Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hairline breakage? 17 years old HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
ashelyzee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashelyzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hairline breakage? 17 years old HELP
    Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 8:04am
hello ladies, im 17 years old. my hair first started breaking when i was 10. i wore weaves i stopped when i was 13-14. i just recently started transitioning to natural hair (2 months and they are getting worse) i have used jamaican castor oil, olive oil, rogaine (doctor recommended) they have not worked. my hair breaks every couple of weeks. i need help i want to do different styles. i cry almost everyday. i wear bangs now. (my real hair) any suggestion? I'm currently taking hairfinity to grow my natural hair but nothing had helped my edges. HELP PLEASEEE!!!!!!! :(
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 8:24am
Hello and welcome.  I have a couple of questions: did an actual doctor prescribed the Rogaine for you because that is a serious medication.  Once you take it, you basically have to take it for life or hairloss actually speeds up.  Second, have your doctor checked your thyroid?    Also have you been check for PCOS or any hormone disorder?  Do you use a lot of heat styling tools such as blowdryer, flat iron, curling iron, etc?  What is your hair care routine?
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 10:15pm
Let me add to the questions Nars asked.

• Do you have a consistent regimen?
  •  Do you wear your hair out? What styles do you do? Do you protective style with any sort of extension, like braids?
  • How often do you wash your hair? How do you moisturize it, and how often? What do you use? Do you apply oil to dry hair or wet hair?
  • Do you use shampoo or cowash? What are the specific names of the products that you use regularly?
  • How does your hair feel, does it feel dry or brittle?
  • How do you detangle your hair? Wet, dry, fingers, comb, brush, etc?
  • Do you have fine or low density strands? What of your other hair types?
  • When did you get your first relaxer?

My initial impression. Many ppl with fine hair tend to have breakage at their hairline prematurely due to the effect of relaxers. They also get this effect with sew in, and braids, or if they wear weave and leave some hair out and apply heat. Then they get misdiagnosed with a hormone problem. That's why the medication and vitamins aren't really effective since it isn't the core issue.

Now that you are transitioning, it is common to see hair loss because you are dealing with two textures. The key thing to remember is that now that your hair is transitioning, you cannot treat it like you have treated your relaxed hair. So if you are using certain products and regimens that are the norm for relaxed hair, they may have been okay for your relaxed hair (barely) but your natural hair will rebel even more strongly against those.

My initial suggestion is that you need to implement moisture and actual water, not just oils and vitamins. I know that when i had a completely smooth bald spot on my head, moisture is what grew my hair back. Not tingly oils and vitamins, and telling myself i had alcopecia.

So you may want to start reading into this regimen, it is called the Max hydration Method. You can do it on your transitioning hair too.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10888148.html?KW=THE+MAX+HYD#10888148

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 12 2014 at 5:01pm
ashelyzee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashelyzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 6:21pm
Hi, I stopped rogaine like 2 months ago. My hair breaks the same with or without it. My doctor recommended it for the back of my head which is shorter, thats all. Rogaine didnt not effect my crown. Daily use is hairfinity, olive oil, coconut oil and jamaican castor oil (mixed together) every other day on my edges. I am wearing my real transitioning hair out and I get Dominican blow outs to straighten my hair. I dont not straighten it at home. And I sleep with a silk scarf 
ashelyzee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashelyzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Let me add to the questions Nars asked.

• Do you have a consistent regimen?
  •  Do you wear your hair out? What styles do you do? Do you protective style with any sort of extension, like braids?
  • How often do you wash your hair? How do you moisturize it, and how often? What do you use? Do you apply oil to dry hair or wet hair?
  • Do you use shampoo or cowash? What are the specific names of the products that you use regularly?
  • How does your hair feel, does it feel dry or brittle?
  • How do you detangle your hair? Wet, dry, fingers, comb, brush, etc?
  • Do you have fine or low density strands? What of your other hair types?
  • When did you get your first relaxer?

My initial impression. Many ppl with fine hair tend to have breakage at their hairline prematurely due to the effect of relaxers. They also get this effect with sew in, and braids, or if they wear weave and leave some hair out and apply heat. Then they get misdiagnosed with a hormone problem. That's why the medication and vitamins aren't really effective since it isn't the core issue.

Now that you are transitioning, it is common to see hair loss because you are dealing with two textures. The key thing to remember is that now that your hair is transitioning, you cannot treat it like you have treated your relaxed hair. So if you are using certain products and regimens that are the norm for relaxed hair, they may have been okay for your relaxed hair (barely) but your natural hair will rebel even more strongly against those.

My initial suggestion is that you need to implement moisture and actual water, not just oils and vitamins. I know that when i had a completely smooth bald spot on my head, moisture is what grew my hair back. Not tingly oils and vitamins, and telling myself i had alcopecia.

So you may want to start reading into this regimen, it is called the Max hydration Method. You can do it on your transitioning hair too.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10888148.?KW=THE+MAX+HYD#10888148 - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10888148.html?KW=THE+MAX+HYD#10888148

Sure, I wear my hair out. I get hot oil treatments with a blow out every 2 weeks. only heat that I use. My hair feels fine. My crown is just thin, little to no hairs. I got my first relaxer when I about 10-11. I do not know the products that the salon uses. but i use castor oil, coconut oil and olive oil at home on my edges thats it. Is a max hydration method a kind of conditioner? 
ashelyzee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashelyzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 6:36pm
HI, I am wearing my natural hair. I get hot oil treatments and a blow out every two weeks. I use these oils at home along with hairfinity pills. I just comb my hair down with some gel. I do not have and tangling with my hair. my first relaxer was when i was about 10-11. I apply my home oil the my dry hair. for the most part my hair feels fine. my edges is just thin little to no hair. is the max hydration method a type of deep condition?
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 6:36pm

Protein Treatment on Natural Hair

I use the item below every 2 months . The packs work better . The bottles are weak . Good luck . I found another members blog below .

First, I would like to say, This article is a personal testimony.I was apprehensive about doing a protein treatment on my hair.  As of this day, I transitioned for 11 months and due to traumatic life events, I took the scissors to my relaxed ends and began to cut away.

The State of My Hair

I have experienced heat damage due to blow drying and flat ironing during the final stages of transitioning.  I thought I was being cautious by using styling products that prevented heat damage; however, my ruined curl pattern at the crown of my head would speak differently.  In addition to heat damage, my hair was color-treated during transitioning, though I wouldn’t say there is damage, my hair appears to look dry.

What I noticed about My Hair

Two months of being natural, my go to style of choice is a wash ‘n go.  In the morning’s I shampoo or co-wash my hair and add styling products to define and hold my curl/coils.   Early on I began to notice the amount of hair in my shower, in my detangling comb and in my hands while caring for my hair and at first it wasn’t as of concern but then I began to feel this was not normal.  I would also like to add I was using a product that claimed 99.9% less breakage and shedding but it was a joke.  Can I get my money back?  Probably not!

The Process

The process was fairly easy; I shampooed my hair and used two ApHogee Two-Step Protein Treatment packages on my hair.  I sat underneath my hooded dryer and waited for the magic to happen.  Then I jumped in the shower to rinse out my hair and used two Balancing Moisturizer packages on my hair. 

The First Results

• My hair appeared drier than the Sahara desert. 
  • After using my styling mixture my hair still appeared dry and my curls/coils weren’t being defined as easily anymore.

The Second Results (A few days later)

• My hair is extremely soft now. 
  • Since experiencing heat damage in the top crown of my head, I have had a lot of new growth but it always appeared flat and dull.  Now that area has beautiful waves that are fully defined.
  • My hair is fuller; especially the top of my head
  • Though I I’m undecided on whether I like how my curls/coils are being formed as my hair dry, I notice there isn’t as much shrinkage.
  • Shedding and breakage has improved by 99.9%

Overall

I would recommend this product to anyone.  It has benefited my hair greatly.  Like most changes in our hair; I just need to find a new solution for styling my hair. 

Edited by india100 - Jun 17 2014 at 6:40pm
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by ashelyzee ashelyzee wrote:

HI, I am wearing my natural hair. I get hot oil treatments and a blow out every two weeks. I use these oils at home along with hairfinity pills. I just comb my hair down with some gel. I do not have and tangling with my hair. my first relaxer was when i was about 10-11. I apply my home oil the my dry hair. for the most part my hair feels fine. my edges is just thin little to no hair. is the max hydration method a type of deep condition?
I uderstand the topic is long , but you should read the first page .
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by ashelyzee ashelyzee wrote:

Your breakage started around the same time you got your first relaxer, so keep that in mind. I had a feeling though, this is pretty common especially for finer hair, that would explain that. On top of that transitioning and usage of heat may be too much for your delicate strands. The point where your newgrowth and relaxer meet is delecate. On top of having fine hair and not properly implementing moisture this could cause issues.

What type of gel are you using? That bald spot that i was talking about that i had a while ago was actually caused by a gel. Eco styler. So if you are using a gel regularly that could be contributing to it, depending on the ingredients.

The max hydration method is a regimen that works like a system each step works to introduce moisture to your hair. That link is directly to the revised regimen steps. Step 1 Clarify. Step 2. Deep Condition Step 3. Clay rinse Step 4. Leave in conditioner. Step 5. Gel/Seal. This regimen also pays attention to the kinds of products we put into our hair as not only can they take away from moisture retention if they have certain ingredients, they can cause breakage and thinning.

I think that you are definitely not incorporating enough deep conditioning. The oil treatments aren't going to be effective by them self because oil doesn't really moisturize the hair. And the fact that you have fine hair means you probably are going to be sensitive to usage of heat. Every 2 weeks might be a bit to much for your hair.

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 17 2014 at 8:40pm
eva92watson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eva92watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 4:31am
There is no need to worry. Several factors contribute to hair loss. It will be better if you see an expert Trichologist to help you. There should be a way out. Wish you luck!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style