BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hair Product Review Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 52535455>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:39pm
Don't Know if some one has mentioned CURL-KIT already but please pm me for link... promo code for 10% off! curl-kit-giveaway-on-black-bridal-bliss.jpg (1950×900)
Sponsored Links

Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 9:39pm
Oyin Handmade's Burnt sugar pomade>>>>

Great product. I used it to seal and to slick my hair into a bun as well. With the money, leaves your hair super soft

Also Texture my way's easy comb is the best detangler/leave in I've ever used. I have kinky curly but it's crap to me, doesn't help much with detangling while the texturemy way detangles as soon as I put it on my hair and it's moisturizing

Edited by Journey94 - Mar 06 2014 at 9:41pm
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

So I was at Walmart a few weeks ago restocking my co wash conditioner and happened across this other natural doing the same thing.  So of course we struck up a conversation about the products that we love and hate and I told her that my fine strands don't like anything and don't retain moisture very well.  She recommended the above product which naturally was NOT at the Walmart so I kinda forgot about this until I went to Walgreen's..........yeah this is long winded.  I love this stuff and I hate it too.  I love the amazing slip and moisture but it does leave my hair rather dull looking and when it dries there is a sprinkling of dried product in my hair.  Must use hair polisher after applying.  I give it 3 out of 5 stars. 

I liked this. My issue is it smells terrible, I can't deal. It isn't the best product but I think it's a better product than their 10 in 1 gelee or whatever it's called. I actually didn't notice the dull look, I applied my Curl Junkie Curls in a bottle right after and the what gave me the shine. I use that after ever cream styler. I give it a 3 as well. Good but not a repurchase because of the terrible smellthat gives me a headache
vijohngroup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vijohngroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:54am
http://www.vijohngroup.com/hc-ayurvedic-almond-hair-oil.asp - VI-John Almond Drops Hair Oil : It transforms thin and damaged hair into shiny, scintillating locks. With high elements of Vitamin E, Vitamin D, magnesium and calcium, its 100% damage-free and provides nourishment from root to tip sand prevents split-ends. With additional natural ingredients like amla and bhringaraja, it reduces hair fall and removes dandruff, resulting in thick, long and lustrous hair.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 10:37am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

These products are very moisturizing and only require very little to make my hair manageable, assuming it is reasonably detangled beforehand. I used both of these for a flexirod set and yes I did leave the consitioner in. Not to take anything away from the line because it is meant to be a restorative, repairing line, but my set was not crisp/smooth and did not last very long at all. I do not consider that a negative because once again this line is not about maintaining an artificial style but about imparting and preserving moisture. I like how my hair fluffed up and it still feels soft. It is just as stretched but without the definition. So I would definitely recommend this line, but not if you're going for a defined look that is not incorporating your natural curls. But if you don't care about definition or will be wearing your own curl pattern this one's a winner.

Unfortunately I can't edit this review but let's just say I retract this review until further notice. I should have written the review after a few days to a week of use and not just a few hours. After a few days this left my hair brittle. DeadDead It was horrible. I shudder to think how much damage my hair incurred that week. Now I will give Shea Moisture the benefit of the doubt and say maybe something about the conditioner makes it unsuitable as a leave in because it's not labeled as a leave in. I will try this again once my hair recovers but for now use at your own risk. I'm putting my hair away in braids for two months after this fiasco.
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 6:28pm
MJ's Jelly Soft Curls is trash, I hate deceiving products. You apply it and think it's about be a great styler & feels soft but the next day completely dry it dried my hair out and made it straw feeling. Can't really explain it, I pairedit with a bunch of other products and alone since December but still not working for me
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 4:20am

These products are very moisturizing and only require very little to make my hair manageable, assuming it is reasonably detangled beforehand. I used both of these for a flexirod set and yes I did leave the consitioner in. Not to take anything away from the line because it is meant to be a restorative, repairing line, but my set was not crisp/smooth and did not last very long at all. I do not consider that a negative because once again this line is not about maintaining an artificial style but about imparting and preserving moisture. I like how my hair fluffed up and it still feels soft. It is just as stretched but without the definition. So I would definitely recommend this line, but not if you're going for a defined look that is not incorporating your natural curls. But if you don't care about definition or will be wearing your own curl pattern this one's a winner.

Unfortunately I can't edit this review but let's just say I retract this review until further notice. I should have written the review after a few days to a week of use and not just a few hours. After a few days this left my hair brittle. DeadDead It was horrible. I shudder to think how much damage my hair incurred that week. Now I will give Shea Moisture the benefit of the doubt and say maybe something about the conditioner makes it unsuitable as a leave in because it's not labeled as a leave in. I will try this again once my hair recovers but for now use at your own risk. I'm putting my hair away in braids for two months after this fiasco.

