Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHair Growth and Genetics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
LeoLea85 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Growth and Genetics?
    Posted: Apr 25 2004 at 10:45am
I've been reading in various places that your genes determine how long your hair will grow. At first I though it was true because I have this friend named Moire and she had black people hair that's permed. However, her mother is Native American and Moire's hair is really long. It's way past the middle of her back. But then I started noticing that people who wear dread locks and who are fully black have really long hair too! So, obviously it's not your genes that determine how long your hair grows, it's something else...
Sponsored Links

BabyFace15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2004 at 11:02am
Genes determine how fast your hair grows. Not how long it can be. Alot of black women think that they can not grow long hair, and that anyone that dose, is mixed. Not true. You have to give it tender love and care, us especially have our hair is alot more fragile that other hair types yet most of us also use the harshes products and take the leat care. That is why alot of black women have short unhealthy hair. Not because of genes.
sweet_c View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2004 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by BabyFace15 BabyFace15 wrote:

Genes determine how fast your hair grows. Not how long it can be. Alot of black women think that they can not grow long hair, and that anyone that dose, is mixed. Not true. You have to give it tender love and care, us especially have our hair is alot more fragile that other hair types yet most of us also use the harshes products and take the leat care. That is why alot of black women have short unhealthy hair. Not because of genes.

Well said!

However, Leolea, you can't really point to dreadlocks as an example.  When you have dreds, your hair does not shed.  So the hairs that would have been shed after they have grown to their full length instead become part of the dred.  A person who can grown knee length hair in dreds may not be able to grow hair the same length out of dreds due to genetics.

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2004 at 2:48pm
not ture Sweet, they can grow the same length hair if they take care of it.  Genetics only dictates how fast or slow your hair grows...you and what you are willing to do, dictate how long it will grow.
RyansGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2004 at 3:08pm

Originally posted by BabyFace15 BabyFace15 wrote:

Well Put!!!!

skinbeauty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2004 at 3:19pm

I think I anyone can take their hair from dry, damaged, short and uncared for to long, healthy and well nourished.

It's all about how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.  regular deep conditioning, treatments and a good regimen with suitable products, good diet and healthy lifestyle, environment (including weather), vitamin supplementation etc can all play a very vital and important role in the overrall condition, appearance and length of an individual's hair.

Also, too much combing of the hair in my opinion weakens the hair.  Rastas and people with dreads don't comb their hair and so the hair is able to thrive as it's left alone.  Dreads are also stronger as the hairs intertwine and become like rope which makes the hair very strong, resilient and less likely to break.

Just my two pence worth

Oh and Shelleross had a topic entitled Can all black women grow long hair? 

You might like to take a look at that very long and interesting thread

silvergirl1234 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 12:43am

I think all hair has a terminal lenght (as hair grows in a cycle of growing, resting and sheding) but its not as short as some ppl would believe. Ive read that all hair can grow to AT LEAST brastrap lenght (if taken care of). Taken care of your hair is the main factor in how long your hair can grow, you may not be able to make it to tailbone or knee lenght due to genetics, but everyone should be able to grow a  strong healthy 12 inches of hair.

Only1biancab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 1:59am
The average length of hair is 70 to 90 centimeters.  That's about 27.5 to 35.5 inches.  There are factors in hair that are predetermined from what I have read about, but I still haven't seen anything that says hair length is predetermined.  I'm looking.  My personal opinion is that we cut short the potential of our hair by how we take care of it.  Hair is in the growing phase for at least two years to up to seven.  If most people fall in the middle, that's about four years of growth.  It could grow at least twenty-four inches in that time, so if there is a limit, it probably isn't short.  You can believe that.
BabyFace15 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 4:01pm
12 inches is a bit short.  I personally think that everyone can get it to waist, it just will take some longer than others. The slower your hair grows the more you have to take care of it. A person who's hair grows 3 inches a year should pay a holw lot more attention to their hair than a person who grow 6 inches a year (that person could easially have three inches of breakage and have the same grow results as the other).
LeoLea85 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2004 at 4:54pm
I sort of understand what the people who think that genetics does play a role in how long a person's hair can grow are saying but, I'm still sticking to my first decision. I mean, I've noticed black girls who aren't mixed and they have chemically altered hair but it's still to the middle of their back. I asked them if it was fake but it wasn't. Then I asked them how they took care of their hair and they had practically a whole 3-hr list of things they do to take care of their hair which made me wish I hadn't asked in the first place. (lol) I believe that if a person just takes care of their hair the RIGHT way, they can at least grow it past their shoulders.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic