Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hair Stretching techniques for growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 5:16pm
Removed my threads this morning to wash and condition.

This last time I braided the thread with my hair.   It lasted a bit longer even with the 4-5 min massages

Removing it was time consuming, but a tiny bit of conditioner on each braid helped to make it a lot easier.

Not sure if I will re-do them later .   I have 2 days left to do inversion.

Sponsored Links

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 1:11pm
So I finally got to see my hair stretched, looks really nice and I did not have to use heat

Threaded again last night...Hope this is not an addiction
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 5:41pm
Been wearing my threads out just bunning them...in the wig with pins was too much tension.
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:38pm
Last day of Inversion for me. I want so badly to remove the threads and Co-wash, but then I think I will be defeating the purpose of my threading.

Maybe I will just Co-wash with the threads and see how that works out.
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:55pm
Took threads out...hair was in super moisturized...not sure if I'll put them back in since sunday is the start of my inversion...if i do put them on it'll be Thursday night.
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2014 at 3:18pm
Well ladies, I have done it! I did a real hair stretching technique... a Brazilian Keratin Treatment called UNCURLY  from www.uncurly.com
It was super easy to do. I had to shampoo my hair with their clarifying shampoo first.
Then I put the keratin lotion in my hair and let it sit for 20 minutes
Then I blow dried it in the hair and flat ironed the hair... simple. The hair will obviously feel coated until you wash it out 3 days later bc you blow dried and flat ironed something like a keratin conditioner in the hair.
I've had to keep my hair straight and dry for the past 3 days so it could cure in the hair. 

Basically what I did was flat iron keratin in my hair so that the heat from the flat iron supposedly made the keratin coat and infuse in each strand. It is supposed to fill all the weak spots of any damage on each strand and make each strand stronger. It is also supposed to make the curl up to about 2 letters looser. So if you are a 3c it will make it about a  3a (from c to a) If you are a 4b it would make your hair like a 3c approximately. However, the results are affected by many factors. Firstly, some brands work better and last longer than others.  Also, if you don't put enough on your hair it won't loosen much. If you do too few passes with the flat iron or use too low a heat it won't do much to the hair either. They recommend 4-10 passes at 450 but you can do less if you want. Also how long you keep the hair straight and dry before the first shampoo effects it . If you wait only 1 day before you rinse the keratin out you will have very little texture change, whereas if you wait the whole 3 days or even a week before you rinse the keratin out of the flat ironed hair it will supposedly last longer and reap looser curls. Ideally, I would like it STRAIGHT. Since obviously it will not straighten that much the first time, I would really  be happy with 2c like Chilli of TLC. I will probably just get 3a. I think I will be somewhere between 3a and straight since I had 3bc hair... either one will be fine for real. The average lady with type 4 hair can expect to get into the 3s if they do it right with a good product. Being in the 3s with humidity resistance will allow you to do wash n goes for curly and even roller wrap for straight with no heat!

In addition to making the curls about 2 letters looser, the hair is supposed to be totally  resistant to humidity and obviously have less shrinkage. If you blow dry or flat iron your hair it supposedly much faster and lasts longer with no reversion in bad weather or when sweating. That is the main reason I did it. I also really like the idea of it coating the hair with keratin to make it look shiny without any oil, you need less oil and styling aids to get even better results, and the hair is supposed to be STRENGTHENED by the keratin coating for more length retention. The more you shampoo the hair, the more the keratin coating wears off and the hair reverts. Some brands last 2 weeks, my brand is supposed to last 3-5 months if you do it right.  After it wears off your hair supposedly  in 3-5 months your hair supposedly gradually goes back to natural.  So there is no line of demarcation as it grows out like with a relaxer, rather the whole head just gradually reverts back to where you started. They make a lot of claims. I will tell you honestly how it delivers on each and every one of these claims over the next few months.

So theoretically, since I was a 3b/c I should be at least a 3a after I wet my hair again the first time 3 days after applying it.  I will probably cowash for the first time tomorrow for my big reveal of my initial results. I am so excited.  They make formaldehyde free formulas that bond the keratin to the hair with something like glycerin, propylene glycol or something else but they don't work very well. The brand I used does have formaldehyde in it so I had to have a fan blowing at my face and I did this in a room with the windows open.  I am hoping this works out for   me because it really seems like an answer to my prayers..
Question though, since it is supposed to wear out of my hair and leave it totally natural again in 3-5 months, do I  still call myself  natural now or do I have to wait until it wears out to call myself natural again. LOL  Embarrassed
I will update any results. I hope it does something good to my hair. LOL

PS I found out that a WHOLE LOT of people were following the curly girl method because they thought that following that method would loosen their texture so they would have curls. They basically thought the cg method would be like a texturizer or texlax treatment for the hair. (Ironically, the White women were thinking the opposite. They thought cg method would tighten their straight hair and give them some curl Ouch)  No the curly girl method does not do that but the UNCURLY girl method might Wink Brazilian Keratin Treatments like UNCURLY  are  like texturizers or  texlax  that works without the usual chemicals. Where as a relaxer WEAKENS the hair by removing keratin and weakening bonds, the keratin treatment actually strengthens the hair and adds keratin.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 26 2014 at 4:03pm
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:49pm
Hey Ladies! I was reading through the thread and you all seem to be having really good results with the various stretching practices. I hope it continues for y'all!

Although I'm WL, my Cleo can shrink to EL. So, I have a love - hate relationship with shrinkage.i get frustrated at times bc my true length is only shown when straight(although she shrinks whilst straight too). I'm not ready for a more permanent solution so I stretch Cleo by bunning. I split Cleo down the middle, M&S each section, and bun. I usually wear Cleo like this for two days so she can fully dry. Then, I take down each bun, brush with my paddle brush and put her in a ballerina bun. The result is really stretched hair. It almost looks like I have her a medium blow out and touched her up with a light hot comb. Keeps the tangles and ssk's down.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 2:44pm
Congratulations Luv! I am so glad to hear it is working great for you.   I got a look at my stretched hair today after cowashing and it went up just about 1 letter maybe (to 3a)... not much difference at all but it's OK.  It loosened it enough that I do actually like the way it looks in a wash n go finally! So I would say it was a success even though I used an inadequate flat iron.
It made it look and feel healthy and shiny. I will buy a new flat iron that can at least get up to 400 degrees before I do it next time.

I will be doing some brand of Keratin treatment on a regular basis from now on because I do like what they have to offer. I will just get a new flat iron before I do it next time and research which brand I want to try next time.

I just learned some helpful info about keratins:
  • If you want to keep your curl you use a ceramic iron at 400 degrees F or less, 4-7 passes. ( What I did)
  • If you want it straight when wet, you use a Babyliss Titanium iron at 450 degrees F, up to 10 passes, and keep it straightened for 3 days or more before washing it out with sulfate free shampoo or cowash.
  • If the hair is fine or damaged like mine and you want it straight, use 410-420 degrees F, up to 10 passes.

Another thing, do you know that glassy shine from inside the hair that you can see on some people's hair (that mine never had)? Well, as you are flat ironing the hair, that glass like glaze, polish comes up on the hair with each pass with a Keratin treatment as you are ironing the keratin into  the hair. And after your first wash, you still see it.  I feel my iron was not hot enough  (no where near 400) to get the full polish to come up on the hair with more passes. But as the hair dried after this first wash, I could see a tiny bit of that glass like glaze polish, shine coming on my hair... just a little bit of it.  My hair has never had that before. I think this polish like gloss radiating off the hair naturally is kind of the signature look of a keratin treatment along with some degree of a stretched  curl  pattern.   

I am looking forward to getting a bit more of this glassy shine on my hair with my next treatment with a  Titanium iron at 410-420 degrees F.  I also do not feel the need to use anywhere near as much oil on my hair now with this treatment. I still put some on the ends but the hair had a bit more sheen and healthy feeling even without so much oil when I co washed this out.  Also, I did notice what Luv was saying,  about my curls just getting kind of knocked out really easily as it dried  it twisted in a bun.   I didnt really notice my curl being so easy to just knock out with the least bit of manipulation before.  I also do notice  a LOT less frizz and a LOT more humidity resistance.  So all in all, I like a LOT about these treatments and how they generally make the hair kind of the bomb  in a subtle way ! LOL Thumbs Up 

Oh and just grit and bear the coated feeling for the first 3 or 4 days before the first wash. That is really the only down side to this whole thing. I didn't even mind that. I found that putting  a tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends of the hair after it was flat ironed got rid of the rough, coated feeling during those first few days. I dont know if that hurt the results at all but it made the process a lot more bearable for me. 

I will update on any changes and how it holds up with time.Wink

PS: I am already looking into the Keratin Research brand for the next time and of course a Titanium iron at 410-420 F for my fine, fragile hair.  Oh yeah, and it did make my hair feel a bit stronger too! I will probably do my next one sooner rather than later. We'll see how long this one holds up. Approve

ETA: After yesterday's air dry and sleeping in  a top knot last night, I woke up this morning with it looking almost exactly like Leona Lewis' hair here. NO HEAT...air dry and top knot only

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 28 2014 at 11:46am
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 11:01am
Gosh I am still so loving this UNCURLY thing. 
I am back to air drying and just twisting my hair on top of my head in a top knot with my leave ins and a bit of coconut oil.
Update: Let me tell you, shrinkage, reversion and humidity frizz are all  things of the past for me right now. My hair needs a lot less oil and stays really shiny with so much less product now. I went out in the humidity and it behaved wonderfully! 

I am SO happy I decided to do this treatment to my hair! It is one of the best things ever for my hair so far. Will update any changes and how long it lasts..

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 30 2014 at 11:11am
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 5:46pm
Using silicone mix help stretched my hair alot...look liked i had a blow out when i took down my french braids.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
  Share Topic