Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hair Help

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lawbutterfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawbutterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Help
    Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 11:14pm
In 2011 I managed to get a lot of good growth by wearing sew-in weaves and wigs combined with a good dc regiment. When I graduated law school I decided to see how long my hair had really gotten and got a relaxer... The first one in over a year. My hair immediately starting breaking off again so I went back to braids and sew ins to attempt damage control. Fast forward to 2012 and my hair was still breaking to the point where it had to be cut down to a Caesar just to even out the length. I started wearing glueless wigs to give it a break (I dont have time to keep applying the glue every night and I sweat too much for tape). The cut was in July. As of now I only have about an inch or so of growth and the glueless wigs cut into my hair slowing that progress. I can't wear my natural hair out in a fro or anything (corporate law... I'd never get hired) but I have yet to find a stylist who can install braids or a sew-in that doesn't leave huge obvious gaps or start coming out the next day. I actually had a stylist use this black sandy stuff to grip my hair!

I would call my hair a very soft 4b (braids slide the next day, cornrows turn into a frizzy mess within a week, curls don't hold for an hour...)

I'm just at a loss for what to do. The easy answer is to shave it off and keep wearing wigs, but the idea of always having to worry about it falling off or getting uncomfortable at work (plus the wind and always having to stay in the mirror to make sure a tab or flap isn't showing...) I really want to get to a place where I can wear my hair heat straightened for work (or a curly nonfro style that will look lawyer-like) but I can't handle this short ish sitting on my head! I cry every time I look at it because there's nothing I can do with it and I feel like going to a braid shop is just throwing my money away.

Any ideas about styles I can use besides the default answer of twists that I can wear out and still look corporate while I'm waiting for my hair to grow?   
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 7:56am
Hey Law! (((HUGS))) First, relax and breathe. Second, use that intellect and look at your hair situation logically. Right now, you WANT your hair to do and be something that it can't be at the moment. You already stated that braids aren't really working, so throw them out of the equation for now. Third, your hair is short right now and your limited to the styles you can wear right now. Plus, you feel that you can't get hired with a short do since your in corporate America. I'll agree to disagree, but respect your insight on that one. I know you said that you don't want to fall bback with twists, and wigs and such. But, right now they seem like your best option.

By having your hair in a protective style (with your own hair) under your wigs, you have more ease at getting to your hair to moisturize and care for your hair. Plus, your not stressing your hair with heavy extensions that seem to not stay in and wastes your money. Have you ever considered a weave where you can still moisturize and care for your hair? There are tons of threads in the Growth section about ladies that have successfully grown healthy hair while wearing weaves. The key is to care for your own hair while in the weave.

You spoke alot about breakage as well. Do you have any protein products in your reggie? Do you have a reggie? It may be time to reassess the reggie to fix ya hair issues. How is your diet? Take any vitamins? So many variables play a part in this hair game. Alot of the times small tweaks yield huge results! I hope this helped you and you can get your hair where you want it to be with proper care, realistic goals, and patience. YOU WILL HAVE THE HAIR YOU WANTBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawbutterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 6:52pm
Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm wearing a glueless with three combs on the front. My hair isn't growing, even with the Biotin supplements my mom sent me. What's worse, is that there is a spot on the very top of my head that doesn't seem like it's grown at all, while the rest of my hair is between a half an inch and an inch. I still think that's ridiculously slow growth for almost seven months.

It's always dry, even the next morning after I've washed it. Like, crunchy dry. Washing it makes it feel soft, until I put a scarf on and then the next morning it's just matted to my head and crunchy again. I wash it every two weeks, and put conditioner on it once a week. I also have this Aveda 'damage control' spray that somebody gave me once before that I spray on it occasionally. (it's expensive, and I don't want to run out). The last time I got any decent growth out of my hair was when I was wearing lace wigs (not the glueless kind) and sew-ins. Back then I was using Infusium 23 as a DC and the Aveda spray occasionally. Back then it was long enough to cornrow, but it isn't long enough for that this time. I've resigned to having this random bald spot, since I can't go to work without the wig on, and the wig is causing the bald spot.

I guess now I'm wondering if I should be moisturing more often, even though most people on here don't seem to put anything on except once a week. I keep it tied up or under a stocking cap if I'm not actively checking the length or putting stuff on it.
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:32pm

Maybe if you tell us where your at someone can recommend a stylist in you area

Now for your hair not growing-

It's growing... You are not retaining length
What products are you using to wash your hair? Do you use shampoo? Conditioner only? Did you get any relaxer burns from your last relaxer?
It seems as though your hair is not properly moisturized.
After you wash your hair what EXACTLY do you do? Do you detangling? Do you deep condition?
Visit the growth section... The ladies there are super helpful (you might get overwhelmed ) but they mean well.

Trust when I say I came to BHM with no edges (due to glued in weaves) thin , damaged, weak hair that was "unmanageable". I used to say my hair won't grow.
Almost 2 years later... I have achieved a length (APL) that I have never ever been due in part to wearing sew ins (I know they are not for everyone)

You will have to do some research, scour threads, YouTube videos, but you WILL find your way.
We are here for you ((HUGS))
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 9:20am
Law, I agree with darlin about your moisturization. It doesn't sound like your hair is getting enough. If its dry and crunchy that's a sure sign u need moisture. You said you moisturize once daily. You may need to moisturize more often. Do you dc? Dc'ing on a regular basis helps infuse the hair with moisture. Check your products and make sure you have more moisture rich ingredients listed first rather than protein.

What type of scarf are you using? If its cotton, it can dry out your hair. So all the moisturization is sucked out. Are you sealing in your mousture with a butter or grease?

The bald or thin part of your hair needs a break from the comb of the wig- too much friction. You will need to baby that atea. Ladies have reported good results with using castor oil for thinning/bald spots. Peppermint oil stimulates growth. Cayenne Pepper and Sulfur does as well.

Yup, like darlin said there's alot of info in Growth, so come on up and check it out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawbutterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 7:34pm
Thanks to you both! Are ladies talking about that same castor oil my grandmomma used to give me when I was little that works pretty much like citromagnesia?

Ok, here's what I had been doing. I guess I'll admit that I never had a 'nightly' routine.. there was just never time for it. I was either constantly on the go or too tired, and it was a good night if I managed to find my scarf and put it on before crashing. Recently, I've been putting some frizz-ease leave-in condish or GroWorks 'Stop Breakage' on it when it gets too crunchy. I don't have a relaxer, I got it cut in July because of a bald spot and thinning. Long story short this past spring was not very kind, and I went from having hair long enough to braid, to having hair to the point where I tried 'tree braids' to suddenly having a bald spot and needing a lace frontal with my sew-in because the cornrows left a hole in the middle of my head. So, remembering previously that my hair grew pretty well with a full lace wig, I got one, but not having the materials to glue one on myself (plus not having the patience for it needing to be reglued every morning because the Virginia humidity would ruin the attachment no matter what steps I took to try and keep an application for longer than a day), I went glueless. In the beginning I would rinse my hair every evening, but then I moved and started working 10 hour days and there went any semblance of a routine.

For the past few months this has been what I've been using. TRESemme Curl Hydration shampoo and condish, Frizz-Ease Leave In Condish, and Aveda Damage Control, sparingly, since it's expensive and I don't want to use it all up.

I guess I DC once a week or once every two weeks, I never really kept up with it, and what I did varied on what I had time for. Sometimes I would put the GroWorks or the TRESemme on, put a plastic cap on and go to sleep, but because my schedule changes from week to week, it's hard to put that kind of thing on my g-cal and have it happen like clockwork.   I get the feeling I probably need protien as well, but I have no clue.

FWIW, I don't detangle much, since every time I touch my hair I come away with pieces of it all over my hands, like not full strands, but looking like barber-shop trimmings with little loops and straight pieces and stuff that literally looks like trimmings. I don't have long enough hair for split ends.... I really don't know. For most of my life either my mom did my hair, or I got a style that would take me five minutes to fix in the morning as I was running out the door.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawbutterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 7:36pm
Oh, I forgot to mention that anything I did was maybe two or three times a week.. I'm getting the impression that's not enough, but with my schedule I don't really have two or three hours to spare sitting under a conditioning cap every night...
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2013 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by lawbutterfly lawbutterfly wrote:

Oh, I forgot to mention that anything I did was maybe two or three times a week.. I'm getting the impression that's not enough, but with my schedule I don't really have two or three hours to spare sitting under a conditioning cap every night...
Check out the Braid, Retain and growth method, this will work wonders for your hair if you follow all the steps. http://www.coilyqueensrock.com/2013/01/msvees-braid-retain-grow-haircare-method.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawbutterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 11:15pm
Thanks for the tip Vee, but the method in the video won't help me much because I don't know how to install my own braids....

Right now I'm trying to remember to wash and condition my hair more than once a week, and I've stopped wearing the wig cap to bed. I noticed the last time I conditioned (a mix of Aussie Moist and Olive Oil), that my sides are actually pretty well off in length, it's just the top that isn't growing. So I cut the comb out of the top of the wig I've been wearing, and also I don't wear it unless I'm at work or at church. I guess now I just need to try and keep my ends from breaking.

Although I noticed in my last wash (Wednesday) that my shampoo seems to make my hair feel rough as soon as it's rinsed out.

Thanks ladies! Does anybody have a good leave-in that I can wear under my wig cap to keep my hair soft and moisturized throughout the day?
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 5:33am
Originally posted by lawbutterfly lawbutterfly wrote:

Thanks for the tip Vee, but the method in the video won't help me much because I don't know how to install my own braids....

Right now I'm trying to remember to wash and condition my hair more than once a week, and I've stopped wearing the wig cap to bed. I noticed the last time I conditioned (a mix of Aussie Moist and Olive Oil), that my sides are actually pretty well off in length, it's just the top that isn't growing. So I cut the comb out of the top of the wig I've been wearing, and also I don't wear it unless I'm at work or at church. I guess now I just need to try and keep my ends from breaking.

Although I noticed in my last wash (Wednesday) that my shampoo seems to make my hair feel rough as soon as it's rinsed out.

Thanks ladies! Does anybody have a good leave-in that I can wear under my wig cap to keep my hair soft and moisturized throughout the day?
You are welcome. But mines is an article not a video, so maybe you got another site. The Braid Retain and Grow method is for anyone wearing any type of braids whether it be natural braids under a wig or extensions. I have worked with braids for over 25 years and come up with a regimen which will help you retain the most length while your hair is braided in any type of braids. The regimen is not only for extensions. There is a certain amount of protection you need to give your hair when we choose to braid it up and wear something on top of it for a period of time. There are certain things you can do to protect your hair, so you retain the most growth....I wore braids in the 80's and I would wear them for 3 months take them out and then rebraid my hair. Throughout the years my hair grew longer but it also experienced lots of breakage which effected the thickness of my hair and even sometimes damaging my ends, so although it grew long the ends would be damaged so I would have to cut them. I would comb out lots of hair during my take down, but I thought this was just shed hair from all the months of it being braided. And some of it was but some of it was breakage from my hair being dried out under the extensions. All extensions, wigs, wig caps have been treated with chemicals, even pre-washing them does not always remove all of the chemicals These chemicals sit on top of our hair and it dries it out this causes extra breakage, this is why some never reach their full growth potential although it seems they are rocking a no contact style.....OKay, well this is all I have, blessings to you on your journey.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply