Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Haitian bhmers: Didnt know they was haitian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SimplyPut View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyPut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

So is Vanessa Williams! (not the singer/beauty queen, the one from Soul Food). I'm shocked. I wonder what her real name is.

Her name is Nicole Ari Parker Kodjoe.
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by SimplyPut SimplyPut wrote:

So is Vanessa Williams! (not the singer/beauty queen, the one from Soul Food). I'm shocked. I wonder what her real name is.

Her name is Nicole Ari Parker Kodjoe.

No. Nicole is the light skinned one on the right. Vanessa Williams is the one on the left with the red dress.
SimplyPut View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyPut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:23pm
Oh ok, I thought you were calling Nicole Vanessa Williams because she replaced her in the soul food television series, lol.
smaison View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote smaison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:32pm
lil wayne is not one of us; stop it. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

lil wayne is not one of us; stop it. 

LOL I purposely avoided him, but to no avail!
Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

Let me be clear that i'm not saying all Haitians look the same. I maybe wrong with my assumptions but I normally guess right when I see a Haitian (with the exception of a couple of Africans).  I really don't know how to describe the features because I don't have the science down pack.   I just know when I see them.  Perhaps its because I'm always around Haitians and Jamaicans and know the difference.  I really don't know.

I even had a strong feeling about Usher a long time ago.   The same with Lloyd.

Even my Haitian friends can point out other Haitian people.  When we people watch, we pick them out all the time.  We prove it when he/she speaks Creole to them and they respond back. 

I can sometimes pick 'em out too but it's mostly an attitude. Hard to explain. The other day, this haitian dude came to my door to fix my Internet connection and he asked me where I came from. He was expecting me to answer some african country. Whereas I knew he was haitian the minute I saw him.
What type of attitude?
Ds2nice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ds2nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

i personally don't think it's possible because we African's- who have gone through slave trade are a mixed people... All my life people ask me if I am Haitian, Jamaican or whatever african and I am AA.. so we all look alike in many ways but have some cultural norms that make us seem different our features are beautiful

From my experiences, I know it's possible.  Yes, we are all mixed people but sometimes you can identify common traits that can give you a hint about a person's ethnicity or background.  Somehow I am able to see certain features in people (some not all) that leads me to know where they are from.  And I'm only able to do that with Haitians and Jamaicans (again not all).  I can bet you its due to being around these people all of my life.  It can also be the way I observe and focus on certain facial features.  I had spent most of my childhood around my uncle, a portrait artist, and maybe I had learned some of this from being around him.  I don't have a technique but I just know its possible.  I know sometimes people are shocked when I can guess an ethnicity or an age.  

Anyway my most favorite feature on a person are their eyes and Haitians have some very interesting beautiful eyes.

I know this is not some special gift because I know there are other people that can do this and are way better at it than I am.  Until today, I honestly thought that I was amongst many people that notice the difference. 

Now i'm about to go ask some of my Haitian friends their thoughts on this too......meeting today at a Jamaican bar for happy hour. Embarrassed

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 5:12pm

Let me be clear that i'm not saying all Haitians look the same. I maybe wrong with my assumptions but I normally guess right when I see a Haitian (with the exception of a couple of Africans).  I really don't know how to describe the features because I don't have the science down pack.   I just know when I see them.  Perhaps its because I'm always around Haitians and Jamaicans and know the difference.  I really don't know.

I even had a strong feeling about Usher a long time ago.   The same with Lloyd.

Even my Haitian friends can point out other Haitian people.  When we people watch, we pick them out all the time.  We prove it when he/she speaks Creole to them and they respond back. 

I can sometimes pick 'em out too but it's mostly an attitude. Hard to explain. The other day, this haitian dude came to my door to fix my Internet connection and he asked me where I came from. He was expecting me to answer some african country. Whereas I knew he was haitian the minute I saw him.
What type of attitude?

It's hard to explain. The way one walks, carries oneself. Sometimes I'll see a French african girl walking down the street who looks like she could be haitian in the face but I know she's not because of her walk. Sometimes it's the walk and the manner of dress (and she doesn't have to wear traditional clothing or anything, it's just a sense of personal style). It's a vibe. Same thing with jamaicans. It's not about the features most of the time. Different cultures have a different vibe about them, this intangible thing.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 08 2014 at 5:17pm
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 5:31pm
IA with y'all. i can spot my people on the internet from a mile away i feel its a mix of features, supm in the eyes, the aura and other thinkgs one cant explain. im usually correct about 85% of the time. I will say though all Jamaican men have a "walk" aboassy walk/lean/bop i just stop and watch it all the time and laugh. Even the lamest dude thinks he's the ish.
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Panamanians and Jamaicans look alike to me...

Wellllllllllll those yardie dudes are rather very fertile and like the ladies a lot so when they left Jamaica to construct the Panama Canal (and i know you are quite aware) they left behind their DNA LMAOOOOOOOOOOO
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic