Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hair Product Review Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 535455

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 10:07pm

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Unfortunately I can't edit this review but let's just say I retract this review until further notice. I should have written the review after a few days to a week of use and not just a few hours. After a few days this left my hair brittle. DeadDead It was horrible. I shudder to think how much damage my hair incurred that week. Now I will give Shea Moisture the benefit of the doubt and say maybe something about the conditioner makes it unsuitable as a leave in because it's not labeled as a leave in. I will try this again once my hair recovers but for now use at your own risk. I'm putting my hair away in braids for two months after this fiasco.

i wanted to add that they fully intend this product to be used as a leave in or rinse out-- it says so on the back label.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 16 2014 at 1:00pm
Sponsored Links

Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I looked at the label. Which ingredients indicate protein? And yeah I was gonna give it another shot just to say I gave it a fair shake.

Shea moisture restorative conditioner:

Ingredients: Deionized water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)*, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil*, Behentrimonium Chloride, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil
*Certified Organic Ingredients

SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Sugar Starch, Silk Protein, Essential Oil Blend, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitol Esters, Algae Extract, Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract
*Certified Organic Ingredient

I bolded some of the ingredients that i think u may want to look into your hair not liking, and bolded the main points I made below so it's easier to read (since it's a lot). There is actually protein in the curl and style milk, it's silk protein. If your hair is low porosity, it's likely an ingredient your hair does not like, or you are protein sensitive.

It's also possible your hair is being dried out from the vegetable glycerin in the conditioner. Since you are using it in the winter especially, it's likely the vegetable glycerin is pulling moisture out of your hair and into the atmosphere. That's why if i were using a product with glycerin in it, it wouldn't be something i would leave in my hair. The conditions have to be right for it to do what it's supposed to do, which is pull moisture out of the air and into your hair-- that isn't going to happen during the winter months, it's too dry and cold. A lot of products have glycerin in them, which is one of the reasons many naturals complain about the winter weather drying their hair out and even causing breakage.  If you had to use this conditioner, I would only use it as a cowash, if at all. Maybe it will help pull the steam from the shower in to your hair?

Many people use glycerin and believe their hair "likes" it , just b/c it makes the hair feel soft temporarily. They may live or be in a humid enough environment, but I believe a lot of the time, the water that's being pulled toward the hair just kind of sits on the hair shaft. The oil is a sealant, no more moisture is going to properly be absorbed into the hair shaft after you apply it. Your hair is going to feel soft while the water is on it, but eventually the water will evaporate into the atmosphere with out your hair having drunk from it, leaving a dry, greasy, brittle feeling. This could happen anywhere from a few hours, to a couple of days.

Aside from that, maybe your hair doesn't not like coconut oil? Have u noticed any dryness from using coconut oil on your hair? For some, it acts like a protein, others like it, you could check into that.

As for panthenol, my understanding is that this is a light kind of protein, and paired with another protein ingredient, it can make the hair feel gummy, and also build up on the hair, which causes dryness.

Solution:
I understand when people have a problem with their hair, they want to jump into a protective style, but I believe the main problem here is your hair is dry. Putting your hair in braids right now may worsen the situation, or not do anything to improve it. What I would do is clarify my hair with a baking soda rinse (maybe 2 teaspoons bakingsoda, 1/3 cup of conditioner, and a little water, leave it on for 20-30 mins) and then I would rinse it out, section and apply some slightly watered down conditioner in my hair and GHE/DC for a couple of days. I would wear one of those fancy scarf protective styles to hide my shower cap from public viewing eye when i go out. Do it for maybe 2 days straight with out taking it off.

You won't get moisture overload, moisture overload should really be called not enough protein syndrome, because low porosity and pretty much all hair imo does not absorb water endlessly like a sponge. If it was like that, we wouldn't have frizz or dryness. Moisture overload happens when there isn't enough protein in your hair, which clearly isn't the problem here. Proof of that is the super softness you feel will go away once you hair is exposed to the air and all the excess unabsorbed water has evaporated into the atmosphere.

I have low porosity hair and it prefers the Coconut and Hibiscus line from Shea Moisture. I've only ever used the Deep Tx Masque out of the Raw Shea line but it is my current go to heavy protein tx. As such, I've also added to bold some more ingredients that are proteins and act as proteins.
K-Lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 1:59am
http://www.liquidgoldhairproducts.com/shop

Haven't posted in a while...but never the less the research has been never-ending.. this product is all that for naturals...and it is like a secret...I happened upon it because I was on Amazon of all places...

it is a water-based daily moisturizer...and for all you experienced naturals you know this is true find!  the hardest thing is to find a moisturizer that does not have mineral oil, petroleum, glycerin, and heavy oils that weigh down the hair.. 

