Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hair Stretching techniques for growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Stretching techniques for growth
    Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:22am
A few of us have been talking about good ways to stretch by African threading, banding etc for length retention and low manipulation ease of styling. Let's post  our thoughts, updates and techniques here!

I found this video really helpful as a starting point. Note she mentions you can use kanekalon hair and that her technique covers the strand from root to tips with no gaps

Then this techniques shows how to do a round 2 for further stretching. I do not like how she leaves big gaps not wrapped.

I think if the little girl's hair is oiled, then braided in at least 2 large braids every night and tied down with a scarf sleekly every night  it will help to maintain it.
Then I suggested using elastic bands the length of head bands to wrap root to tip but it came up that theyre bulky

It will be interesting to see how it works for everyone and if the cwk  straight plates work well or not. 
How's everyone's stretching going? Is it helping you to do better twist outs, etc? Fewer ssk  and hair loss? Any hints and tips? How about maintenance... and tips for best upkeep and dealing with humidity?

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 02 2014 at 10:43am
Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:48am
Another technique I came across online was heat training. Apparently Longhairdontcare used it successfully and had butt length hair.  I believe Longhairdontcare went from like a 4c  to a 3c/4a with regular heat training.

This video shows her doing a root touchup with heat training at 450 degrees. (for fine hair she says as low as like 350 degrees.) She does 20 passes with a heat protectant. She say it takes 4 sessions like that to make each area of hair her desired looseness.
It would be good to do a protein and oil treatment before and use a good heat protectant.
I am certain heat training once or twice a month is much better for the hair than using chemicals. 
You do not continue to heat train the hair at that high temperature once you've reached the desired effect! Once you have trained that hair you  only use the lowest heat to style in subsequent weeks or you go no heat once you've gotten the desired effects and just condition the hair. You only then work on the roots that come out like she did above as the roots grow out every month. Remember it takes about. 4 seperate sessions of heat training on the hair to loosen it

PS I did heat train my hair last night with coconut oil and heat protectant. Today I am doing the coconut milk/lemon juice prepoo for a couple hours and then cowashing. It will be interesting to see how my texture reacts  WITH NO CHEMICALS!   Smile 

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 02 2014 at 11:31am
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:05am
Stretched hair easiler manipulate that's why i like it seem like less breakage before styling...french braids use to be my go to but im loving the headbands no dents just elongated hair.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:34am

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 02 2014 at 12:52pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:50pm
Thanks for opening this thread.
I was thinking we were crowding the other daily thread.

I an still liking my hair with the threading.   It is very loose now, but I am holding the sections with stretch bands.
Very determined to hold out until the weekend
Hope it does not create tangles.

Really need to do adequate protein treatments though.

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 5:28pm
Spent more than 10 hrs on YT yesterday looking different styles/types of threading and locking.   Still undecided, but will really like to do something that will last longer than a few days.

I also realized that I threaded my hair when it was wet rather than waiting for it to dry.   Not sure if that was why the thread slipped.

Thinking of taking out the current thread tonight, and do a proper treatment on my hair over the next 2 days and rethread.

Hope everyone have a Happy & Safe Holiday Weekend
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 5:37pm
Oh wow, please share with us anything interesting that you learned from those videos Benni
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:16pm
I just like using braids for stretching. I used the blow dryer yesterday but I won't do that often since it takes too much time and hurts my arm.

I do want to try banding though.

I'll come back with my maintenance routine for my stretched hair when I completely figure it out lol
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Oh wow, please share with us anything interesting that you learned from those videos Benni

Sure, I try to weed out the worthwhile ones and post the links.

My mind is open to using hair rather that thread, but still a little concerned about the bulk.

Using the hair (temporary locs) will allow me to keep them in for about 2 months, instead of the weekly threading.

Edited by Benni - Jul 03 2014 at 6:58pm
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:54pm
double post

Edited by Benni - Jul 03 2014 at 6:59pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>