Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair growth help

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Heyyysailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heyyysailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair growth help
    Posted: Jun 14 2013 at 3:22pm
I've been a lurker for a while now and I need some advice on what to do with my hair. I'll give a timeline up to the condition it is now. I think I have 3c/4ab hair.

Birth - age 11: Natural, no heat or relaxers, just braids and twists. My grandmother cared for my hair basically
Age 11: got my first relaxer,
afterwards my hair was well past bsl down my back and very healthy, of course it frizzed up the next day and my grandma had the stylist cut it to just past shoulder length. I had a few more relaxers and it seemed to remain healthy

Age 12-14: shaved my head and wore it that way as a fashion statement until 15
15-17: allowed it to grow out but neglected regular washing, bleached multiple times and stated using clip ins
18-20: dyed back to my natural color during pregnancy and around 19 began bleacing to white not washing, abusing clip ins until my hair was all broken,off and white, dyed it black agaim regain lots of growth
20-22(present)- just as my hair seemed healthy again I start with the dye (keep in mind im only washing every few months bevause I thought it was normal)
Looked in the mirror a few months ago and said hey this isnt right. I started washing weekly/bi weekly with hair one, deep condition with bioinfusion, seal with olive oil and coconut milk... But I've got traction alopecia.. Mild.. From clip ins (ive only had 2 sew ins ever) the majority of the overprocessed hair has grown out. My hair is shoulder,length. I dont abuse my clip ins anymore. Take them out to sleep. But I HAVE to flat iron every day. I dont like the shrinkage. Is it possible to get my hair back to age 11 length but use heat every day and not chop it. My hair grows fast when I dont dye it. And im taking biotin.

Sorry about the lengthy post :/
Sponsored Links

MizzMizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzMizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:17pm
I definitely know for sure that heat on your hair daily is not good and will only further damage your hair. I used to wrap my leave out when I wore clip ins and that help to maintain the leave out for at least a week.
MissAnnaMC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAnnaMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 3:52pm
Try styles that don't require heat. Protective styles preferably, ponytails or braid outs etc.
Noone on here is going to condone the daily use of heat nor believe that you HAVE to do it.
Maybe post a pic of your hair so we can suggest specific treatments.
Putting rollers in your hair can stretch it out without damaging it with heat. Try that as an alternative :)
Flat ironing it every day will leave your hair thin and brittle and weaken it making it break so please stop that lol especially if you're looking for growth.
Also, jamaican black castor oil will help grow back any balding areas but you'll need to change your habits for your hair health to improve. x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heyyysailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2013 at 1:33pm
I only say heat is necessary because I don't like the look of natural hair on myself and have long since given up on trying to accept my natural texture.Its something I just can't accept. I've hated it since I was very little. Although I can say its grown a little over an inch in the last month since I've been nicer to it. But I feel like I'm going to continue wasting money on extensions forever just because the longer it gets the harder it is to manage! I'm giving up dye for a long time though. I wish I had my daughter's 3b hair. I'll try to get a clear picture once my daughter gives up my computer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAnnaMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 8:50am
There's a lot of natural styles that could look good. 
Try this style  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKRoQ-6MIhs
no heat, minimal manipulation and it looks really cute.

When I went to uni I used heat everyday thinking as long as I look after it and everything it should be fine. erm, after a couple of months I got heat damage and my curls wouldn't gold anymore and my hair started to look stringy. I was being difficult and didn't want to cut it but it all broke off eventually anyway and I thought it was just regular shedding but now that i've started looking after it I lose about 30 strands a week.

Try a month or 2 weeks of no heat, force yourself to deal with it and experiment with different styles. It should help =]

What is it about your natural texture that you don't like :( is the curl pattern too tight? 

Edited by MissAnnaMC - Jul 05 2013 at 8:50am
CharlieMarxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 12:29pm
I've just started my hair journey, literally about a week ago under the strict advice from my older sister whose hair is about mid-back length while mine is approximately neck to shoulder length. I don't know the correct terminology. But, whatever I'm having some trouble finding hairstyles that I one like, but two that can last me at least a few days without doing my hair over. I feel I should go through my hair history:

10-14: Basic relaxers, no heat styling. I was stuck with ponytails and barrettes. Wash every two weeks. Sometime during 7th or 8th grade I got box braids with weave.

Freshman Yr of HS: Relaxer every 4 or 5 months, set in rollers mostly and air drying. Looking back my hair was extremely healthy.

Sophmore Yr of HS: Relaxer every 4 or 5 months, lots of blow drying, I wore it down alot even on humid/rainy days. I hated ponytails and wearing my hair up, I don't know why I was really self conscious about my face.

Junior YR of HS: I started wearing box braids with weave and would get them redone maybe every two months, I honestly can't remember washing my hair super often or even conditioning it. I wore my hair like that from September to the middle of January like that. Then I began relaxing every 4 to 5 months again. My hair was about armpit length. I think I was blowdrying it.

Senior Yr of HS: I wanted a change so I took one of my first trips to a salon. I hadn't gone to one in almost 10 years. I got my first hot oil treatment and deep conditioner there. I also got bangs. I bought a flat iron in about October and it was my best friend for a very long time. I didn't use it that often at first maybe once every two weeks. Then I began to use it every two days. If I saw any part of my hair frizzy or kinking up I'd straighten it. I was blowdrying and straightening at this point.

Freshman Yr of College: My senior yr behavior continued. Although I was blowdrying alot less, but was still straightening very very often. In the summer since I was working I would straighten it but put it in a ponytail. I trimmed my hair sometime in August, maybe about an inch was taken off bcuz my hair was really uneven. I got a relaxer in August I think and then again in January.

Sophmore Yr of College: I got a relaxer in August. As Fall came I began wearing hats bcuz I didn't feel like doing my hair everyday especially bcuz I was commuting and it was cold and I had to get up at 6 to get to class on time. That continued up until about March. I was not blowdrying at all basically. My hair is basically the same exact length it was in September. I decided to get Senegalese twists in May. I took them out 3 weeks later bcuz they were not done how I wanted them and the weave was slipping and my roots were puffy.

Now: I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with my hair. I am actively taking a major break from flat ironing and blow drying my hair. My hair is just in a state of chaos though, it's like screaming at me that it wants a relaxer, but that bitch needs to pause and take it down.I honestly don't like braids, they are just not me but I feel that I'm warming up to the idea more and more bcuz it's hot and I feel I've been spending dubious amounts of time trying to tame my mane. My hair needs some TLC right now, I need to try and get it back to at least what it once was by December and then even longer and better than that. My question here is how do I get to that? My idea is that if I wash co wash and deep condition until September than I box braid it and wear it like that until December I will be doing it the healthy and effective way. Though I would just like to box braid it now and wear it like that till December. I'm not sure. Advice plz????????????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAnnaMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 6:47am
The sooner you put it in a protective style the better.
The first couple months into a transition are the hardest but once you break through it it'll be a breeze.
Try co-washing once a week and deep conditioning every time you do it.
Try not to change up your regimen too often cause you wont be giving any products a fair chance to show what they can do. 
I know everyone says this but the key is consistency and patience. Try and keep your hair away from the elements as much as you can.
No one really likes it cause it's boring and we wanna have fun with our hair but as long as you keep it moisturised and leave it alone (minimal manipulation) it'll grow and it'll be strong and healthy in no time =]
follybeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote follybeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 10:07am
Helpful information are shared! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heyyysailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 7:07pm
Its the curl pattern, length, and all the damage I've done. I have "chemical layers" And my curls are really tight and have no definition when they dry.. My bangs seem to be the healthiest (never frizz, bone straight, and almost no curl) I also noticed since I started using the bioinfusion critical care masque I started having a lot of breakage and shedding whereas when i was only doing the hair one I had almost no shedding. I like progressed backwards grrr. I thought bioinfusion was good, it had good reviews and ingredients.

I'm also really attached to the length from my clip ins. My boyfriend keeps saying leave them out and go natural. That he likes my natural hair that he's never allowed to touch (he's white lol)
I wish I had hair like Sydney Tamia Poitier. Her hair is gorgeous!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic