Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 82>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
savannavanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannavanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by nubiennze nubiennze wrote:

For all who have encountered heat damage, how often and at what temperature were you straightening? What tools were you using (blow dryer, flat iron, pressing comb, all of the above) and at what temperatures? What preventative tips can you offer the rest of us so that we can avoid heat damage?

I don't straighten much--my progress pic for this challenge was probably the first time I've ever flat ironed my whole head, lol--but I do not use more than one form of direct heat at once (e.g., I rollerset to stretch my hair instead of blow drying).

I also use a form of the chase method with the brush in this thread, which I think allows you to get straighter results with far less heat. (My flat iron goes up to 25; I won't allow it to touch my hair past 15. I'm planning to get an FHI Platform so I can know what temp it is, as I'd like to stay between 275 and 325 if possible.)

If I see smoke, I STOP. (Thankfully that didn't happen this time.) I use very little product (and the ones I do use are purposeful--grapeseed oil and Nubian Heritage Heat Protect Leave-In) so that nothing is burning off and frying my hair.

At this point I'm only using heat quarterly for dusting/length checks, but if I wanted to wear my hair straight more often, I don't think I'd want to apply a heat tool to it any more than once a month...every two weeks at the absolute most. No mid-week touch-ups. Reversion would either mean gradually transitioning into curlier styles like pincurls, bantu knot outs, or braid & curls or washing and starting over.

These are just my amateur recommendations based on research and experience with chewed up relaxed hair from daily heat usage as a teenager, lol. Hopefully some of the other ladies have more insight.

I've only straightened my whole head of hair three times in the past 1 1/2 yrs.
The first two times i blow dried on cool/warm and then flat ironed between 360-400 degrees with heat protectant using the comb chase method. Maximum of two passes. Minimum retouches once its straight. Never experienced any heat damage this way.

I believe my heat damage this time was due to my not being proactive about asking the stylist
questions before he did my hair. He blow dried, hot combed and flat ironed my hair. He's a family friend and he let me borrow his flat iron to take with me for the rest of my visit home, since I didn't bring my own. He assured me that i would probably need to touch it up, though I insisted i wouldn't. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that the flat iron was set to the highest temp possible-- 450 degrees. That's the temperature at which hair burns. So I was pretty sure there was some heat damage.

My since you're already pretty cautious when straightening, you should be okay, though there's always a risk of some heat damage involved.

Simply put, my advice would be to ask plenty of question before you let someone else go diggin around in your head. Hth.
Sponsored Links

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:10pm
hi, ladies!  happy sunday! i am in a banana clip with my ends tucked. no gel...just braiding my hair (and moisturizing) at night.... will try to upload a pic of the style tomorrow.  i seriously need to wash my hair, but because of timing, will have to wait until wednesday. 

i know i am on a no-buy...but i seriously need another banana clip, one of those pony hook things, and a stylish head band (the lace ones, not cloth).  will try to stop by a bss tomorrow to pick them up. maybe during lunch time.

@kunoichi, pretty braids!

@certified, sounds good!

@khivey, have a great time in japan!  my little sis is there for the year...and she is having a great time so far.

@littlebaby, cute style!
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:56pm
Thank you Heavy!
Wow! That is great! Is she teaching?
Well, I definitely look forward to having a great time as well thenBig smile
Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:12pm
Okay, Did a dc with Aussie 3 Minute. Loc method and put into a updo Bun. My Hair really like the Loc method. I used Aussie as a leave-in as well and used olive oil afterward and I finished of with some Softee Mango Butter to seal my ends. MY HAIR LOVES THIS!!!! WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS SOONER!! :) : ) :)
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:18pm
@Cherry-What is the loc method?
Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 3:36pm
Use leave in, seal with oil and creme (Grease, whatever floats ya boat. LOL)

L- Leave In
O-Oil
C- Creme or Grease ( I Use Softee MAngo Butter for a $1 from Dollar Tree)

Here are some links if you want to read more about it. :) HTH!

Something similar to the LOC method

My regi is cowash with Vo5, use Aussie 3 min as a leave in, seal with olive oil, and lock in moisture with Softee mango butter ( Grease) Smells really good. 
jadorenaturality92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadorenaturality92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 3:59pm
I have had my hair flat ironed since friday. My sister clipped my ends which hasn't happened in over a year. It's already reverting LOL so I'm going to DC tomorrow and braid it up.

Here's the video \/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZUxQijRsE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZUxQijRsE
@cherry Thank. I didn't know that there was a name for it

Edited by jadorenaturality92 - Jan 07 2013 at 4:06pm
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:12pm
@jadore, your hair looks super shiny!  your sis did a great job flat ironing!  and i'm with you on the flinching...it's all about those flashbacks to the pressing comb! LOL

here is how i am rocking my hair today, y'all.  banana clip to the side with a lace headband - loose hair until i wash on wed and put back into twists.  the banana clip section is loose flat twisted:

MuayThaiLadii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuayThaiLadii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 5:24pm
Wash hair with garnier oil repair conditioner let it air dry.... took one cornrow loose applied grape seed water and some conditioner.

Than pulled some just to see where Im at...havent seen it since Sept and i cornrowed it back.

Cherry89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 6:11pm
@Heavy, girl your hair is Lovely! so thick and healthy. I love that style!  Thumbs Up

@Muaythailadii, lovely hair and curl pattern. girl you got some shrinkage on you!Tongue
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 82>