Don't get me wrong oil is good to seal but Moisture is the key!!! and i would rather wet my hair with just water then to put some of this crap  they are marketing to us naturals on my crown and glory!!

okay so enough preaching... This product is all that.. The Whipped Ginger Cream works in my 3c 4A hair and my daughters 3c hair!!!

I LOVE IT and its cheap!!!! 

cosmochica010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmochica010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 1:14pm
Name of product: garnier fructise fall fight conditioner
Hair texture/type: 4a/4b/4c
How did you use the product: co-wash 
Overall satisfaction (scale of 1 to 5)
: 4

Name of product: biotin & collagen conditioner
How did you use the product: co-wash
Overall satisfaction (scale of 1 to 5)
: 5

The products are the best I had so far (1 year natural with lots of protective styling) and they hold to their promises. The only downside is the ingredients if you are doing the CG method. But since I am not then these products currently work wonders for me for an inexpensive price. Along with the black-tea rinse and the greenhouse method I've noticed way less breakage. ^_^

Also the fall fight has caffeine and biotin in them so with the thick and full biotin and collagen conditioner your hair  will look thicker 
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Darcy'S Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme

Hair Type: 4a/b/c, porous, damaged (relaxed ends)
Rating 6 out of 5 stars.

What can I say I love this product.  Currently I have a sew in but I have some hair left out in the front.  I purchased this product on Black Friday and she shipped it pretty quickly.  At first I regretted this purchase because I read plenty of bad reviews and looking at the ingredients, it is not a moisturizer as I originally though.  But on several occasions, on dry hair, wet hair, with another moisturizer under it, this stuff moisturize and locks in the moisture when using a product designed as a moisturizer.  Plus it leave my hair so soft and pliable.  It also makes a pretty awesome twisting creme for my hair type. 

For me it beats out the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie by light years.  Don't get me wrong I love the concept behind Shea Moisture and I wanna love the Smoothie but that stuff is so waxy on my hair.  But I love the smell.  Maybe it is because of winter that it is not working for me (the Smoothie).  But this Darcy's product is a definite repurchase for me.

Update: I no longer use this product and honestly I haven't used this product in years.  What turned me off from using this product is the alcohol note in the vanilla that was overwhelming the warm smell of vanilla.  Also this product tends to leave my hair hard and stiff and not really the best for locking in moisture in the hair.  Even when I let the product age and the bourbon smell subsided, the texture of this product just does not mesh well with my hair.  I will use the rest of this product as a foot butter and never purchase it again.
ichoose2believe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ichoose2believe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:06am
OMG I love this Conditioner. ((Shea Moisture Restorative)) 

I am a newbie (and transitioning to natural) but I have been co-washing with VO5 Silk Milk Strawberry and Cream and then following up with this. My hair feel so nice. 

Edited by ichoose2believe - May 19 2014 at 9:07am
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ennoed ennoed wrote:

Organix Anti-Breakage Serum

Hair texture/type:  3C
How did you use the product:  serum
Overall satisfaction (scale of 1 to 5): StarStarStarStarStar

This is the only serum that has made my hair super super super soft with great shine!  It's hard to keep my hands out of my hair whenever I use this stuff.  It's PERFECT for roller setting - my hair is unbelievably soft and lightweight whenever I roller set with it.  It has light protein in it, but it works fine on my protein-sensitive relaxed ends (transitioning).  It smells great too!

This product line is like...my lifesaver.

The conditioner makes your hair SOOOOOOOO soft, and the anti-breakage serum just adds to that feeling of butter.  PLUS it all smells soooooooooo good!  I heard they make body washes in this scent too--I'm off to Ulta this week to get some!
DiscoveringNatural View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscoveringNatural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 11:25am
SheaMoisture SuperFruit Complex 10-in-1 Renewal System.

Here is my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jUrY0MYsg&index=1&list=PLCT7rEmj0Xky6XuOXgit_biwollZj4HXI - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5jUrY0MYsg&index=1&list=PLCT7rEmj0Xky6XuOXgit_biwollZj4HXI

Go to DiscoveringNatural on Youtube to see video if link does not work.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 535455
  Share Topic