mix + KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask. When I say my hair feels like BUTTA...

That said, I think I'm going to lay off the baggying and overnight DC's. I have the worst chafing on the back of my neck and the edges of my ears from the cap. It was stinging like the dickens when I got out of the shower. Cry At this point I don't think either is benefiting my hair enough to justify ugly-fying my skin; my best DC's (including the one tonight) have been rinsed immediately after steaming. I'm just going to go back to wetting and moisturizing daily (my texturized hair really thrived this way). I may still dry baggy overnight (with grocery/produce bags--nothing with evil elastic bands!), but not constantly/under wigs anymore.

Y'all pray my strength that I at least band/thread this hair before I fall asleep so I don't end up having to comb through a matted bush in the morning. LOL
902sexxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 902sexxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 1:42am
These braids don't feel so heavy no mo😅, I guess my neck and head got used to the weight. Lesson learned, I'll never get braids this big again! Now it's smooth sailing for 7 more weeks. Still spraying with a moisturizer ever day but I won't be washing regularly. I'll be using a no rinse shampoo.
nubiennze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubiennze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 1:49pm
^^ @902sexxi  I'm about to install my braids, but I'm undecided as to how "jumbo" I want them to be...I could use a visual to see how big is too big!

Speaking of braiding, I definitely haven't done so as of yet, lol. I banded overnight Sunday, then African threaded last night (took ALL day and night to figure out how to get the stupid string to stay put...definitely a learning curve associated with this method). My hair feels pretty decent--well-stretched, supple, and moisturized. It also helped that I clipped away a lot of bad ends while threading.

I actually just started to install the cornrows, but I'm really meticulous and don't feel like rushing just to end up looking sloppy about the head. I'll wear a puff or bun tomorrow so I can take my time on the box braids after finals.
Catrice26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catrice26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 11:11pm
It has been forever since I have posted, finally finished up the school year.

I got bored with my afro wigs so I decided to were two strand twist for a while. I've been doing my usual, Cowashing weekly, shampooing monthly, conditioning, and using glycerin based products for moisturizing. But I have decided incorporate cones and sulfates in my regimen more. Cones make my detangling much easier, with less breakage and sulfates don't dry my hair out now that i use glycerin products all the time

sorry about the big pic

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 11:09pm
So I rocked my hair in different styles over the last week and a half,  but kept it protected nonetheless. This weekend it will go back to the braids to ride out the rest of this challenge. I can't believe it is almost June! :) 
AmberColour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberColour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 12:11am
I'm finally updating with pix..
I got a FLW. Smile
I'm liking it so far...
I can even wear it up when need be.

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 8:01pm
Congratulations Amber!! Looks GREAT !! Did you put a silicon scar sheet under the lace at the part? See the technique by Sexibeach in the LF section.

Edited by LadyAradia - May 12 2013 at 9:43pm
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:17pm
@catrice, big heart your twists!

@amber, big heart that wig

i have been cowashing and leaving aussie moist in my hair for the past two days. i have been doing wash and go's and loving it. will upload a pic when i get a chance.  my kinks were popping. will definitely do a wash and go challenge when it gets warmer.

hope everyone is hanging in there!!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System