Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair shaming in the black community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234

Author
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 4:21pm
Blonde hair on white women is the same as relaxed hair black women........
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 4:26pm
People always look at my hair then give reasons why they can't go natural.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Her business is suffering because she is alienating the very people she tryna sell to. Nobody is buying her stuff? Where the other naturals at? Don't blame the women that you're talking down to for not supporting you. You don't have to have a business degree to know basic PR.

I don't think women with relaxers and weaves are interested in her wares to begin with...

so folks that wear weaves and relaxers can't wear african inspired anything? hmmm...aight.  I don't know what she sells but i'm assuming. if that's the case...how come the naturals ain't supporting her then...if they're agreeing with what she's saying?

I ain't say they can't wear it, but they just aren't. Personally I don't know why other naturals aren't supporting her shop as I love handmade African inspired fashions from Etsy, wherever. I've never worked or gone to school with any other young person rocking kente/ankara though, natural or not.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Blonde hair on white women is the same as relaxed hair black women........

Because a considerable percentage of black people naturally have straight hair?
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 5:29am
Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

There are a lot of Black women that don't want to wear their natural texture because they believe that it is nappy/unkept and the only way you should step out is with a bone straight relaxer or a weave. The things that I have heard some Black women say about their hair is saddening. One of my students told me before the X-mas break that she was getting a touch up for the Holidays because she wants her hair to look like a White girl's. Some Blacks believe that if it ain't like the Whites, it ain't right. It takes someone to enlighten some of these people. Nothing wrong with a weave but you should also be able to find your Black natural hair beautiful.
Agreed.
JustMe90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustMe90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 2:09am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Can't stand natural nazis....Get a life and worry about your own naps.

CryLOL
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 2:30am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

I reaaaally don't get BHM's need to push the issue of self hatred under the rug like it's not a cancer in our community. 

Yes, we're allowed to have preferences, but what's guiding that preference? The answer to that question is why so many of us suffer from an inferiority complex...yet expect to build lucrative communities full of self loving black people. Oh.

Let me not derail your thread, ma. I know you expected the majority to eviscerate ole girl in the OP's opinion with some witty remark.

True and the mentality of the hair forums with this unconditional love for natural hair and using weaves only as the preferred protective style is certainly not reflective of our community as a whole. There is hair forum talk and then there is reality.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style