Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hair length plateau?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Do you notice broken hairs while styling?

Unless you have a health condition, retention is your issue. When was the last time you reevaluated the products you are using?

My hair hates shea butter and although Aussie moist was good as a cowash conditioner, as a leave in- there are better options out here (because of the cones in it).

I am starting over as a natural (I have ~1 inch of natural hair- BCd on 1.1.14) and this time around I am 86ing the henna/cassia/indigo etc. They were just too drying for my 4b hair.

What powders are you using? I know my hair sis MzSwift uses and loves her powders, and her hair does great with them.

Yea I do but not much..like less than a pea size (if that makes sense)
I think retention too but I don't understand why it grows to a certain point and then stops? If it was retention wouldn't it be hard to grow at all? Maybe I don't understand retention fully

My hair lovesss aussie moist and shea butter, especially together. Maybe I'll try a new leave in- any recommendations?

I use this one called Sukesh cuz it contains all the powders in one

I've even evaluated the shedding and it's fine, normal. I'm really stumped lol.I don't use henna (only when dyeing, which was only once)...my powder has cassia obvota, amla, neem, aloe vera, brahmi, bhringaj, and shikakai powders in one
Sponsored Links

mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Try styles that require minimal daily manipulation like twists or puffs. Twistouts and braidouts leave your ends out and you have to reset them every night correct? Also, what kind of combs do you use? Believe it or not, you really don't have to use combs and you lose a lot less hair with finger detangling.

yup do that all the time lol...usually if I do twistouts or braidouts i don't reset until after 3 days or so...I use my hands mostly (i have a large tooth comb I use sometimes) and I use my denman every now and then but mostly hands
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:27am
Are you willing to go on a protective style challenge and see if that helps? Your hair will have no choice but to grow. By a challenge I mean a long term set of twists, braids, etc, with occasional no-heat length checks. Like put in some twists and keep them for a few weeks, and when you take them out immediately redo them. You'll have to notice growth.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:29am
You won't lose any excess hair while washing and you can wash and condition as often as you want without worrying about styling and you will bypass the manipulation by only styling every few weeks. Easy to keep your hair moisturized and treated without worrying about reversion, etc.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:29am

Are you willing to go on a protective style challenge and see if that helps? Your hair will have no choice but to grow. By a challenge I mean a long term set of twists, braids, etc, with occasional no-heat length checks. Like put in some twists and keep them for a few weeks, and when you take them out immediately redo them. You'll have to notice growth.

hells yes i would be lol....i want to do that now anyway cuz it's winter..just gotta be careful of the edges lol
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:30am
i will try that, thanks 
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:37am
Decide how long you want the challenge to be and stick to it. Like three or six months at least. I started last month. It really helped with my hands-in-hair syndrome I was developing. 

I noticed my retention was much better the year before I big chopped. Because of the texture difference my hair was always stowed away in wigs, weaves, and braids/twists. After my big chop I always wore my hair out and loose. I'm trying to protective style this year and see what difference in retention I notice.

Edited by liesnalibis - Jan 13 2014 at 11:38am
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:40am
Do you keep your hair stretched ? I notice that my hair grows alot more when stretched than when I wet bun it because detangling is much easier.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Do you keep your hair stretched ? I notice that my hair grows alot more when stretched than when I wet bun it because detangling is much easier.

yup!...i like it more stretched...by that u mean twists/braids etc? when i do buns i stretch it too
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:42am

Decide how long you want the challenge to be and stick to it. Like three or six months at least. I started last month. It really helped with my hands-in-hair syndrome I was developing. 

I noticed my retention was much better the year before I big chopped. Because of the texture difference my hair was always stowed away in wigs, weaves, and braids/twists. After my big chop I always wore my hair out and loose. I'm trying to protective style this year and see what difference in retention I notice.

good idea, i will try, thank u!

do u protective style with extensions too?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic