Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 82>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 4:38am
Awwwww...washed and freshly braided. I'm readySmile
Sponsored Links

KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 4:48am
Wow. I love how this challenge is so alive! Here's this weeks update. I tweaked my sulfur grease mixture and added coconut oil to it. Made it less runny and now it controls my itchy scalp. I'm so proud of myself for making something that works the way I want it to. I'll never have to buy scalp oil again! Also, I can't tell if my braids are just loosening up or if there's actual growth but I've only been using this stuff for like a week.
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:31pm
hi, ladies!  happy friday!! any cool plans for the weekend?  you know me - just swimming tomorrow and then brunch plans on sunday.  team brunch!! :-)  my hair is in medium twists. i finally embraced (even though i knew this) the fact that my hair thrives in twists. i will be doing them from now until the end of the challenge...with a couple days of rest in between installs.  i just need to get the size right for my swimming!  too small produces crazy tangles...and too big is too much manipulation to retwist twice a week....any suggestions???

@nubien, yes!  the problem is that it is such a terrific moisturizer and the properties were amazing. i couldn't pass it up...and i completely blanked on the protein sensitivity stuff.  but, i found out! lol  i have products with avocado oil in them that feel amazing so i think it's when the oil is used by itself...and when you have other protein prods in your rotation that you are using in conjunction with the oil.

@naturalessence, does the plastic cap help with preventing water from getting in?  for me, the ends of my hair get wet and sometimes the sides...the majority of it is dry, but i def have to wash after.  i went swimming with my minitwists and i was able to wash in those. i know that cornrows are different and i would try to make sure that they were thoroughly rinsed, shampooed, and conditioned after swimming. if you don't think you can really do that with them in, then i would take them out and make them looser (so that you can insert your fingers to thoroughly clean/condition) or use twists under your wig.  i think that it is more important to protect your hair before you get in the pool, than to treat it after. So, put on tons of coconut/olive oils (oils that penetrate the shaft) and then a swim cap.  i also use the shea moisture shampoos and conditioners...i dc each time i swim.  time consuming/annoying yes, but i refuse to have my hair suffer because of the chlorine. i love swimming!

@catrice, super cute style!  it looks so natural!

@kunoichi, i have heard of sulfur doing things like that so I would not be surprised!
Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 12:01pm

Did a length check, I doubt I got any growth from Dec. 22 to now, but hey.. I was bored.. lol.. I do notice I get major shrinkage after washing..Nono Im still bunning 99% of the time. Its getting boring but I love the retention its giving me. i Applied my sulfur mix last night.

Edited by Cherry89 - Jan 12 2013 at 12:02pm
assiyrabomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiyrabomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 12:03pm
Hello All! Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while. But I'm still in my U-Part Wig. I've been using my tea tree oil mixture on my scalp 3x a week. I'm planning on taking this wig out next weekend and washing/dcing my hair. I'm going to straighten it and do a length check. I'll also trim if necessary. I have no idea how long my hair is. The last length check I did was in August and my hair was BSL. I'm excited to see how much it has grown. I'll be sure to post pics Smile
shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 3:48pm
Hey ladies!! I am still in this afro kinky curly weave. I will be taking it down tomorrow to get a u-part wig made into a bob (long in the front short in the back). This will be my hair-do for school, we start classes on Monday. I am working on getting my closure to match this hair texture that I have so I won't have to leave any hair out. If I can get it how I want it, I'll keep this in until Valentine's day. If not, I'll go back to the AKC weave because I'm not taking my braided base down any time soon. I just have my edges out currently to blend the weave.

I have been moisturizing every other day if I remember to. Not putting anything on the braids underneath but when I take this hair down tomorrow, I will do a dry shampoo on my base to make sure I don't have any build up before I reinstall more hair.
shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 4:28pm
Also, I will be flatironing my leave out on a very low temperature if the closure doesn't turn out right. I really don't want to do it but this AKC is too high maintenance for me and the bob is a shake and go style. I will be taking it off at night to re-bump it if needed. I will be making two wigs of the bob hair as well so I can switch my parts and reduce the risks of heat damage.
AmberColour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberColour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 6:18pm
Ugh. I'm back to update..
Had to cool. Cry
I got kinky twists put in and I will upload pictures tomorrow or later tonight (when I feel like).
This was so not worth it. Idk how much a protective style this is, being that it was more harm than good. :/
Just glad my hair is still short, I guess so I can recover from this.
I'll just stick to my wigs or scarfing from now on.

Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 10:08pm
^^^ What happened??? was it too tight?? I hope it didn't do much damage :(

here is my protective style, that I will be wearing 99% of the time. 
until Mid next year..I didn't use any hair material, just twisted my real hair in a circular motion and bunned and pinned :yep:

Edited by Cherry89 - Jan 12 2013 at 10:41pm
CrunderNaccis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrunderNaccis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 11:03pm
I'm just re-twisting the loose twists. 3 more week left and I am taking them down. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435 82>
  Share Topic