Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 5:14pm

I think genetics does have a bit to do with it.

Remember Genetics class when they talked about recessive genes and dominant genes? We used guinea pigs and dogs once. Anyway, depending on how they were mated, the offspring would have long hair or short hair. It also determined the color of it too. I know people are a bit different from animals but that's what we are basically. We share almost the same dna with animals (with certain variations), so why wouldn't the same principles apply to people?

Also, doesn't genetics determine which hairs on your body grow whatever length and where? Remember that woman, oh shoot, I can't remember what she was called. Anyhow, her entire face and body was covered with thick hair. It was due to a mutation in her genetics.

Think of armpit hair and leg hair. Some people's grows thick and long. On others it doesn't.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links

weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 5:25pm
i agree!
Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 5:31pm

Originally posted by LeoLea85 LeoLea85 wrote:

I've been reading in various places that your genes determine how long your hair will grow. At first I though it was true because I have this friend named Moire and she had black people hair that's permed. However, her mother is Native American and Moire's hair is really long. It's way past the middle of her back. But then I started noticing that people who wear dread locks and who are fully black have really long hair too! So, obviously it's not your genes that determine how long your hair grows, it's something else...

Or maybe it is that black people don't have the genetics for short hair as some people believe. It may just seem that way because it needs extra care to grow long. (something, I'm learning, some people aren't willing to do; pamper their hair)

???? I'm not sure though

Tara_Star View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 8:25pm

well if you think about it, maybe black hair isnt growing that slower than people think (if its well looked after and healthy that is) There are pics of natural black women (full black) and there hair is about shoulder length - if that was relaxed or pressed it would be bra strap! Just because our hair is coily it going to appear shorter.

And leolea, stick to what you think - theres sense in it..and i agree

Just remember its about the indivit\dual - and black peopel DO have to usually spend more time on there hair to get it in top shape... and its not impossible!! it can be done.

absaloot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 9:35pm

i just want to say first- that this forum is great,  i have learned a lot. now- about hair growth- a lot of it is genetic-but most of it is hair care! for some of us haircare is like a part time job.. i am one of those people. now i am a 100% african- so 100 % black, and my hair can grow to where it's at the middle of my back if relaxed, but probably not longer. butmy hair is so thin- that i just keep it med length, or in braids. i've always found it interesting that so many of my non black friends think that we black women cannot grow our hair long- which is not necessarily true. genetics definetly affect hair length, texture..but i think pretty much all black women can grow hair- sometimes climate is a factor- i have found my hair grows much faster- about 6-8 inches a year in really humid climates, but in dry climates- i'm lucky if it grows 3 or 4. what makes me sad is that i know a lot of girls who rely on weaves constantly cause they think their hair will never grow, mean while they're not putting in the effort to grow their own hair out. you got to have at least a plan of how to help your hair be healthy and grow. the weave dependency syndrome for some people is almost like self-hatred- like they don't even want to give their hair a chance- alright that's my rant. anyone have any tips on products proven to help hair grow faster?

gigglez07 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2004 at 6:42pm
i have no clue, but i want my hair to grow. um i have a friend who has permed thick long hair, and i just stare at it in class wondering how it is possiblt. she does hae indian descent in her, but i do too and i have medum length hair. i used to have long hair though .
Tara_Star View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2004 at 8:54pm

Originally posted by absaloot absaloot wrote:

what makes me sad is that i know a lot of girls who rely on weaves constantly cause they think their hair will never grow, mean while they're not putting in the effort to grow their own hair out. you got to have at least a plan of how to help your hair be healthy and grow. the weave dependency syndrome for some people is almost like self-hatred- like they don't even want to give their hair a chance- alright that's my rant. anyone have any tips on products proven to help hair grow faster?

I agree 

Some people dont give their hair a chance and its like a part time job for me now too...never used to be. Surge is supposed to be good - ive got some only started using it monday ill see how it goes...so far its doing just fine

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic