Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hair Stretching techniques for growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 2:42am
Tips on how to transition from relaxed hair to heat trained "natural" hair

Stretch the time between relaxers to about 4 months so that you have sufficient new growth to heat train
Once you have a good amount of new growth do the 20 pass new growth only technique as shown in this video using temperature of 410 or greater with a heat protectant..

Repeat same procedure on new growth only at wash day until desired looseness of new growth is achieved. The same technique may be used on previously heat trained hair to touch up the new growth. My Beauty Marc finds that she requires about four treatments  to produce her desired effect on 4a/b hair. You may require more or less for your tastes.

To style the length of the hair that is already looser texture, do not use high temperature of 410 or greater. Use a very low temperature on already loose ends of around 320 degrees or less with a heat protectant as shown in this video such as to not end up with straight tips or breakage. Also, use only one or so passes also on already loose ends for the same reason. You may just set the ends on rollers with dry hair,  do braid outs, or wraps instead of using heat at all on the ends during this time of new growth treatment

Once you have done the heat training, you may desire to switch to NO heat styling techniques like roller sets and wraps or braid outs until time to heat train your new growth only again. During this time, pamper the hair.
Condition the hair with regular hot oils, hydrolyzed  protein and leave in oils to moisturize and seal.

There is no reason to ever chop your relaxed ends. Just simply always pamper and condition well all of your hair.

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 06 2014 at 3:26am
Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 9:56am
HEAT TRAINING UPDATE on 3b hair

I co washed today and did and aphogee 2 min and hot olive oil that was infused with onion and garlic then kanechom ceramide conditioner.

Where I did 20 passes in the 2 front quadrants, my hair hair  dries more elongated. So it loosened just a tiny bit with this 20 pass session.
where I did 10 passes on the top of the back quadrants the hair looks the same or maybe only very slightly loosened
where  I did 5 passes on the baby fine hair at my nape, the hair remained the same also. 
So, all in all I think this is what I wanted and I will not need to do any more heat training sessions. I will only do protein and hot oil treatments from now on.
My hair still looks curly but just a bit more elongated around the face. The hair also will probably frizz less around the face but be able to wear curls in the back. Just what I wanted. My fine, color treated 3b hair responded OK to one 20 pass session.
I was mainly looking for humidity and shrinkage relief so this is probably enough for me. Type 4 hair will need FOUR sessions at 410-450 according to My Beauty Marc.
I will give more feedback once the hair is dry and also later in the month.
How are you ladies doing with threading??? 
Enquiring minds want to know!

PS  The subtle elongation I got from this was just enough for me to actually LIKE the effect of a wash n go where as  I did not previously. I just round brushed the face framing lengths into feathers at the front and left the rest to air dry! I LOVE IT. Before it would have shrunken just a tiny bit too much for my tastes. I may do another session in a week or 2 after I do some more protein and oil DCs.

Curiously, African Export on youtube said the same thing. She said after her heat session she actually liked a wash n go where as she didn't before.

PS To put this in perspective. many white women flat iron their hair daily. I have only flat ironed mine once.
When the hair air dried past damp to moist, I brushed it flat with a bristle brush, the curl had been weakened to the pont that it remained straight with only slight 2c to 3a curls forming on the ends. it finished air drying that way and looked like body wave weave hair when dry. Before this treatment it looked like water wave weave naturally when air dried. So the curls are still there but can easily be knocked out after this first treatment to dry in a larger state if brushed smoothly while drying. Certainly, if I did another session of this, I would not have to brush the curls smoothly, rather I might have to scrunch them to keep a bit of curl

Edited by LadyAradia - Jul 07 2014 at 5:42am
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 1:23pm
My scalp was a bit sensitive after the threading.   I was more cautious during sleep because I did not want to pull hairs from my scalp.   
Not that they were tight, but because I am so aware that I don't have much, and did not want to lose anymore
At this time I am not sure I would do this many braids again, maybe they will last longer than the thicker braids, but I will take my chances and just do them larger.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 2:08pm
braids? did you actually braid the hair inside the threading Benni?
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

braids? did you actually braid the hair inside the threading Benni?

No, not actual braids.

I did not even realize that was how I referred to them.
SwaggerSoChic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwaggerSoChic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 10:05pm
ohhhhhhhh! Tongue Now I want some faux locs. That might be on the menu instead of box braids 
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 2:33pm
Well I had to do some work outside today and my hair was getting wet with perspiration. It stayed like a body wave. It did not frizz at all for a change, rather it hung limp LOL It still feels good but I am going to condition it like I am going crazy now. I have achieved a loose enough curl pattern with just ONE real FLAT ironing session in about two years. Not many people can say that they have only flat ironed their hair once in two years by the way. Some people were jumping on me about flat ironing this time but then I had to remind them just how often they've used their flat irons over the last two years compared to my one power session.

But I am finished with heat training for now. I will just do air dries, roller sets and wraps again.... and of course protein conditioners, hot oils, and deep conditioners like my life depends on it.  All in all, I would definitely say that heat training with My Beauty Marc 's technique on youtube is far better than relaxing, even when you do the full four separate 20 pass sessions imo.
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 8:07pm
Some of the threading is already loose.

I had to re-thread a few of them today.

I am developing a likeness for the Havana twists.

Looks like I may have to grow a 'pair' and just do it
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 9:48pm
Benni try doing them a little tighter at the roots.
Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

Benni try doing them a little tighter at the roots.

I tried doing that rell but they still slide down.

I have lost a lot of the bulk of my hair, first in '10 ten '13.
During that time I will just stand under the sprayer of the shower and hair was just falling out in clumps.

This time with the threading I really felt the sensitivity/soreness on my scalp. Maybe it's because it was sectioned smaller...IDK

But I know that styling my hair sectioned and contained is working so much better for me as far as maintenance goes, I really like it.

Still researching to see what will work out best for long term, maybe every month or two before having to redo.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic