Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 81>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 1:00am
Ms Kraizy, what are you doing to your hair to cause so much damage to your ends? 
Do you use heat a lot? 
I only trim once per year and I only need to dust because my ends are in good shape. I don't use direct heat but once per year. I do keep my hair in protective styles and very moisturized. 
Awwwww...I hope you stick with the challenge, maybe for the last three months you can go hard in the paint and retain your length and recover what you had to trim off. 
Pretty twists btw! 
Sponsored Links

shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 12:07pm
I just took out my sew in. It could've lasted longer but I missed FroEsha. I oil rinsed as a preepoo for about an hour because it felt dry. I had to detangle before the wash and I did a light dust on each of the 8-12 twists I had in my head. I put on a straight u part wig last night and I hate it. I think I will try a set of mini twists since I didn't sew the wig on... Either that or medium twists with a faux twist bun. Just for the week because ill be putting on a Afro kinky curly wig that will last me until the end of the school year hopefully. It's kinda old but I'm not buying new hair or damaging mine any further. The sew in was all good bc of low manipulation so I retained length but I'm not so worried about the length because my ends are see thru so I'm more focused on trimming them gradually while finding a good moisturizing regimen.
bizchick86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bizchick86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 12:13pm
Been rocking a lace front to avoid any direct heat. Iam *officially* a lace front fan! I just loove that I barely manipulate my hair!! I think I'll keep this as a PS for-e-ver.

My natural hair is continuing to retain length. This is the longest my hair has evvver been! woop woop! Lightly detangled last night, letting it breath today before I braid it back up and put the LF back on.

Pic of my hair as of March 2013 on the top, lace front with *no* hair put on bottom

mskraizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskraizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

Ms Kraizy, what are you doing to your hair to cause so much damage to your ends? 
Do you use heat a lot? 
I only trim once per year and I only need to dust because my ends are in good shape. I don't use direct heat but once per year. I do keep my hair in protective styles and very moisturized. 
Awwwww...I hope you stick with the challenge, maybe for the last three months you can go hard in the paint and retain your length and recover what you had to trim off. 
Pretty twists btw! 

It wasn't any physical damage it was just the usual wear and tear damage that didn't get trimmed off enough. My ends weren't splitting or anything, they were just very thinned, very frayed and dry and they had to go. My regimen kinda fell off for a year and my hair suffered a bit. I should've trimmed when I only had a bit to cut but I was determined to be a "once a year" trimmer....don't ask why cause I don't know why that meant so much to me.

Over the years, my ends gradually became rougher and rougher and I was starting to think that's how my hair was but ya know, you will know when your hair just isn't how it used to be. So then trimming became my best friend again. I think all in all, to get my ends back to this health, I've taken off about two and a half inches gradually. I'm learning what works for my hair and for me and my satisfaction, I LOVE big, juicy, and thick ends. My ends were average, it really wasn't anything WRONG with them, I honestly didn't have to do this trim cause they were actually in good health. But they were soooooo thinned...to me. And I LOVE thick and juicy ends and I know my hair can do that! This trim was a preference trim I guess, it wasn't really necessary, but it was for me because I want my hair to be at optimum health.

I hope in all that ramble you got an answer!
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 4:50pm
hi, ladies! happy sunday!  so, this is week 2 of the tightly curly method.  so far, everything is going well. i am leaving conditioner in my hair and figuring out the ones that work well for me.  giovanni triple threat has been so-so, but renpure moisturizing conditioner worked well and so did the v05 tea therapy (surprisingly).  i ran out of renpure so i will try purabodynaturals dc and see how that works out.  and, in related news, today i went to a soap making class and made a wonderful, all natural soap for my body and hair!  i am really loving this consolidation thing.

@catrice, pretty hair!

@902, i know that well-steamed hair feeling.  whew!

@mskraizy, i really hope that you stay in the challenge!  i think you should ps until the weather gets better (unless it is "better" right now where you are?) and then you can show off your hair with abandon! :-D  also, remember that you can wear your hair out sometimes during the challenge, just not the majority of the time so you can get your fill of the "out" styles <---can you tell that i am being selfish and want you to stay in the challenge? :-) 

@bizchick, luvn your hair and congrats on reaching this length for the first time ever!!  that is a huuuge deal!!
mskraizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskraizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 6:03pm

So I think back in serious love with Nelly again! She's so coily and bouncy and while trying to pull all my twists back into a ponytail, my edges kept springing out, they wouldn't stay at all! My twists look so full and thick all the way to the tips! THIS is what I was aiming for! I missed super healthy Nelly! I originally wasn't gonna do them that big but I was tired of twisting, so some of them are mini and the other are like medium-sized. I'm just gonna be bunning them anyways.

And yeah Heavy, it's getting pretty warm down here but every other day it is unpredictably cold, that's why I was gonna try and wait out March, but I may go ahead and finish out this challenge til June. I really love the way my twists look again and may be wearing them more often, and I wanna wear my yarn braids again too and this IS the perfect oppurtunity to keep my ends healthy for another....4 months! So yeah, I'll stay!

Okay you guys, I'm done rambling. I'll get off the soapbox now.

@Heavy, I remember reading about the Tightly Curly Method. She has GORGEOUS hair! Awwww, Heavy, you're making me REALLY wanna take these twists down now. How are you doing it in twists?

Edited by mskraizy - Mar 03 2013 at 6:19pm
s007rrt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s007rrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 7:47pm
@littlebabybug
So sorry for the late reply. I do not know how to braid at all and I mean at all!Embarrassed

* I had the Senegalese twists out for about a week. I was very sad about my hair, I don't know what's going on with it at all. So confusedCry. My texture has changed, stays dry, my puff just looks lousy and blah. I did a messy Henna treatment for the first time ever, switched hair products yet again and rushed the braids back in.

iskalay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iskalay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2013 at 9:18pm
Update: I took down my flat twists (they lasted 2 weeks exactly) Thumbs Up

Although I never re-moisturized at all...my hair still feels pretty good. I finger detangled and  threw in some med/lrg twists. I will probably take down the twists and bun in the AM.
natural essence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 9:43pm
Ms kraizy,

I love how juicy your twists are!!
I have chaged things up a bit as I was beginning to get bored with wig wearing and opted to have a cornrow/kinky twist updo.  I also purchased AO swimmers shamppo and conditioner as I found it on clearance for 6 bucks each!!  I can wait to try this after my swimming lessons.. don't ask me how I am going to protect this style from getting wet....here is my attempt at posting a pic and please excuse it if it is huge:

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2013 at 11:55pm
hi, ladies!  hope everyone is well.

so, the shescentit dc worked fine being left in my hair, but i think that it may have flaked a bit.  i found a lot of white specks in my hair towards the end of the day today.  my curlies on the ends of my twists are popping though!  will refresh with v05 conditioner and some water tomorrow morning, if necessary.

@mskraizy, yaaaay!!! very happy that you are staying in the challenge. your twists look so thick and scrumptious!

@s007, did you try doing a moisturizing dc?  do you think that would help at all?

@natural essence, i seriously adore your hairstyle!  it is so creative and stylish!  let me know how the ao shampoo feels on your hair.

here is how i have been wearing my hair:

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 81>