FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Hair Nightmare (shed+break=setbacks)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
gdrea33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdrea33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 12:47am
Originally posted by bellacnella bellacnella wrote:

Originally posted by gdrea33 gdrea33 wrote:

Ladies,

I'm about 14 weeks post relaxer and my hair is falling out like crazy.  I have breakage AND shedding and I don't know what to do. First I thought it was too much protein.  I clarified and stopped using protein-based products.  The problem has not improved.  I have NO idea what to do now but I feel like I can't get a touch up until I figure this out.  However, I am running out of protective style ideas that do not involve a bun (too much pulling on my hair) and my hair is very hard to manage in this state.  I also stopped co-washing because I thought it was too much manipulation.  when I detangle it seems like I'm ripping my hair out.  I want to cry when I see the comb. 

I am really bummed.  The front of my hair was SL and now its to my eyebrows.  I have no idea what's happening to my hair but I am seriously at the point where I want to chop it all off.  All the progress I've made is now down the drain (literally).  No idea where to go from here but I desperately need your help/advice.

which conditioner do you use when you cowash?  I would detangle with some aussie 2 min miracle....lots of it...put it in plats.  Also, what is your hairtype and is this your first time stretching this long?
I usually co-wash with the VO-5 but I recently threw it out.  I haven't co-washed in a couple of weeks now.  I was afraid it was too much manipulation.  I used to use Aussie 2 min condish - shold get back on that. 

My hair type is 4b.  This is the longest I've stretched.  Maybe I'm stretching too long? 

One thing that may have lead to the breakage at the crown - when I went to Europe back in May I wore wigs about 80% of the time.  I think the wig combs may have pulled the front of my hair too much.  But the shedding...not sure how to explain that.
Sponsored Links

gdrea33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdrea33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 12:49am

if you take garlic pills that will help with the shedding.  doing an oil rinse may also be beneficial (i have never actually done one myself)

I just went to GNC and picked up 500 mg odorless garlic pills.  *Crossing fingers* 

I've read about oil rinses but it seems too messy to do...?  What is the benefit of doing those?
samorya View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samorya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 1:28am
Originally posted by gdrea33 gdrea33 wrote:

if you take garlic pills that will help with the shedding.  doing an oil rinse may also be beneficial (i have never actually done one myself)

I just went to GNC and picked up 500 mg odorless garlic pills.  *Crossing fingers* 

I've read about oil rinses but it seems too messy to do...?  What is the benefit of doing those?
refer to this thread.

oil rinses are actually good. i used it once when my hair was shedding really bad.

also like one person just mentioned, putting ur hair in plaits is a good idea. i would plait it and hide it for at least 2 weeks after doing the oil rinse. longer if u can manage.

this will allow ur hair time to heal.

trust me, i have been where u r toooooo many times. i know the feeling u have!!!
DarkBrown View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2011 at 1:02pm
garlic shampoo, less manipulation, more moisture
starkzmaiden22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starkzmaiden22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 12:23am
I'm roughly 6months n2 my journey for healthier hair and I think I've hit a road block.  When I began this journey I had hair just over chin length and prior to this road block my hair was growing and experiencing almost no breakage.  At the time I was using a variety of diff products (by no means inclusive, somewhat of a product junkie Smile : Shampoos--Ion Moisturizing Shampoo, Ion Clarifying Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo, Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo, and Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair; Conditioners--Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Conditioner, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, Generic Moisturizing Conditioner (Nexxus), and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner; Deep Conditioners--Mixture of Vo5 Moisture Milk and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner or Generic Moisturizing Conditioner (Nexxus), Leave-In Conditioners/Moisturizers--Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic and Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In Conditioner; Treatments--Ion Effective Care Treatment, Ion Moisturizing Treatment, Aphogee 2-Min Reconstructor, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor, and Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment; Daily Moisturizers--Luster's S-Curl Moisturizer and Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer; and Sealants--Mixture of Castor, Grapeseed, and Jojoba Oil.

Normal Routine:
(1) Wash hair every 3-4 days w/ moisturizing shampoo
(2) Condition w/ a moisturizing conditioner
(3) Deep condition every 2 wks w/ mixture of V05 and a deep moisturizing conditioner (I don't usually sit under the dryer, mostly letting deep conditioner stay in overnight)
(4) Apply a leave-in moisturizer, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor, and Fantasia Heat Protectant
(5) Let hair dry 50% before blow drying on med heat
(6) Apply half size of dime amount of One 'n Only Argan Oil
(7) Flat iron hair
(8) Moisturize w/ Luster's S-Curl Moisturizer
(9) Seal w/ mixture of castor, grapeseed, and jojoba oil
(10) Wrap scarf over edges and apply bonnet

I wear my hair in ponytail 5 days of the week, apply heat only after washing, and moisturize and seal 2x/day (once in morning and again at night). 

As I mentioned earlier I've been experiencing some breakage.  I'm not sure if this plays a part but I am now stationed in South Korea and weather is REALLY humid.  I'm wondering if the humidity is causing my hair to be overly moisturized.  Another concern is the humidity is of course causing my hair to sweat ALOT and I find that when my hair sweats it gets hard when it drys--when this occurs I try to compensate by apply a moisturizer but my hair doesn't respond to it.  So I've been washing my hair more often to avoid the rough feel.  I find that my hair breaks more when it's dirty or when it's hard.  Also, I'm 2months post relaxer and plan on stretching for a total of 6months or longer (trying to decide on whether or not to go all natural).

One of my MAJOR concerns is that the front of my hair is breaking more than any other section.  I wear my ponytail w/ a part down the middle and when I tie my hair up at night I put the scarf on my hair as if I still have the ponytail in but I take out the ponytail holder.  So now I'm tying my hair up w/ the front of my hair combed back in order to fight the breakage. 

I just washed my hair today. Below are the products I used:
(1) Deep conditioned w/ V05 Moisture Milk and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner overnight
(2) Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment followed by Aphogee Moisture Treatment
(3) Carol's Daughter Blk Vanilla Herbal Shampoo
(4) Carol's Daughter Blk Vanilla Hair Smoothie
(5) Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
(6) Mix of Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic and Glycerin
(7) Fantasia Heat Protectant
(8) Half dime size amount of One 'n Only Argan Oil
(9) Silken Child Silk Moisturizing Creme
(10) Sealed w/ Jojoba oil
***Blow dried hair 50% dry on med heat and flat ironed***

Please help!!! Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated as I am still fairly new to this. My hair is currently shoulder length mostly except for the front of my head where the most breakage is occurring.  Also, I do not apply oil to my scalp.
Karma88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karma88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2011 at 9:21pm
the same thing happened to me because my hair was over processed and I didnt know what to do so I got a sew in. The hair at the nape of my neck grew back and is a lot thicker and stronger as well as my roots through out my hair, the olive oil I used helped as well and the lack of manipulation kept my hair from the continuation of hair just breaking off.  
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 4:40am
Originally posted by starkzmaiden22 starkzmaiden22 wrote:

I'm roughly 6months n2 my journey for healthier hair and I think I've hit a road block.  When I began this journey I had hair just over chin length and prior to this road block my hair was growing and experiencing almost no breakage.  At the time I was using a variety of diff products (by no means inclusive, somewhat of a product junkie Smile : Shampoos--Ion Moisturizing Shampoo, Ion Clarifying Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo, Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo, and Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair; Conditioners--Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Conditioner, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, Generic Moisturizing Conditioner (Nexxus), and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner; Deep Conditioners--Mixture of Vo5 Moisture Milk and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner or Generic Moisturizing Conditioner (Nexxus), Leave-In Conditioners/Moisturizers--Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic and Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In Conditioner; Treatments--Ion Effective Care Treatment, Ion Moisturizing Treatment, Aphogee 2-Min Reconstructor, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor, and Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment; Daily Moisturizers--Luster's S-Curl Moisturizer and Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer; and Sealants--Mixture of Castor, Grapeseed, and Jojoba Oil.

Normal Routine:
(1) Wash hair every 3-4 days w/ moisturizing shampoo
(2) Condition w/ a moisturizing conditioner
(3) Deep condition every 2 wks w/ mixture of V05 and a deep moisturizing conditioner (I don't usually sit under the dryer, mostly letting deep conditioner stay in overnight)
(4) Apply a leave-in moisturizer, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor, and Fantasia Heat Protectant
(5) Let hair dry 50% before blow drying on med heat
(6) Apply half size of dime amount of One 'n Only Argan Oil
(7) Flat iron hair
(8) Moisturize w/ Luster's S-Curl Moisturizer
(9) Seal w/ mixture of castor, grapeseed, and jojoba oil
(10) Wrap scarf over edges and apply bonnet

I wear my hair in ponytail 5 days of the week, apply heat only after washing, and moisturize and seal 2x/day (once in morning and again at night). 

As I mentioned earlier I've been experiencing some breakage.  I'm not sure if this plays a part but I am now stationed in South Korea and weather is REALLY humid.  I'm wondering if the humidity is causing my hair to be overly moisturized.  Another concern is the humidity is of course causing my hair to sweat ALOT and I find that when my hair sweats it gets hard when it drys--when this occurs I try to compensate by apply a moisturizer but my hair doesn't respond to it.  So I've been washing my hair more often to avoid the rough feel.  I find that my hair breaks more when it's dirty or when it's hard.  Also, I'm 2months post relaxer and plan on stretching for a total of 6months or longer (trying to decide on whether or not to go all natural).

One of my MAJOR concerns is that the front of my hair is breaking more than any other section.  I wear my ponytail w/ a part down the middle and when I tie my hair up at night I put the scarf on my hair as if I still have the ponytail in but I take out the ponytail holder.  So now I'm tying my hair up w/ the front of my hair combed back in order to fight the breakage. 

I just washed my hair today. Below are the products I used:
(1) Deep conditioned w/ V05 Moisture Milk and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner overnight
(2) Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment followed by Aphogee Moisture Treatment
(3) Carol's Daughter Blk Vanilla Herbal Shampoo
(4) Carol's Daughter Blk Vanilla Hair Smoothie
(5) Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
(6) Mix of Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic and Glycerin
(7) Fantasia Heat Protectant
(8) Half dime size amount of One 'n Only Argan Oil
(9) Silken Child Silk Moisturizing Creme
(10) Sealed w/ Jojoba oil
***Blow dried hair 50% dry on med heat and flat ironed***

Please help!!! Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated as I am still fairly new to this. My hair is currently shoulder length mostly except for the front of my head where the most breakage is occurring.  Also, I do not apply oil to my scalp.

Wow you use a lot of products. I would start by cutting back on the amount of products that you use. I would also incorporate shea butter to seal in moisture to your hair. And you mentioned you apply more moisturizer when your hair is dry, but your hair doesn't respond to it. Instead of applying more product, just spray your hair with some spring or mineral water to add moisture. Happy hair journey!!!!!!
DarkBrown View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 12:34pm
castor oil is great too
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12