I would say try it again when it is warmer.  For me when I used this product, I had horrible results when I used it in the winter.  In the summer it was much better but not enough to repurchase it.  Another reason could be that it is protein rich and your hair might be a bit protein sensitive.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 2:51pm
I looked at the label. Which ingredients indicate protein? And yeah I was gonna give it another shot just to say I gave it a fair shake.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 7:30pm

I looked at the label. Which ingredients indicate protein? And yeah I was gonna give it another shot just to say I gave it a fair shake.

Shea moisture restorative conditioner:

Ingredients: Deionized water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)*, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil*, Behentrimonium Chloride, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil
*Certified Organic Ingredients

SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Sugar Starch, Silk Protein, Essential Oil Blend, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitol Esters, Algae Extract, Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hibiscus Flower Extract
*Certified Organic Ingredient

I bolded some of the ingredients that i think u may want to look into your hair not liking, and bolded the main points I made below so it's easier to read (since it's a lot). There is actually protein in the curl and style milk, it's silk protein. If your hair is low porosity, it's likely an ingredient your hair does not like, or you are protein sensitive.

It's also possible your hair is being dried out from the vegetable glycerin in the conditioner. Since you are using it in the winter especially, it's likely the vegetable glycerin is pulling moisture out of your hair and into the atmosphere. That's why if i were using a product with glycerin in it, it wouldn't be something i would leave in my hair. The conditions have to be right for it to do what it's supposed to do, which is pull moisture out of the air and into your hair-- that isn't going to happen during the winter months, it's too dry and cold. A lot of products have glycerin in them, which is one of the reasons many naturals complain about the winter weather drying their hair out and even causing breakage.  If you had to use this conditioner, I would only use it as a cowash, if at all. Maybe it will help pull the steam from the shower in to your hair?

Many people use glycerin and believe their hair "likes" it , just b/c it makes the hair feel soft temporarily. They may live or be in a humid enough environment, but I believe a lot of the time, the water that's being pulled toward the hair just kind of sits on the hair shaft. The oil is a sealant, no more moisture is going to properly be absorbed into the hair shaft after you apply it. Your hair is going to feel soft while the water is on it, but eventually the water will evaporate into the atmosphere with out your hair having drunk from it, leaving a dry, greasy, brittle feeling. This could happen anywhere from a few hours, to a couple of days.

Aside from that, maybe your hair doesn't not like coconut oil? Have u noticed any dryness from using coconut oil on your hair? For some, it acts like a protein, others like it, you could check into that.

As for panthenol, my understanding is that this is a light kind of protein, and paired with another protein ingredient, it can make the hair feel gummy, and also build up on the hair, which causes dryness.

Solution:
I understand when people have a problem with their hair, they want to jump into a protective style, but I believe the main problem here is your hair is dry. Putting your hair in braids right now may worsen the situation, or not do anything to improve it. What I would do is clarify my hair with a baking soda rinse (maybe 2 teaspoons bakingsoda, 1/3 cup of conditioner, and a little water, leave it on for 20-30 mins) and then I would rinse it out, section and apply some slightly watered down conditioner in my hair and GHE/DC for a couple of days. I would wear one of those fancy scarf protective styles to hide my shower cap from public viewing eye when i go out. Do it for maybe 2 days straight with out taking it off.

You won't get moisture overload, moisture overload should really be called not enough protein syndrome, because low porosity and pretty much all hair imo does not absorb water endlessly like a sponge. If it was like that, we wouldn't have frizz or dryness. Moisture overload happens when there isn't enough protein in your hair, which clearly isn't the problem here. Proof of that is the super softness you feel will go away once you hair is exposed to the air and all the excess unabsorbed water has evaporated into the atmosphere.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 15 2014 at 10:28pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Journey94 Journey94 wrote:

MJ's Jelly Soft Curls is trash, I hate deceiving products. You apply it and think it's about be a great styler & feels soft but the next day completely dry it dried my hair out and made it straw feeling. Can't really explain it, I pairedit with a bunch of other products and alone since December but still not working for me

Jelly soft curls ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Glycerin, PVP, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Aminomethyl Propanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

I bolded the ingredients that are probably an issue for you in this product. See by reply to liesnalibis above for info about glycerin.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 15 2014 at 8:50pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 52535455>