BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Protein Treatments

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
AmandaKay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Protein Treatments
    Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 12:34am
Since I've been in braids since June, I believe my hair needs a strengthen boost before I get weaved up.

I know many naturals don't do hard protein treatments regularly, but for those that do one ONCE and while, what is your product of choice?

I'm using Aphogee Two-Step Treatment because it's the only one I've been familiar with since kiddie hair care. Plus, hard protein treatments really scare me. So I think I'll stay in my comfort zone.

Do you do hard protein treatments? If so, how often do you do them? What do you use?

Sponsored Links

rosalindb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosalindb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 4:31pm
The strongest protein I use is Aubrey Organics Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask.

This was the review I posted in my Fotki:

Ingredients: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Aloe Vera, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Red Algae Extract, Lavender Water, Organic Blue Green Algae.

I tried the mask sometime in 2008 more for prevention so did not notice anything.

For the first few months of 2009 my hair has been feeling much too soft and I had a tiny bit of breakage in the crown. I have been using the GBP every 4th week as usual and for the last few weeks, I have been adding organic blackstrap molasses to my HSR which I use every 2nd week but felt like I need something stronger so decided to give the mask another go to see if I noticed any difference.

April 4th 2009, I pre-pooed with Aubrey Organics Green Algae Hair Rescue Mask & hemp seed oil on dry hair and sat under the hooded dryer for 30 minutes. I thought it would leave my hair hard but it left it feeling really soft.

Even though my hair felt soft, I wanted to ensure that I followed with a good moisturising deep conditioner so used AO Honeysuckle Rose with added honey and organic jojoba oil.

One week latter, I was touching my hair and loving how strong it felt. I'm glad that I gave the mask another try.

Update I used this on 17th October 2009. I used the mask against last Saturday as a pre-poo treatment. It has been six months since I last used it. I used it with organic virgin coconut oil. I applied the mask on dry hair and sat under my hooded dryer for 30 minutes. I shampooed, then conditioned with Aubrey Organics White Camellia.

My hair feels noticeably stronger but still really soft. My hair is in its usuals cornrows and I have been playing with the ends all week. Considering I should have trimmed my hair on Sunday as I have not trimmed since last April, my ends feel great and so moisturised - a definite improvement

This is a definite keeper for me and I think I will continue to use this at least twice a year as my hardcore protein treatment.

Edited by rosalindb - Jan 26 2010 at 4:31pm
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCassC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 4:34pm
I've used the Apohgee 2 min conditioner.  It's worked pretty well for me.
traphael81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traphael81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 6:32pm
 I also do braids and kinky twists often (currently in them nowLOL) and I know what you mean about the hair feeling  or needing something to boost it up. Mine usually feels thin or weak. I do the Aphogee 2 Step the wknd before and the wknd after I take them out. (not the first time I wash after taking down the braids/twists).

I have also used Dudley's DRC 28 Hair Treament and Fortifier. It's a heavy protein kind of the same as Aphogee in that it gets hard but you put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer. It's more expensive $50.00 and hard to find. So now I just stick to Aphogee.

NinaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 6:59pm

I use Aphoghee 2 min conditiioner once a week. I found out my natural hair craves protein more than it does moisture. I usually follow with a moisturizing conditioner/detangler. It all depends on what your hair likes.

MizzBrit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 8:41pm
i use aphogee 2 step before i put in and take out my braids/weaves

that ish stinks up somthin serious

Edited by MizzBrit - Jan 26 2010 at 8:42pm
ghanaiandoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghanaiandoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 10:21pm
I use biolustre once a month.
I don't really like it. Maybe I'm just using it wrong..
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 10:38pm
Rosalindb-
Thanks for that review!Thumbs%20Up
AmandaKay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 10:42pm
@ rosalindb -- That sounds interesting. I might look into that.

@ MissCassC and NinaS -- I've used this off and on last year. I really do like it. I always have some on hand. I call it my moderate protein treatment (if that makes sense).

@ traphael81 -- I've heard about Dudley's Protein Treatment! I've actually want to try it because a small part of me is a Dudley's loyalist (I hope no one stones me), but I don't want to shell out the money. Plus, like you said, it's hard to find.

@ MizzBrit -- Yea, this stuff does smell like feet and ass. You would think in all these years the smell would change. But now. I never adjusted to the smell! I remember crying as a child when it was time for the Aphogee!

@ ghanaiandoll -- Biolustre? Yea, I'm off because this one is a new one for me! Off to investigate! Why you don't like it though? How does it make your hair feel?
ghanaiandoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghanaiandoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by AmandaKay AmandaKay wrote:

@ ghanaiandoll -- Biolustre? Yea, I'm off because this one is a new one for me! Off to investigate! Why you don't like it though? How does it make your hair feel?

It reduced my breaking instantly.. but my hair felt pretty dry even after moisturizing. Maybe I should have done a moisturizing DC.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply