Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Hair length plateau?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair length plateau?
    Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:52am
So I've been natural now for 2-3 years after big chopping in 2011 and leaving wigs alone this time last year...I've never taken as good care of my hair as I've done in the last few years

However, I noticed (since I was little) that my hair always reaches this plateau of length which reaches the top of my shoulders (when stretched Ermm) and moreso looks like it touches my neck when straightened....

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Am I doomed to never  have longer hair? Please tell me this can be fixed and I must be doing something wrong Cry

Here is a pic...my hair never gets past this point:

Sponsored Links

yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 10:59am
Are you protective styling.. and what does your regimen look like?

Feel free to include products Smile
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:01am
I'm pretty sure that's not possible. I notice in both pics your hair is straightened. have you ever tried just leaving it alone--no heat, blow outs, trims, etc? Do you ever wear natural styles?
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:05am
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Are you protective styling.. and what does your regimen look like?

Feel free to include products Smile
 i usually do ponytails and twists or braids

i use Indian Ayurvedic powders as deep conditioners...I mix with aussie moist for my deep conditioner

and for my leave in i use aussie moist and shea butter

I wash/deep condition once a week (i use acv as shampoo)
might cowash during the week

wash, moisturize, seal, protective style for the week...leave alone
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:06am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. I notice in both pics your hair is straightened. have you ever tried just leaving it alone--no heat, blow outs, trims, etc? Do you ever wear natural styles?

the pics were taken 20 minutes from each other, i only used heat that once to do a length check (blow dryed and straightened)

other than that i never use heat (said that in the op)

I trim because I have to (once ever 3 months)...my hair is natural so when the weather isn't crazy cold I do twistouts, braidouts, etc
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:08am
it's so weird...it grows so well up until the shoulder length then it's such a hassle....even when I didnt care of it at all it grew ... so i don't understand the problem now
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

the pics were taken 20 minutes from each other, i only used heat that once to do a length check (blow dryed and straightened)

I trim because I have to (once ever 3 months)...my hair is natural so when the weather isn't crazy cold I do twistouts, braidouts, etc

You did? Well anyway, how much are you cutting off when you trim? I don't think you have to trim your hair every three months. A lot of naturals only trim two to three times a year.

Edited by liesnalibis - Jan 13 2014 at 11:17am
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:14am
Do you notice broken hairs while styling?

Unless you have a health condition, retention is your issue. When was the last time you reevaluated the products you are using?

My hair hates shea butter and although Aussie moist was good as a cowash conditioner, as a leave in- there are better options out here (because of the cones in it).

I am starting over as a natural (I have ~1 inch of natural hair- BCd on 1.1.14) and this time around I am 86ing the henna/cassia/indigo etc. They were just too drying for my 4b hair.

What powders are you using? I know my hair sis MzSwift uses and loves her powders, and her hair does great with them.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:14am

Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

You did? Well anyway, now much are you cutting off when you trim. I don't think you have to trim your hair every three months. A lot of naturals only trim two to three times a year.

lol i realized i deleted that part....my bad...I was going to say it under the picture

I don't cut a lot...probably half a centimeter
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2014 at 11:14am
Try styles that require minimal daily manipulation like twists or puffs. Twistouts and braidouts leave your ends out and you have to reset them every night correct? Also, what kind of combs do you use? Believe it or not, you really don't have to use combs and you lose a lot less hair with finger detangling.

Edited by liesnalibis - Jan 13 2014 at 11:16am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic