Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 82>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Certified*Baby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certified*Baby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 8:13am
I'm going to side-line join this challenge.
I won't be able to keep up with visual check ins
But...I'm in a sew in. Currently neck/ear length and I'll be in back to back sew ins
Relax every 4 months. And wigs for two weeks after each relaxer...
Goal is APL
Sponsored Links

shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:28pm
I washed my hair in the twists and it is still moisturized from two days ago... I am going to wash this weave again and detangle it (my friend and I swapped my deep curly hair for her afro kc u-part wig). After that, I will sew the hair in after taking it off the wig. I will be rocking it in a high bun for the remainder of the week with the sew in. This hair is high maintenance just like my natural hair so it will get me more used to managing it the proper way without damaging my hair trying to "figure out what works." Hopefully I can develop a good regimen.
savannavanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannavanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 8:50pm
@Nika Hug i understand girl. just found ridiculous amounts of heat damage from my straightening. it happens to the best of us.
savannavanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannavanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 9:01pm
my little hair tidbit for the week:

As i mentioned above, i have heat damage. Before fully washing there were multiple pieces/chunks that had 2-5 inches of straight ends. So after washing with a regular sulfate shampoo & moisturizing shampoo, i followed up with 2 deep conditioners. One was protein based for 10 min with heat and the other, moisture based for 30 minutes with steam. After all of that my hair appears to be kinky again, but has lost pretty much all elasticity where the damage occurred.
I've put in marley twists for now since that was the plan. I've seen many only wear them for a couple of weeks max, but since i'll mainly be wearing them in a bun, i'm going to attempt to keep them until the end of the month. I'll either post pics or a link to a yt video soon.

hope everyone is doing well with their challenge

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 9:13pm
I've been rocking my hair in Celie braids since before NYE...I washed and conditioned them the other day. I don't know if these babies are going to make it 3 weeks because they are bigger in size and fuzzy and rough looking already...but I'll be traveling by train and boat throughout next week so I'm really trying to not have to rebraid until after I arrive in Japan on the 17th. Thinking I may get by with rocking some cute head scarves..hmmm
nubiennze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubiennze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 9:37pm
For all who have encountered heat damage, how often and at what temperature were you straightening? What tools were you using (blow dryer, flat iron, pressing comb, all of the above) and at what temperatures? What preventative tips can you offer the rest of us so that we can avoid heat damage?

I don't straighten much--my progress pic for this challenge was probably the first time I've ever flat ironed my whole head, lol--but I do not use more than one form of direct heat at once (e.g., I rollerset to stretch my hair instead of blow drying).

I also use a form of the chase method with the brush in this thread, which I think allows you to get straighter results with far less heat. (My flat iron goes up to 25; I won't allow it to touch my hair past 15. I'm planning to get an FHI Platform so I can know what temp it is, as I'd like to stay between 275 and 325 if possible.)

If I see smoke, I STOP. (Thankfully that didn't happen this time.) I use very little product (and the ones I do use are purposeful--grapeseed oil and Nubian Heritage Heat Protect Leave-In) so that nothing is burning off and frying my hair.

At this point I'm only using heat quarterly for dusting/length checks, but if I wanted to wear my hair straight more often, I don't think I'd want to apply a heat tool to it any more than once a month...every two weeks at the absolute most. No mid-week touch-ups. Reversion would either mean gradually transitioning into curlier styles like pincurls, bantu knot outs, or braid & curls or washing and starting over.

These are just my amateur recommendations based on research and experience with chewed up relaxed hair from daily heat usage as a teenager, lol. Hopefully some of the other ladies have more insight.
902sexxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 902sexxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:33am
I washed this weekend, m&s with castor oil. Hair soft still, been in cornrows for 3 weeks and hopefully I'll be able to keep 'em another 3 weeks
iBetYouhNvNika View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iBetYouhNvNika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:04am
I can't offer much insight that was the first time straightening my hair and I didn't even straighten the full head "/
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:13am
Hi guys i have finally got around to making pic updates. This is the PS my hair is gonna be in for this week. i was gonna finger coil it again- i had but i'd washed them out a few days ago and hadn't felt like being bothered with my hair since. so it's pretty much been in this for two days now with cowashin in between: 
 this is just my hair thrown into a messy bun out of a twistout. i plan to keep it all week long and then rewash on saturday or sunday. after that i may do finger coils. we'll see about my mood. 
ends look straight though. Thumbs Up

littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:18am
Originally posted by nubiennze nubiennze wrote:

For all who have encountered heat damage, how often and at what temperature were you straightening? What tools were you using (blow dryer, flat iron, pressing comb, all of the above) and at what temperatures? What preventative tips can you offer the rest of us so that we can avoid heat damage?

I don't straighten much--my progress pic for this challenge was probably the first time I've ever flat ironed my whole head, lol--but I do not use more than one form of direct heat at once (e.g., I rollerset to stretch my hair instead of blow drying).

I also use a form of the chase method with the brush in this thread, which I think allows you to get straighter results with far less heat. (My flat iron goes up to 25; I won't allow it to touch my hair past 15. I'm planning to get an FHI Platform so I can know what temp it is, as I'd like to stay between 275 and 325 if possible.)

If I see smoke, I STOP. (Thankfully that didn't happen this time.) I use very little product (and the ones I do use are purposeful--grapeseed oil and Nubian Heritage Heat Protect Leave-In) so that nothing is burning off and frying my hair.

At this point I'm only using heat quarterly for dusting/length checks, but if I wanted to wear my hair straight more often, I don't think I'd want to apply a heat tool to it any more than once a month...every two weeks at the absolute most. No mid-week touch-ups. Reversion would either mean gradually transitioning into curlier styles like pincurls, bantu knot outs, or braid & curls or washing and starting over.

These are just my amateur recommendations based on research and experience with chewed up relaxed hair from daily heat usage as a teenager, lol. Hopefully some of the other ladies have more insight.

I hadn't flat ironed mine in 5 months. WHen i did i didn't use heat protectant- flat iron only; and my flat iron has no adjustable setting. it's just 400 plus degrees. It's a pro iron tho. I didn't see smoke when i flat ironed, but movin fwd i don't plan to use heat again til i've reached my ultimate length goal. 
i got heat damage after that one time, but to be fair, i didn't prep my hair properly beforehand. i don't think the damage i encountered was due solely to the flat iron. my hair hadn't been stretched properly before i got started. 
i've flat ironed regularly in the past with not as much damage. i don't have many tips to offer to help others. i know how to get the hair bone straight but that's about the only gem i could give to someone. i still have lots to learn about how to keep hair healthy after using heat once in a while. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 82>
  Share Topic